Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

06 Sep 2012 17:03 #451 by Martin Ent Inc
Most will sit and wait till nothing comes to help then they will scream and panic.
Those that have made even small attemps to prepare will be OK. those that do nothing will become fodder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Sep 2012 17:26 #452 by LadyJazzer
And those that refuse to listen to the fear-mongering and hysteria by wackos will enjoy a nice glass of tea on the deck and watch the extremists spend a lot of money on MRE's and extra ammunition for a conflagration that is only going to happen in their minds....

06 Sep 2012 17:27 #453 by Martin Ent Inc
You are definately not in the know.

06 Sep 2012 18:47 #454 by KJack
Where I'm from (Kodiak AK), it would be one of the best places in the world that I can think of if the poop hits the fan. Most of the energy is from windmills and hydro and there is an endless food supply on the land and surrounding ocean. Just my luck to move to this beautiful state and all hell breaks loose. Hope you're all just nervous nellies cuz I would be very unprepared.

07 Sep 2012 19:15 #455 by BadgerKustoms
SC's post sort of hints on a 'born' trait for some of us. There are those of us who keep and maintain a "help is not coming" mentality and is the very reason some of us have continued to thrive and conquer in many situations. Not to insult what I'd suspect it a bit of a majority here, but I've seen many times where someone of a Christian based faith with stop dead in their tracks or even drop to their knees and exclaim "Oh GOD!!" in various situations.... no offense, but you'll get a lot more accomplished if you get up off your ass and tackle the problem head on. But then again that's what separates our religions perhaps.

On another related note, the whole "fear mongering" concept is somewhat of a misconception. Yes, there are some interesting people who fall into the category of 'preppers' and several of the more colorful ones seem to find their way onto the television and provide a source of entertainment and comedy to us all. But there are a great many of us who actually don't 'fear' much at all. We're not paranoid, we have no pre-conceived notions or predictions, just possible "what-ifs".

For example: What if a wildfire is near my home and I'm asked to evacuate? Various food, water, and many other items can be grabbed in a moments notice and the family can travel safely in mere minutes.

Scenario 2: Monumental blizzard. Those who were here several years ago remember when we ended up with about 9' of snow out there. In many areas power went out, road travel was almost impossible for some and their homes became either a den.... or a prison to those ill prepared. We had plenty of food, candles and lanterns, we cook on a woodstove in the winter anyway.... Home was quite cozy actually and with enough provisions that travel wasn't necessary.

Prepping is actually very fun to some of us. Its not that you have a fear of anything really and you live life comfortably, sometimes more than most others do. The largest would-be obsticle in any less than desirable scenario is of course the "human factor". Just because you and your's have their heads on straight, doesn't necessarily mean others do. This is compounded by what would ordinarily be perceived as "help" too. Law enforcement and emergency officials trying to regain control and bring order to a situation still see you as a civilian and will quite often request the wrong thing, or wish to have you perform actions that are completely unnecessary (to your specific abilities), and otherwise counter productive to your methodology. In an evacuation you could be asked to head to a local school, assemble in the gym with others, some of whom are quite hysterical and annoying in such a situation. You're given blankets, pillows, canned goods, and all stuff that guess what?.... YOU DON'T NEED BECAUSE YOU ALREADY HAVE SUCH ITEMS AND SHOULDN'T REALLY BE DEALING WITH.

I'm sort of getting ahead of myself now, but again, "fear" isn't often in the vocabulary. Knowing yourself, and your own, keeping a plan and keeping stocked is very rewarding and allows for far greater opportunities than the proverbial grasshopper will attain.

Badger

07 Sep 2012 23:33 #456 by archer
For those of us who lived during the "cold war" this prepper stuff is very familiar. I often wonder how many back yards behind 1950's homes have a buried fallout shelter that the current residents don't even know exists. There were many in the neighborhood where I grew up. What ever makes you sleep well at night is just fine with the rest of us, I guess I am more of the mentality that being responsible for yourself and your family is good, but obsessing on the what ifs, and worrying about what might happen, can blind you to the wonders of today. I just don't want to live that way. Prepare for the future, but don't be preoccupied by it.

08 Sep 2012 10:33 #457 by Mtn Gramma

BadgerKustoms wrote: SC's post sort of hints on a 'born' trait for some of us. There are those of us who keep and maintain a "help is not coming" mentality and is the very reason some of us have continued to thrive and conquer in many situations. Not to insult what I'd suspect it a bit of a majority here, but I've seen many times where someone of a Christian based faith with stop dead in their tracks or even drop to their knees and exclaim "Oh GOD!!" in various situations.... no offense, but you'll get a lot more accomplished if you get up off your ass and tackle the problem head on. But then again that's what separates our religions perhaps.

On another related note, the whole "fear mongering" concept is somewhat of a misconception. Yes, there are some interesting people who fall into the category of 'preppers' and several of the more colorful ones seem to find their way onto the television and provide a source of entertainment and comedy to us all. But there are a great many of us who actually don't 'fear' much at all. We're not paranoid, we have no pre-conceived notions or predictions, just possible "what-ifs".

For example: What if a wildfire is near my home and I'm asked to evacuate? Various food, water, and many other items can be grabbed in a moments notice and the family can travel safely in mere minutes.

Scenario 2: Monumental blizzard. Those who were here several years ago remember when we ended up with about 9' of snow out there. In many areas power went out, road travel was almost impossible for some and their homes became either a den.... or a prison to those ill prepared. We had plenty of food, candles and lanterns, we cook on a woodstove in the winter anyway.... Home was quite cozy actually and with enough provisions that travel wasn't necessary.

Prepping is actually very fun to some of us. Its not that you have a fear of anything really and you live life comfortably, sometimes more than most others do. The largest would-be obsticle in any less than desirable scenario is of course the "human factor". Just because you and your's have their heads on straight, doesn't necessarily mean others do. This is compounded by what would ordinarily be perceived as "help" too. Law enforcement and emergency officials trying to regain control and bring order to a situation still see you as a civilian and will quite often request the wrong thing, or wish to have you perform actions that are completely unnecessary (to your specific abilities), and otherwise counter productive to your methodology. In an evacuation you could be asked to head to a local school, assemble in the gym with others, some of whom are quite hysterical and annoying in such a situation. You're given blankets, pillows, canned goods, and all stuff that guess what?.... YOU DON'T NEED BECAUSE YOU ALREADY HAVE SUCH ITEMS AND SHOULDN'T REALLY BE DEALING WITH.

I'm sort of getting ahead of myself now, but again, "fear" isn't often in the vocabulary. Knowing yourself, and your own, keeping a plan and keeping stocked is very rewarding and allows for far greater opportunities than the proverbial grasshopper will attain.

Badger

Excellent post! And may I add this to your first paragraph: Pray to God BUT ROW FOR SHORE!!

08 Sep 2012 14:40 #458 by KJack
That was a great post badger. I like the way you think, kinda like what we do in Kodiak being often isolated from the rest of the world due to weather issues. Nothing burns in Kodiak because of the Seatle-like climate so I've never had to consider the dangers of fire until now. I am planning on having a room or area dedicated to emergency supplies, at least enough to feed my family for a couple months. If a real shit storm ever looks inevitable, I'll be packin my stuff and heading back up north. I don't want to be anywhere near a big city full of desperate people (or zombies).

08 Sep 2012 20:19 #459 by Martin Ent Inc
Badger and us have anti Zombie equipment.
And our neighbors are on the same pages.

08 Sep 2012 21:42 #460 by Blazer Bob

Mtn Gramma wrote: [
Excellent post! And may I add this to your first paragraph: Pray to God BUT ROW FOR SHORE!!

LOL. Reminds me of a sign outside of CIC (combat information center), In God We Trust, all others we track.

Time to create page: 0.337 seconds