Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

05 Aug 2011 21:38 #1 by Rockdoc
I've had it with the political posturing on this board. I don't want to hear one thing (political blame game) on this thread. If you can't avoid that, then don't post here. We've had enough blaming and little or no thought given to doing something positive. It's time to act.

By now it is obvious that our government is in deep trouble. If our government is in trouble so are we because the powers that be there will shunt the burden on all of us. Times are difficult already and promise to get worse. So what I'd like to do here is brainstorm about how to best get through the even more difficult times that lie ahead. Brainstorming means any idea that comes to you should be recorded, but not evaluated at this juncture. I want to hear your suggestions on what community members can and should do to avoid being ground into dust. So let hear those ideas you have and then let us review them later to see what we as a community can do to survive the expected onslaught. I want us to be prepared.

One thing is bartering. Establish a list of what people have to offer so that those in need can get help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Aug 2011 21:41 #2 by lionshead2010
We could start by stopping the rudeness towards each other and the name calling. We could take a moment to try and see the world through the eye's of the person we are talking to.

I think the term is civility.

05 Aug 2011 21:53 #3 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Rockdoc Franz wrote: I've had it with the political posturing on this board. I don't want to hear one thing (political blame game) on this thread. If you can't avoid that, then don't post here. We've had enough blaming and little or no thought given to doing something positive. It's time to act.

By now it is obvious that our government is in deep trouble. If our government is in trouble so are we because the powers that be there will shunt the burden on all of us. Times are difficult already and promise to get worse. So what I'd like to do here is brainstorm about how to best get through the even more difficult times that lie ahead. Brainstorming means any idea that comes to you should be recorded, but not evaluated at this juncture. I want to hear your suggestions on what community members can and should do to avoid being ground into dust. So let hear those ideas you have and then let us review them later to see what we as a community can do to survive the expected onslaught. I want us to be prepared.

One thing is bartering. Establish a list of what people have to offer so that those in need can get help.

I'm retired so when i'm home during the school year I have a lot of time on my hands...And i'm quite skilled around the house so I guess I could offer my Handyman Services? And i'm willing to barter. So you homemakers PM me..I'll do all those jobs your husbands are too lazy to do in a timely fashion- And i'll do em a whole lot better than he does

05 Aug 2011 21:54 #4 by lionshead2010

05 Aug 2011 21:56 #5 by archer
Keep an eye on the seniors in your family and in your community. Many live on SS plus whatever they get from investments....many will see their nest egg shrink far more than it did this last recession. Most seniors are the very last people to ask for help........ pride, a fear of losing their independence, whatever.....will keep them from admitting to others that they can't pay for meds, food, or their mortgage...We have neighbors in AZ that were barely getting by before this all came down, now they will be even more afraid to dip into their meager savings. I fear for them.

This may be the time we need to look out for each other.

05 Aug 2011 22:01 - 05 Aug 2011 22:02 #6 by AspenValley
I have been reading a lot of books about the Great Depression. It was fairly common in some communities for jobless workers to band together to start little businesses on their own when traditional employers weren't hiring. Maybe develop "incubators" for something like this, or support groups for people trying to brainstorm how to earn some money when they lose their job?

I read about groups in Appalachia getting together to gather and market native mountain herbs, and about groups in Maine making Christmas Wreaths for a co-op where they all chipped in for the marketing in New York City. These probably wouldn't work around here (or maybe they would???) but I'm sure there are things similar people could do.

05 Aug 2011 22:02 #7 by lionshead2010
It may be time to dust off "The Grapes of Wrath".

05 Aug 2011 22:16 #8 by Blazer Bob
I think it was in the history of Fairplay that I read about people there reworking mine tailing's during the depression.

AspenValley wrote: I have been reading a lot of books about the Great Depression. It was fairly common in some communities for jobless workers to band together to start little businesses on their own when traditional employers weren't hiring. Maybe develop "incubators" for something like this, or support groups for people trying to brainstorm how to earn some money when they lose their job?

I read about groups in Appalachia getting together to gather and market native mountain herbs, and about groups in Maine making Christmas Wreaths for a co-op where they all chipped in for the marketing in New York City. These probably wouldn't work around here (or maybe they would???) but I'm sure there are things similar people could do.

05 Aug 2011 22:21 #9 by otisptoadwater
How about volunteering and giving to charity? If you still have the means to do so be generous with your time and/or money. Regardless of how we got here and who dunnit, reality is that this is the mess we are in and it's up to us to start making right from what is wrong.

I'll stop there otherwise I'll go into what I think about what happened and what parties are at fault...

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

05 Aug 2011 22:25 #10 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

otisptoadwater wrote: How about volunteering and giving to charity? If you still have the means to do so be generous with your time and/or money. Regardless of how we got here and who dunnit, reality is that this is the mess we are in and it's up to us to start making right from what is wrong.

I'll stop there otherwise I'll go into what I think about what happened and what parties are at fault...

All the money and labor gets lost when you give it to some bureaucratic charitable organization....I want to go right to where i'm needed the most, and I want the needy to get 100% of what I got to give..

Time to create page: 0.321 seconds