Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

09 Sep 2012 10:48 #461 by BadgerKustoms

archer wrote: Prepare for the future, but don't be preoccupied by it.

An excellent statement and one I actually encourage of others. I spent some time watching a few of those TV shows about preppers and they inadvertently showcase the difference between preparation and obsession or obsessive/compulsive behavior that is. Hearing how many hours some of these people spend getting ready for a scenario that though 'plausible', isn't 'likely'. And of course I've met some locals who do very much the same thing. To each their own.

On a side note, I'm a fan of cold war era things. The technological advancements, (some of which we even use in evolved form today), the artwork, and of course the allure of nuclear power. I'll admit it, I'd love to have my own personal fallout shelter. But that's the "collector" mindset in me, not a paranoid, "war is coming!" kind of thing. It would be like my own little mini museum of cold war artifacts, books, etc.

KodiakJack wrote: I am planning on having a room or area dedicated to emergency supplies, at least enough to feed my family for a couple months.

I'm actually in the process of evolving my home business to include instruction and techniques of such things. (i.e.Ways to store food/water, quantities and how to maximize without over-extending the living space. Self-sufficient advice on growing one's own food, alternative heating/cooking methods, techniques for quickly gathering family and needed items in case of evacuation, and such.) Experience comes partially from having grown up in Florida (hurricanes/tornadoes, etc.) and I'm also part of a local group who practices emergency techniques because we do happen to live in an area where help might not be here for a few hours if preoccupied.

Also been drawing many concepts and blueprints for BOTs or "Bug Out Trailers" we'll be building, which can be pre-filled with one's necessities, hooked up and towed at a moments notice. Imagine, clothes packed, extra meds, vitamins, food, water, etc. in a mini/fold out camper set up with kitchen, solar, etc., for that home away from home experience. Would be good for camping, or very practical if evacuation was necessary.

Last but not least, since everyone got a glimpse into my life.... My family does the most important of things, LIVE. We love nature, love our gardening and animals, fishing and hunting are way up on the list. Got a tag for archery antelope and going back out Monday to continue the hunt. Its what we enjoy and why we live in the beauty of the mountains. By definition, we are indeed considered "preppers", but I just can't group us in with the ones that I've seen on TV. The sky isn't falling.... I don't see any local rioting, and as far as I know zombies are still too busy with their noses in cellphones and text messages to be an issue. tongue:

IF something bad were to happen, as long as my family is close we're going to continue on the best we can with what we have, and as long as I breathe I'll make sure their happiness is my top priority and that they're taken care of.

Badger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Sep 2012 10:56 #462 by ScienceChic
Sounds sensible Badger, I like it! I'd be interested in some of those classes of yours too.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Sep 2012 11:35 #463 by LadyJazzer
Here something to make your eyes glaze over:

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.asp ... lang=en-US

It's on SALE! ... A whole year's worth (for one person)...Delivered! $1200 !! Wow! I should stock up now! :biggrin:

09 Sep 2012 18:02 #464 by akilina
Thanks D4S! Time to restock.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

07 Feb 2013 20:14 #465 by ScienceChic
Found a great Facebook site that's right up the alley of this thread: Colorado Wilderness Bushcraft and Survival

They shared this video today, thought it was worth putting in here.
[youtube:ttzuobw2]
[/youtube:ttzuobw2]

There's another fb page that's worth mentioning too: School of Wilderness Medicine and Survival

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

07 Feb 2013 21:18 #466 by deltamrey
Long thread.....Note as of late Vigirina is attempting to create a state currency based on silver and gold coin........BUT the FEDS will try to stop it because a local currency including barter is a direct threat to central power. ....... if started on a large scale even locally the police will be sent to make examples......one needed approach is to locally elect DAs and Sheriffs that will not pursue minor issues......next election pin them down......vote them out if need be.

Now Barter on a large local scale is a great idea especially if done in a large coordinated cooperative effort......and wampum was the first "money" used on the East coast as a fair foundation for exchange among Europeans and Native Americans......not coin and Barter was extensively used but coordinated.

07 Feb 2013 21:20 #467 by deltamrey
BTW....the FEDS (IRS) requires Barter be valued and reported as income ..............: )). IF you own a business of course using some valuation method Barter can be expensed. POINT IS the FEDs are in your nickers all the time.......

07 Feb 2013 23:38 #468 by Jekyll

BadgerKustoms wrote:

archer wrote: Prepare for the future, but don't be preoccupied by it.

An excellent statement and one I actually encourage of others. I spent some time watching a few of those TV shows about preppers and they inadvertently showcase the difference between preparation and obsession or obsessive/compulsive behavior that is. Hearing how many hours some of these people spend getting ready for a scenario that though 'plausible', isn't 'likely'. And of course I've met some locals who do very much the same thing. To each their own.

On a side note, I'm a fan of cold war era things. The technological advancements, (some of which we even use in evolved form today), the artwork, and of course the allure of nuclear power. I'll admit it, I'd love to have my own personal fallout shelter. But that's the "collector" mindset in me, not a paranoid, "war is coming!" kind of thing. It would be like my own little mini museum of cold war artifacts, books, etc.

KodiakJack wrote: I am planning on having a room or area dedicated to emergency supplies, at least enough to feed my family for a couple months.

I'm actually in the process of evolving my home business to include instruction and techniques of such things. (i.e.Ways to store food/water, quantities and how to maximize without over-extending the living space. Self-sufficient advice on growing one's own food, alternative heating/cooking methods, techniques for quickly gathering family and needed items in case of evacuation, and such.) Experience comes partially from having grown up in Florida (hurricanes/tornadoes, etc.) and I'm also part of a local group who practices emergency techniques because we do happen to live in an area where help might not be here for a few hours if preoccupied.

Also been drawing many concepts and blueprints for BOTs or "Bug Out Trailers" we'll be building, which can be pre-filled with one's necessities, hooked up and towed at a moments notice. Imagine, clothes packed, extra meds, vitamins, food, water, etc. in a mini/fold out camper set up with kitchen, solar, etc., for that home away from home experience. Would be good for camping, or very practical if evacuation was necessary.

Last but not least, since everyone got a glimpse into my life.... My family does the most important of things, LIVE. We love nature, love our gardening and animals, fishing and hunting are way up on the list. Got a tag for archery antelope and going back out Monday to continue the hunt. Its what we enjoy and why we live in the beauty of the mountains. By definition, we are indeed considered "preppers", but I just can't group us in with the ones that I've seen on TV. The sky isn't falling.... I don't see any local rioting, and as far as I know zombies are still too busy with their noses in cellphones and text messages to be an issue. tongue:

IF something bad were to happen, as long as my family is close we're going to continue on the best we can with what we have, and as long as I breathe I'll make sure their happiness is my top priority and that they're taken care of.

Badger

Outstanding Badger. I'll pay closer attention to your posts regarding "prepping" and hope to be in on some of your instruction. I'm currently learning to weld, and I'm doing quite well with it. Just picked up a Millermatic 212 *Auto Set* and am planning projects and doing some now. If the sh** ever hits the fan, I figure the world will need a good welder. Pa also has a stick welder that I'll be learning on professionaly. I've done some rudimentary stuff with stick welding, but now I'll be taking it to the next level (these puppies in particular can be ran off of daisy chained car batteries). Just food for thought. Good post buddy.

08 Feb 2013 07:18 #469 by FredHayek
While those preppers obsess over unlikely scenarios, too many other pollyannas don't want to think about preparing for fairly common issues, like preparing for a rainy day financially, job loss, fire mitigation, and health concerns.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Feb 2013 00:14 #470 by Jekyll

FredHayek wrote: While those preppers obsess over unlikely scenarios, too many other pollyannas don't want to think about preparing for fairly common issues, like preparing for a rainy day financially, job loss, fire mitigation, and health concerns.

Got it covered Fred, thanks for reminding me though : )

Time to create page: 0.361 seconds