Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

05 Sep 2011 15:06 #381 by Local_Historian
You're right, VL - don't teach your grandkids how to do anything - not make change, manage a budget, do laundry, cook food, sew on a button, hell there's even velcro shoes - why learn how to tie them.

Cause they'll be just fine in the world if everyone else does everything for them, right?

We have the same words for that type of person we did when we were kids - clueless, idiots, and victims.

I get why they call you what they do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Sep 2011 16:23 #382 by Blazer Bob

Local_Historian wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote: The standard used to be a sourdough - you kept a crock of starter on the shelf. As long as you remember to "feed' it, it will go on indefinitely -

On a related note, you jarred loose an old memory.

Two or three decades a go my wife and I read a book about a family that maxed out their credit, let every thing get repossessed and moved to a trailer or some kind or shanty somewhere in the woods. It details how they survived on next to nothing.

One of the things we remember is that they kept a pot of something perpetually simmering on the stove, they kept adding to it and ate off of it for days, weeks, months(?).
Seems like it was potato soup but don't quote me.

If that rings a bell with anyone , we would love to find that book again.

05 Sep 2011 16:44 #383 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Local_Historian wrote: You're right, VL -

Thanks. Like my old Grandad used to say. "Tomarow is the best time to do any job."

05 Sep 2011 17:12 #384 by Rockdoc

Local_Historian wrote: OK - now I had to go look up wild yeasts and how to get them - looks like we're in a perfect spot, according to this article:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Foo ... Yeast.aspx

Be careful, if you are allergic to molds, you can get those too.

WOW. I had no idea. Thank LH for finding this information. It will be quite an adventure to have a look around and experiment with this. I think it would be fun to do so with other interested people, thus building a sense of ant community. lol

05 Sep 2011 17:18 #385 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Rockdoc Franz wrote: It will be quite an adventure to have a look around and experiment with this. I think it would be fun to do so with other interested people, thus building a sense of ant community. lol

You sure know how to have a good time, don't ya?

05 Sep 2011 17:50 #386 by Rockdoc

neptunechimney wrote:

Local_Historian wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote: The standard used to be a sourdough - you kept a crock of starter on the shelf. As long as you remember to "feed' it, it will go on indefinitely -

On a related note, you jarred loose an old memory.

Two or three decades a go my wife and I read a book about a family that maxed out their credit, let every thing get repossessed and moved to a trailer or some kind or shanty somewhere in the woods. It details how they survived on next to nothing.

One of the things we remember is that they kept a pot of something perpetually simmering on the stove, they kept adding to it and ate off of it for days, weeks, months(?).
Seems like it was potato soup but don't quote me.

I don't have an answer to your question, but do want to make a correction. The quote you attribute to me should be credited to LH. She is the one who came up with that information, not me. I'm not that knowledgeable on starter dough or sourdough bread. Thanks LH for expaning our knowledge.

06 Sep 2011 09:53 #387 by AspenValley

neptunechimney wrote: [

"Possum Living", maybe?

06 Sep 2011 10:32 #388 by UNDER MODERATION
..Here's how its most likely gonna end people. Yellowstone is going to blow up and put so much material into the atmosphere that we will have perpetual winters for about 10 years, 10 years were the average temperature in Bailey Colorado will be around -100 degrees. All the sprout farms, mason jars full of nuts, pickled vedgtables, solar gates, guns, and recon squads aren't gonna do anybody a bit of good when you all become human popsicles. So enjoy the sun while we still have it, and hopefully most of us here will die from the intitial explosion and ash fall.

And the odds of this happening in our lifetimes are extremley long

I'm saying 5000-1

06 Sep 2011 10:52 #389 by ScienceChic
When Yellowstone goes, it will be the end of life as we know it, not just ten years of winter.

And the odds are higher than that of it happening in our lifetimes. Just FYI.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 Sep 2011 10:53 #390 by Martin Ent Inc
Yes once again the resident dunce has no clue as to WTF he's talking about.

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds