Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

04 Sep 2011 22:30 #371 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Hoot Owl wrote:

Vice Lord wrote: Well I had to try

Sucks to be you.

lol , Not all the time, just most of it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Sep 2011 22:35 #372 by Hoot Owl

Vice Lord wrote:

Hoot Owl wrote:

Sucks to be you.

That really made me laugh out loud.
Honesty
Priceless!

04 Sep 2011 22:37 #373 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Hoot Owl wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Hoot Owl wrote:

Sucks to be you.

That really made me laugh out loud.
Honesty
Priceless!

Ya gonna reconsider that previous offer then?

05 Sep 2011 03:19 #374 by Rockdoc

Hoot Owl wrote: Wow, you sound very intent about this. You built a mansion, only to worry about the end of the world? Sad. I am sure Badger and Martin Enterprises will help you get solar powered gates to ward off the masses.

However, I applaud you for taking care of the family.

You dont need yeast to make bread. By the time your dry active yeast expires, the world will probably also. You can also use baking soda. A starter dough, is probably your best, most natural option. It really doesnt take up much room. The pioneer women used starters.

I dont know what pomolo is, but google comes up with this
http://firrkids.blogspot.com/2011/08/po ... -grow.html
not helpful

No not the end of the world at all, just difficult times. Having parents who went through depression and difficult times in Germany instilled a sensitivity to recognizing the signs of pending difficulties. So I like being prepared no matter what it is. Not worried about mass invasion. Will have rifle to handle that.

There is something gratifying in knowing you can live off the land if need be. It's not like anything being done is wasteful. If the difficult times do not materialize, I can still use things used for precaution purposes. I like being a renaissance man and keeping busy. To get there, I still have a bunch of things to learn. Now is the time to do that. Then I can really take care of my family and help others in need. It's gratifying to do so and put yourself in a position so you can.

Baking soda does not give you the same results for bread. I prefer not to bake daily, but rather on a need basis. My bread baking experience is limited to fresh or active yeast. No experience with starter dough. Am willing to learn, but would like to learn how to actually make yeast more so.

05 Sep 2011 08:46 #375 by Martin Ent Inc
It willl suck to be alot of people. Always better to be prepared and then find you don't need all, than to need a little and have none.
The grasshppers of the world will find stealing can lead to a quick need nothing anymore, Preppers aren't just stocking food.

05 Sep 2011 10:54 #376 by UNDER MODERATION
No it won't because wether you people want to recognize it or not we are all in the same little boat together. People aren't gonna starve while your sitting in your compound living "the good life".... lol

Wake up guys...It's common sense, and it's history.

05 Sep 2011 11:33 #377 by Local_Historian

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Bread is a basic staple. While it is relatively easy to store flower, sugar and salt, the same can not be said for yeast. What do we do about having enough active yeast to make bread? Has anyone experimented with making their own yeast, other than in starter dough? I understand it involves fermenting Grapes, raisins and pomolo in spring water. But what is pomolo?

The standard used to be a sourdough - you kept a crock of starter on the shelf. As long as you remember to "feed' it, it will go on indefinitely - thus leavened bread. Or you learn to suck it up and have unleavened flat breads, like pita breads, tortillas, etc.

You start with yeast, but you can keep it going without access to new yeast, or youcan harvest wild yeasts -I did not lokk that up, but if I remember correctly, it has something to do with sitting a bowl of flour and water outside for a bit and leting then collect "naturally" . I dunno - look it up.

BTW - do NOT put sourdough starter in the fridge - it can kill it. Ask me how I know. So many people seem to think everything needs to be refrigerated - it doesn't. Here's the best recipe I found that points out that you can leave it on the counter. I've seen this work best in a dark colored crock rather than a clear bowl.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/So ... tarter.htm

05 Sep 2011 11:41 #378 by Local_Historian
You say it's history - what revisionist history are you reading - people are starving daily, around the world - and no one is feeding them. Fuedal lords lived the high life while their peasants starved. Ever heard of the Great Potato Famine? Are you really really THAT clueless?

I'll be living life happily - and well fed. And if you try to come take what I've worked hard to have and keep, then you're one grasshopper this ant will not tolerate. Not a threat, merely a promise. Cause if it gets to that point, there will be no law but that which we impose ourselves. And do note that not only am I going to help me, mine, and those I CHOOSE only, I am very much eye for an eye.

Run along grasshopper - it's almost fall.

05 Sep 2011 11:45 #379 by Local_Historian
OK - now I had to go look up wild yeasts and how to get them - looks like we're in a perfect spot, according to this article:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Foo ... Yeast.aspx

Be careful, if you are allergic to molds, you can get those too.

05 Sep 2011 12:23 #380 by UNDER MODERATION
When I was a child we used to refer to people like this as "spastics" or call them a "spaz"

Now as adults we use terms like "anal retentive worry warts"

Relax people, everthings gonna be just fine..Its a great day, just beautiful. It's a gift to be healthy and alive on a day like today..

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds