Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

02 Mar 2013 13:47 #471 by Blazer Bob
I did not really follow this thread and I did not read the link I am posting but it came to me via a retired Green Beret.
Thought it might be of interest if it hasn't been covered somewhere in the last 47 pages.

"Why You Should Think Like A Green Beret Instead Of A Doomsday Prepper"

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/why-you- ... per_022013

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Sep 2013 17:19 #472 by ScienceChic
Read this and thought of this thread. :wink:

Five edible insects you really should try
Joost van Itterbeeck, Wageningen University
Wednesday, 04 September 2013

Edible insects are great alternatives to conventional sources of meat as they’re cheap, plentiful and excellent sources of protein and fat, as well as vitamins and minerals.

Analyses of insects also show huge variation in nutritional value and composition – between species, their stages of development and even due to the insects' diet.

With around 2000 edible insect species worldwide, those below are some of the better alternatives to eat.
Grasshoppers
Palm grubs
Mopane worms (or caterpillars actually)
Mealworms
Black soldier flies maggots
Editor's Note: This article was originally published by The Conversation, here, and is licenced as Public Domain under Creative Commons.

List of edible insects of the world (April 4, 2012)
The list has been compiled by Mr. Yde Jongema, taxonomist at the Department of Entomology of Wageningen University, the Netherlands.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Sep 2013 07:59 #473 by FredHayek

Blazer Bob wrote: I did not really follow this thread and I did not read the link I am posting but it came to me via a retired Green Beret.
Thought it might be of interest if it hasn't been covered somewhere in the last 47 pages.

"Why You Should Think Like A Green Beret Instead Of A Doomsday Prepper"

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/why-you- ... per_022013 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Totally agree with this theory. On your own, even a large family will be missing much knowledge, tools, experience, etc. It is a much better idea to mobilize the neighborhood.
You can work together & watch each others backs. It can be tough to manage a diverse group but the natural leaders will rise up.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Sep 2013 09:25 #474 by Venturer
Interesting concept Blazer Bob. I would be more inclined to think this way after a couple of months after all the freeloaders have left. Water will be the most challenging issue for any area. Pumps, generators and gasoline will only last so long as will the people. Only the hardy will remain and more than likely they will have been acting on their own and not necessarily living in a corrugated pipe, although an interesting idea. How many work well with an HOA or other neighbors now? How many will fall in line with a natural leader? How many are on their own now? More than likely only a handful in comparison to the numbers in the mountains.

09 Sep 2013 09:52 #475 by FredHayek
I had a HS science teacher who told us if we had stored grain we should let the insects eat it since the bugs were a wider source of protein and vitamins than the grain.

Science Chic wrote: Read this and thought of this thread. :wink:

Five edible insects you really should try
Joost van Itterbeeck, Wageningen University
Wednesday, 04 September 2013

Edible insects are great alternatives to conventional sources of meat as they’re cheap, plentiful and excellent sources of protein and fat, as well as vitamins and minerals.

Analyses of insects also show huge variation in nutritional value and composition – between species, their stages of development and even due to the insects' diet.

With around 2000 edible insect species worldwide, those below are some of the better alternatives to eat.
Grasshoppers
Palm grubs
Mopane worms (or caterpillars actually)
Mealworms
Black soldier flies maggots
Editor's Note: This article was originally published by The Conversation, here, and is licenced as Public Domain under Creative Commons.

List of edible insects of the world (April 4, 2012)
The list has been compiled by Mr. Yde Jongema, taxonomist at the Department of Entomology of Wageningen University, the Netherlands.

09 Sep 2013 12:57 #476 by Venturer

FredHayek wrote: I had a HS science teacher who told us if we had stored grain we should let the insects eat it since the bugs were a wider source of protein and vitamins than the grain.

Now there is an interesting concept and better use of grain? Thanks for the idea. Think I will try it.

09 Sep 2013 15:51 #477 by Venturer
Maybe not such a good idea. At least I don't think Div of Parks and Wildlife will like it. Not less than hour after i set out some uncooked Quinoa because that is what I had available a bear made a visit. I knew something had shown up as I put it near a sensor that buzzes. Chased the bear off and fox showed up and ate it. So so much for attracting insects. I would put it in the garage but don't want a bear to break in. Any other suggestions as to how to draw the insects w/o inviting the bigger wildlife?

09 Sep 2013 15:54 #478 by Venturer
Since they are so plentiful has anyone eaten the roots of thistles over a long period of time? I have tried them, both raw and cooked but have never tried to sustain myself on them. Thanks.

09 Sep 2013 21:30 #479 by otisptoadwater
Bugs, grubs, worms and such are not my favorite sources of protein. I'd rather use them as bait to catch some fish or snare some small game. So once you manage to snare some tasty varmints or catch some fish how are you going to go about cooking them? When the whip comes down a conventional wood fire might gain you some uninvited dinner guests that are more interested in taking what you have, not sharing with you, and probably not even saying thank you as they liberate all the good stuff you used to have.

What to do? I don't recommend eating game or fish raw and I prefer to boil my water rather than chuck in some hailzone tablets or carry around a gallon of bleach and hope I get the ratio of bleach to dirty water right before I drink it. With the exceptions of the really remote ends of the earth, can you think of a place that you couldn't find an empty aluminum can and some alcohol?

[youtube:2bd3s11q]
[/youtube:2bd3s11q]

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

09 Sep 2013 21:32 #480 by FredHayek

WindPeak wrote: Maybe not such a good idea. At least I don't think Div of Parks and Wildlife will like it. Not less than hour after i set out some uncooked Quinoa because that is what I had available a bear made a visit. I knew something had shown up as I put it near a sensor that buzzes. Chased the bear off and fox showed up and ate it. So so much for attracting insects. I would put it in the garage but don't want a bear to break in. Any other suggestions as to how to draw the insects w/o inviting the bigger wildlife?

The bears and fox bring their own insects, like fleas. :graduate:

Time to create page: 0.377 seconds