Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

04 Sep 2011 19:15 #361 by Rockdoc
Bread is a basic staple. While it is relatively easy to store flower, sugar and salt, the same can not be said for yeast. What do we do about having enough active yeast to make bread? Has anyone experimented with making their own yeast, other than in starter dough? I understand it involves fermenting Grapes, raisins and pomolo in spring water. But what is pomolo?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Sep 2011 20:30 #362 by Residenttroll returns

Vice Lord wrote: You guys feel smart now, but just imagine how you smart youre gonna feel when dummies like me are starving and you guys are kicking back in your survivalist paradises?

Guys like you will be depending on Obama to feed you...or stealing....

04 Sep 2011 20:49 - 04 Sep 2011 21:06 #363 by Hoot Owl
Wow, you sound very intent about this. You built a mansion, only to worry about the end of the world? Sad. I am sure Badger and Martin Enterprises will help you get solar powered gates to ward off the masses.

However, I applaud you for taking care of the family.

You dont need yeast to make bread. By the time your dry active yeast expires, the world will probably also. You can also use baking soda. A starter dough, is probably your best, most natural option. It really doesnt take up much room. The pioneer women used starters.

I dont know what pomolo is, but google comes up with this
http://firrkids.blogspot.com/2011/08/po ... -grow.html
not helpful

04 Sep 2011 21:05 - 04 Sep 2011 21:38 #364 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Hoot Owl wrote: Wow, you sound very intent about this. You built a mansion, only to worry about the end of the world? Sad.

And ridiculous..You gotta enjoy life, not spend it worrying about your inevitable death.

Hoot Owl wrote: I am sure Badger and Martin Enterprises will help you get solar powered gates to ward off the masses.

lol

Hoot, I don't remember if you are Republican or Democrat , I think I remember you bashing me before... but anyway, do you wanna be friends?

04 Sep 2011 21:09 #365 by BadgerKustoms
There is quite a bit of difference between "the end of the world" and TEOTWAWKI. (The End Of The World As We Know It.)

In one such scenario, no amount of planning will be sufficient and all attempts are purely futile. The world or its inhabitants will be eradicated in some way, shape or form.

In the other scenario, only the system of livelihood will be effected. This could be as a result of some natural disaster, either local or global, it could be economic, could be the result of war.... many factors actually. In this scenario its important to remember that those unprepared will be the largest direct threat in most cases (with perhaps the exceptions of war.). Having enough food, water, and provisions may sound like a massive endeavor but when you take into consideration that its only pertaining to the family at hand, its really not that much.

Perhaps the greatest reward is the amount of money a family can save by learning the values of self-sufficiency. Creating one's own food from scratch also not only prepares them, but unites and keeps them stronger as a family. Think of it as a hobby born from "potential chaos". I for one support and endorse it. Its a celebration of life, not an instance of looking forward to eminent death. We all have to die sometime, its how we choose to live that separates the sad, from the enlightened.

Badger

04 Sep 2011 21:11 #366 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through
I disagree Badger...Can ya handle that or are we gonna have a problem?

04 Sep 2011 21:12 #367 by UNDER MODERATION

residenttroll wrote:

Vice Lord wrote: You guys feel smart now, but just imagine how you smart youre gonna feel when dummies like me are starving and you guys are kicking back in your survivalist paradises?

Guys like you will be depending on Obama to feed you...or stealing....?

Most likely stealing

04 Sep 2011 21:53 #368 by Hoot Owl

Vice Lord wrote:
Hoot, I don't remember if you are Republican or Democrat , I think I remember you bashing me before... but anyway, do you wanna be friends?

No. I dont wanna be your friend, today or tomarrow, thanks for asking. :lol:

04 Sep 2011 21:56 #369 by UNDER MODERATION
Well I had to try

04 Sep 2011 22:28 #370 by Hoot Owl

Vice Lord wrote: Well I had to try

Sucks to be you.

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds