Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

15 Sep 2013 07:42 #481 by HEARTLESS
With the current flooding and resulting isolation in Colorado, can anyone except the true nanny state folks find an argument against preparedness?

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Sep 2013 07:50 #482 by FredHayek

HEARTLESS wrote: With the current flooding and resulting isolation in Colorado, can anyone except the true nanny state folks find an argument against preparedness?

Good point. While some preppers do go into the lunatic. There will be times when having 2 weeks worth of food will be a blessing or a small generator. I was just in the grocery store and the bottled water had been cleared out and I wasn't even close to the flooding. You can't count on the stores to have product when disaster strikes.

Another tip: rotate the stocks on your water and food by buying stuff you use.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Apr 2014 20:02 #483 by ScienceChic
I saw this event that's coming up and thought of this awesome old thread.
The Spring Denver Handmade Homemade Market

We are welcoming the 2014 season of the HAHO with open arms, because there are some amazing things brewing at HAHO headquarters. Fiscal sponsorship is right around the corner, and we are building programs to be incorporated into our new non-profit status. Workshops will be at all of the markets, and vendors will now have the opportunity to apply to be a part of our Vendorship Program. This program is designed to cut vendor's overhead while motivating them to purchase their materials locally and keep with their business-building goals! More information coming to the website soon.

For April 12th, we will be hosting over 30 new and returning vendors, ranging from handmade clothing, jewelry, pet products, ceramics and home goods to art, a wide range of food, body products and toys!

The Bell Hours will be joining us for our musical pleasure, along with Pony Treats serving up delightful vegan food. This year, we are going to also host more workshops and our first should be during the market! Check back soon for updates, or visit http://www.denverhaho.org

Denver Handmade Homemade Market Club, 734 Santa Fe Drive, Denver, Colorado 80204
Denver Handmade Homemade Market Club Facebook Page

Edit to add: I'm loving their focus and efforts.
http://www.denverhaho.org/

The HAHO...

Fosters economic resilience by using a community-supported business model featuring local, small-scale producers of art, craft and food

Tests out alternative economic strategies such as bartering, skill-sharing and local currency

All while enjoying live music, great food and building a culture of creativity in Denver!

The OP of this thread, as a reminder of what it was started for...

Rockdoc wrote: I've had it with the political posturing on this board. I don't want to hear one thing (political blame game) on this thread. If you can't avoid that, then don't post here. We've had enough blaming and little or no thought given to doing something positive. It's time to act.

By now it is obvious that our government is in deep trouble. If our government is in trouble so are we because the powers that be there will shunt the burden on all of us. Times are difficult already and promise to get worse. So what I'd like to do here is brainstorm about how to best get through the even more difficult times that lie ahead. Brainstorming means any idea that comes to you should be recorded, but not evaluated at this juncture. I want to hear your suggestions on what community members can and should do to avoid being ground into dust. So let hear those ideas you have and then let us review them later to see what we as a community can do to survive the expected onslaught. I want us to be prepared.

One thing is bartering. Establish a list of what people have to offer so that those in need can get help.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

03 Apr 2014 14:15 #484 by FredHayek
Denver Post had an article about this last week, Cottage they called it. The Denver Country Fair can be a good place to learn about how to be more self sufficient.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds