Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

17 Oct 2011 17:30 #431 by BadgerKustoms

AspenValley wrote: This forum has degenerated into a really idiotic "left/right" mud flinging contest .

Agreed, not sure how certain community 'leaders' would favor such a thing even though the benefits are obvious. But on an individual level many things can be accomplished that not only render the grid irrelevant, but also a community struggling for leadership.... in other words, its sometimes best to walk away from the group and do one's own thing to make others see enlightenment. PM on the way...

Badger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Oct 2011 18:05 #432 by HEARTLESS
AV, other than the usual VL comments and other posts to him, I must not have noticed the left/right mud flinging to which you refer. First off, are you talking permanent solar or a mobile capable system? I am waiting on delivery of 6ea. 30 watt panels, 3ea. 350 hour power packs (batteries), 2ea. inverters, a few LED lights, etc. It is mobile and will power the refrig/freezer (primary purpose) and can be used for other things as well. There are portable solar and wind trailers that could be used for both mobile or permanent. The energy credits are one of the things that can make paybacks a feasible reality on permanent installs. The biggest potential problem with all our electrical supplies is the EMP pulse possibility both man caused (nukes) and natural (solar flares). Here is a link to the commission report. http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473 ... on-7MB.pdf

The silent majority will be silent no more.

17 Oct 2011 18:10 #433 by AspenValley

HEARTLESS wrote: AV, other than the usual VL comments and other posts to him, I must not have noticed the left/right mud flinging to which you refer. First off, are you talking permanent solar or a mobile capable system? I am waiting on delivery of 6ea. 30 watt panels, 3ea. 350 hour power packs (batteries), 2ea. inverters, a few LED lights, etc. It is mobile and will power the refrig/freezer (primary purpose) and can be used for other things as well. There are portable solar and wind trailers that could be used for both mobile or permanent. The energy credits are one of the things that can make paybacks a feasible reality on permanent installs. The biggest potential problem with all our electrical supplies is the EMP pulse possibility both man caused (nukes) and natural (solar flares). Here is a link to the commission report. http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473 ... on-7MB.pdf

No idea how you could have missed the (pointless, useless) mud flinging, it's at least 85%, more like 95% of the content of this forum.

Yes, EMP pulse possibility is definitely a huge concern. My concern is how people can cope, individually and as a community, with potential grid failure without investing amounts beyond the reach of most in this financially difficult period.

PM if you have ideas in that regard.

17 Oct 2011 18:26 #434 by HEARTLESS
If you refer to the whole forum, people will never agree when politics and religion are involved. If we're talking issues, then things can be discussed more civilly. There are already reasonable hardening fixes proposed, but this doesn't get the interest of most people or politicians. I personally always seek the most low tech solutions to our high tech problems, since high tech (though convenient) is fragile.

17 Oct 2011 18:38 #435 by BadgerKustoms
High-tech is of course most susceptible to EMP in the first place. EMP creating devises are quite easy to make with many things that can be found in the average home these days. What is getting fewer and far between are those bulky electronics deemed "junk" due to their bulky and basic nature... those items however are more capable of withstanding low level EMP and easily rebuilt with scrap parts. A few personal favorites are large capacitors, old car alternators, gear sets and a couple mini-lockers from differentials.

Books.... (not E-books) are also very useful to have even if considered cumbersome items that take up home space. Off grid solutions work amazingly well in emergency situations however its also important to remember that knowledge and ability can also make someone a target.

"Hey.... how come Badger's lights still work when no one else's do?" Fortunately being a community 'asset', or rather part of a team that is, should help keep panic at a minimum.

Badger

17 Oct 2011 18:50 #436 by HEARTLESS
Hey Badger, I think I mentioned earlier that black visqueen on inside of windows makes for great light management. Proper light management can draw in low life thieving, zombies if so desired or appear a complete blackout if going unnoticed is more beneficial.

23 Oct 2011 03:18 #437 by Rockdoc
Came across this today and think it rather appropriate.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"

I don't think we are that far away from when duty will call us.

24 Nov 2011 14:14 #438 by bailey bud
additions to my abilities:

I wasn't in the mood to pay the local wrench $500 - and did the following on my Toyota:

Basic mechanical work
- oil change
- brake pad & rotor changes
- rotate tires
- top off fluids and check belts

I can also do other work as needed (spark plug changes, coolant change/flush, replace serpentine belt, pull codes to diagnose engine problems)

I've got nothing against the wrench - but simply don't feel like it was worth $500 to do the work I did (it cost me $200 for parts-- I saved $300!)

24 Nov 2011 21:41 #439 by Rockdoc

Martin Ent Inc wrote: And the government wants to make living off the grid a crime.

http://offgridsurvival.com/livingoffthegridcrime/

Just took time to watch the fist video and was sickened by the whole affair. It reeks of political underhandedness and it is exactly the kind of BS that will unite people against their government. A government obviously not interested in governing people, but destroying them for self-serving interests, whatever they may be. If you can not answer a simple question about why those houses needed to come down or why property owners were not allowed to live on their property, then you have some serious issues. Of course we are talking Claifornia.. ...

I'm left stunned.

25 Nov 2011 13:31 #440 by Martin Ent Inc
Wait till we see what the government has planned for our future.

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds