Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

08 Aug 2011 11:22 #61 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

AspenValley wrote: Just a thought for those of you who have mentioned hunting as a means of getting by. I've a feeling that game around here would be pretty scarce in pretty short order in a real "stuff hitting the fan scenario". I don't think I'd count on being able to depend on it for long.

Right, believe me..Corporate interests will have all the hunting rights..The rules will change imeadiatly, republicans will move to privitise wildlife- Because thats what they always do with any valuable commodity thats owned by the people-It will be illegal for me and you to tap into any possible money making natural resource...And like you say- The animals will be gone in 3-6 months

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2011 11:31 #62 by Rockdoc

AspenValley wrote: Just a thought for those of you who have mentioned hunting as a means of getting by. I've a feeling that game around here would be pretty scarce in pretty short order in a real "stuff hitting the fan scenario". I don't think I'd count on being able to depend on it for long.

That could well be, especially if there is intense pressure from town on top of that created by locals. With that in mind, perhaps keeping a flock of chickens, etc (well protected and out of sight) would be desirable. If you have a garden, then their feeding is less of an issue. Ultimately, if you can not feed them any more, you can still eat them. Like everything associated with difficult times, one needs to be constantly aware of shifting opportunities and remain very flexible. It's clear some people put genuine thought into possible consequences. Those are good for creating awareness. Thanks AV.

08 Aug 2011 11:50 #63 by Local_Historian
To add to the ideas and skills list:

My practical skills:

Sewing - new, repairs and some alterations
Baking
Cooking
Canning
Weaving -have my own loom
Kindling collection (Just can't chop the firewood anymore, but I sure can pick up sticks and pinecones!)
Candle making (just lack the supplies at the moment- think I still have some molds)
Basic in home needs - light cleaning, etc
Pet care
Child care - not often thought of, but most often needed.
Toy making - I like to do it, and I already donate a bunch every year, so, not a far stretch.
Painting - as in rooms

Those are the practical skills - art, costuming and millinery the not so practical

Ideas - Community dinners - weekly or bi weekly, everyone brings a dish (bigger the family, the more you bring), their own utensils and plates, have it at a time when most people could get there (Not just weekends). Could ask the Aspen Park Community Center ofr use of the space for this event. We used to do a community dinner like this in Gunnison, and it was always a hit and always good food.

Set up a board with a spreadsheet or some sort of database - what people can do what, how to contact them, as well as needs/desires. That will make it all run a bit easier.

I had another idea, but I lost it.

I'm hoping to get in the greenhouse and chickens next spring - which is another avenue for barter.

08 Aug 2011 12:04 #64 by Rockdoc

Local_Historian wrote: To add to the ideas and skills list:

My practical skills:

Sewing - new, repairs and some alterations
Baking
Cooking
Canning
Weaving -have my own loom
Kindling collection (Just can't chop the firewood anymore, but I sure can pick up sticks and pinecones!)
Candle making (just lack the supplies at the moment- think I still have some molds)
Basic in home needs - light cleaning, etc
Pet care
Child care - not often thought of, but most often needed.
Toy making - I like to do it, and I already donate a bunch every year, so, not a far stretch.
Painting - as in rooms

Those are the practical skills - art, costuming and millinery the not so practical

Ideas - Community dinners - weekly or bi weekly, everyone brings a dish (bigger the family, the more you bring), their own utensils and plates, have it at a time when most people could get there (Not just weekends). Could ask the Aspen Park Community Center ofr use of the space for this event. We used to do a community dinner like this in Gunnison, and it was always a hit and always good food.

Set up a board with a spreadsheet or some sort of database - what people can do what, how to contact them, as well as needs/desires. That will make it all run a bit easier.

I had another idea, but I lost it.

I'm hoping to get in the greenhouse and chickens next spring - which is another avenue for barter.

This is fantastic. Some of your suggestions would have applicability now... as in community dinners. Get to know your neighbors.

Sc, is it possible to have a interactive spread sheet here where posters could add their great new ideas?

Agree with you on kindling collection, especially for those unable to create firewood otherwise. In the early 50's we used to go out into the woods with mother and collect kindling, bundled it with wire collected from the local dump and carried it home where it fueled our wood burning kitchen stove. It heated our two room apartment, heated water for baths, and was used to prepare hot meals. An added benefit was a very clean forest without ladder fuel.

08 Aug 2011 12:20 #65 by AspenValley
Just some things I've been mulling over since this thread was first posted.

One, several younger people here (40ish is younger when you're 55) have mentioned that they never learned a lot of self sufficiency skills. And there are quite a few older people in this community who may have a lot of those skills but may not have the physical strength and stamina they once had.

Shouldn't there be some way the community could encourage pairing up an older person who knows a skill like plumbing or electrical wiring with younger people who could physically help out with the job and learn something about the skill at the same time? Say for instance an older person wanted to build a solar water heater. He knows how to do it, but could use some help in the actual execution. Meanwhile there are a couple of younger people who want to learn how to do it. Wouldn't that be a cool thing to pair them up?

Here's another idea...a lot of people here have listed skills they have. Wouldn't it be awesome to set up some free or low cost workshops where things like gardening, beekeeping, basic home repair skills, food storage, and other self-sufficiency skills could be organized at our community level?

Any thoughts?

08 Aug 2011 12:38 #66 by Rockdoc

AspenValley wrote: Just some things I've been mulling over since this thread was first posted.

One, several younger people here (40ish is younger when you're 55) have mentioned that they never learned a lot of self sufficiency skills. And there are quite a few older people in this community who may have a lot of those skills but may not have the physical strength and stamina they once had.

Shouldn't there be some way the community could encourage pairing up an older person who knows a skill like plumbing or electrical wiring with younger people who could physically help out with the job and learn something about the skill at the same time? Say for instance an older person wanted to build a solar water heater. He knows how to do it, but could use some help in the actual execution. Meanwhile there are a couple of younger people who want to learn how to do it. Wouldn't that be a cool thing to pair them up?

Here's another idea...a lot of people here have listed skills they have. Wouldn't it be awesome to set up some free or low cost workshops where things like gardening, beekeeping, basic home repair skills, food storage, and other self-sufficiency skills could be organized at our community level?

Any thoughts?

:biggrin: Lovely. I think those are excellent ideas, but as to their implementation now (would be preferable) I have some doubts. Most of us are quite busy and some of us working away from home for extended periods. A few years ago, I thought it might be good to make wooden toys for needy kids and offered my shop and materials. Had "0" takers. I take from that experience, that circumstances and timing have play an important role in this. Yet, I know there is some interest in woodworking classes by select individuals. If you are like me, you take making a commitment seriously and that means putting some meaningful effort and time into it. Personally, time is my greatest enemy. There is not enough of it or I simply do not manage it well enough to do all I'd like to do.

Keep your suggestions coming, including ways one might explore skill mentoring. Perhaps just bringing this out into the open will foster generating interest groups that could meet sporadically to best accommodate busy schedules?

08 Aug 2011 12:43 - 08 Aug 2011 12:45 #67 by Local_Historian
I can teach all the hand skills, as well as cooking on a wood stove - once it's cooler. I even have an old 1890s cookstove, but it puts out a lot of heat to cook adequately. So I could offer this in say, late november, early december.

Franz - that was a couple years ago - you might have takers now, especially if we made a class list and times, and put it out in the community.

08 Aug 2011 12:45 #68 by AspenValley

Local_Historian wrote: I can teach all the hand skills, as well as cooking on a wood stove - once it's cooler. I even have an old 1890s cookstove, but it puts out a lot of heat to cook adequately. So I could offer this in say, late november, early december.

I would so like to learn that! When I was a kid we had a wood cookstove in our summer cabin but we never actually used it except to heat with on cool evenings. I have often wished over the years that I'd learn to cook on it.

08 Aug 2011 12:47 #69 by Local_Historian
Something I had to learn working at the museum- and cooking on an open fire without setting yourself on fire for historic events.

It was a selling feature of the house to be sure. I've used it to cook on when the power has gone out; I think we'll use it more for cooking this year when it's just the two of us andalready being used for heat.

08 Aug 2011 12:52 #70 by Rockdoc

Local_Historian wrote: I can teach all the hand skills, as well as cooking on a wood stove - once it's cooler. I even have an old 1890s cookstove, but it puts out a lot of heat to cook adequately. So I could offer this in say, late november, early december.

Franz - that was a couple years ago - you might have takers now, especially if we made a class list and times, and put it out in the community.

Perhaps, but my main issue now is I have a very heavy work load, so little free time what so ever. The short periods I have somehow get gobbled up with catching up with family and various home projects. Got to make hay while the sun shines. I'll keep your suggestion in mind should I find an opportunity to get things started, or to even just participate were another to start something up.

Somehow our family on the NY homestead never got away from a wood burning kitchen stove. My brother still has and uses it extensively in his log cabin house. It's amazing how much heat they do put out and how steady the heat is for cooking and baking.

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds