Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

04 Sep 2011 12:26 #351 by Rockdoc

BadgerKustoms wrote: I can answer pretty confidently on that one Rockdoc that no, plastic will not deter the right rodent. Having grown up on farms, I've seen the damage first hand, rodents are very determined little critters with an excellent sense of smell and can do quite a bit of damage to even a 5 gallon plastic bucket which is known to be thicker in construction than many 50 gallon trash cans and most barrels.

I would recommend glass containers, but then gravity becomes a factor. Operator error, or again rodent determination, (i.e. moving the container, resulting in a drop from a shelf), could cause the demise of certain glass containers.

The problem of metal containers is of course the potential for rust and corrosion. Hence the reason for lining the interior of the container with mylar or plastic for long term food storage.

**Note, this method is also very good for storing bulk human consumables.**

Badger

Kinda what I thought but was hoping to hear otherwise. We had a corn crib at home growing up. It essentially was a cage of 1/2 inch mesh wire. Something like that keeps the big rodents out but not mice. I marveled at how those guys got in there given every inch of it was tightly covered including the floor. I take it that mice will also crack through heavy duty plastic containers? Though desirable for storage, you noted glass is heavy and subject to breakage. I'm looking for inexpensive food storage containers. If you buy them new metal containers cost a bunch, since you need quite a number of them. With that in mind I've actually looked at ammo containers as a possible option. You can already see the FBI or CIA taking interest if I were to buy a bunch of those. lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Sep 2011 12:39 #352 by BadgerKustoms
http://coloradotankandbarrel.com/

Here is one good resource for storage ideas. I actually have a few, and ironically I have a local supplier for ammo cans that can be purchased in bulk, palletized lots very inexpensively and without having to submit any kind of identification. :wink:

Badger

04 Sep 2011 12:47 #353 by Rockdoc

BadgerKustoms wrote: http://coloradotankandbarrel.com/

Here is one good resource for storage ideas. I actually have a few, and ironically I have a local supplier for ammo cans that can be purchased in bulk, palletized lots very inexpensively and without having to submit any kind of identification. :wink:

Badger

Now that is perfect. I like the prices for the 55 gal food grade metal drums. You certainly have good sources. Thank you for the information. I see they also have those paletized plastic containers perfect for transporting water. I can see having a few of those on hand too.

04 Sep 2011 12:53 #354 by BadgerKustoms
I recently found another source for 275 gallon IBC totes at $75 each, (food grade, had agave syrup in them) however very limited in quantity and uncertain if a re-stock will occur.

Badger

04 Sep 2011 13:52 #355 by Rockdoc

BadgerKustoms wrote: I recently found another source for 275 gallon IBC totes at $75 each, (food grade, had agave syrup in them) however very limited in quantity and uncertain if a re-stock will occur.
Badger

Sounds like a job to clean them out. I will not be in a position to buy until Dec. anyway. I think these make great rain barrels and are movable with the skid loader. Put them up on a rack and you have gravity feed water for all kinds of things.

04 Sep 2011 16:09 #356 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through
You guys feel smart now, but just imagine how you smart youre gonna feel when dummies like me are starving and you guys are kicking back in your survivalist paradises?

04 Sep 2011 17:46 - 04 Sep 2011 17:50 #357 by archer
Rockdoc...when I bought my geodesic dome in Evergreen there were 250 five gallon plastic containers of dried food in a crawl space under the living room floor....they had been there at least 20 years and no mouse or other critter had ever gotten into them. And I did have mice and squirrels get in there. They were very heavy plastic, shaped like a milk can and sealed. I had the food tested and it was fine...good for a hundred years I was told. I donated it to the Denver Salvation Army for their soup kitchens.

04 Sep 2011 17:47 #358 by BadgerKustoms

Vice Lord wrote: You guys feel smart now, but just imagine how you smart youre gonna feel when dummies like me are starving and you guys are kicking back in your survivalist paradises?

You won't make it that long VL, I know where you live. Remember that.

Badger

04 Sep 2011 18:06 #359 by Martin Ent Inc

Vice Lord wrote: You guys feel smart now, but just imagine how you smart youre gonna feel when dummies like me are starving and you guys are kicking back in your survivalist paradises?

A true confession.

And we will be comfortable and not thinking about you grasshoppers.

04 Sep 2011 18:27 #360 by Rockdoc

Martin Ent Inc wrote:

A true confession.

And we will be comfortable and not thinking about you grasshoppers.

Amen said the ant.

Time to create page: 0.339 seconds