Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

08 Aug 2011 08:58 #51 by Rockdoc

SS109 wrote:

deltamrey wrote: As predicted for three years - the economy up here is in deep trouble - and the retrogressive attitudes make it much worse. Bailey is probably a lost cause but Conifer has a great future IF it moves to the Evergreen model. The REC District vote tells me we are not ready to move forward

YET. Resistance to change will continue to drag us behind
the wealth flows UP the mountain and we must accommodate those that buy our real estate and services........or continue to lose the economic base that is the engine.

I have been noticing that since the early 70's, especially once you head upstream from Bailey. There used to be a lot of businesses up there, now many are shuttered, never to reopen. Reminds me of the empty storefronts in the rural midwest.

I hear in this thread about older people who still have good skills, but so many men in my generation, (40ish) and younger have below average basic skills, mechanics, electrical, plumbing, etc.
So many have specialized and never learned things outside their niche.

The price of information technology. Many fields have expanded to the point it is virtually impossible to learn everything in your field alone, let related areas. That said, I believe what lies ahed should be viewed as an opportunity for the younger generation to improve their skills and add to them. It often takes difficult times to evolve, because we are forced to do so, otherwise, like water, we follow a path of least resistance. I have great faith in people. They have a resolve to live that they may not even be aware of now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2011 09:15 #52 by FredHayek
If we do hit peak oil and cheap transportation is no longer available, it could help out local and regional farmers and manufacturers.
Back in the 1860's, South Park produced salt for the area, but once rail reached there the salt production shut down bacause they couldn't compete with out of state suppliers.
With less cheap energy, local suppliers wouldn't have all the cheap foreign competition. Downside, prices of goods would rise, and probably wages.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

08 Aug 2011 09:27 #53 by HEARTLESS
If you prepare for a relative worst case scenario, all else is a speed bump. Regarding money/wealth, don't stockpile somewhere you don't have ultimate control over, ie. banks. Remember the government will close the banks if they fear a rush. Real items are more valuable if it becomes a barter/trade economy than an impressive portfolio or bank statement. Look at the basics first, water, food, shelter, meds and so on. Know where you have year round water and have filtration and storage methods. Be ready to adapt, every rainfall provides water if you can collect it. Food, don't buy things you won't or don't eat except for trade/charity. If you have a greenhouse, you're way ahead of most. Your home, RV, backpacking and camping shelters are fine, so look at how to stay warm in a winter without electricity. Wood burning is better than nearly all other methods so long as you can initially light the fire. Chainsaws are great, but require fuel, oil and sharp chains to be useful, a hand saw is hard work but will be there when fuel isn't. Get saw files if you don't already have them (files may be the ultimate hand tool as you can sharpen axes, saws, etc.). Have a decent supply of all needed meds, both prescription and over the counter. These are just the basics, but I'll post more if this continues.
One last note, if your auto becomes a lawn ornament, do you have good boots, socks, bicycles, horses?

The silent majority will be silent no more.

08 Aug 2011 09:35 #54 by Sunshine Girl

HEARTLESS wrote: If you prepare for a relative worst case scenario, all else is a speed bump. Regarding money/wealth, don't stockpile somewhere you don't have ultimate control over, ie. banks. Remember the government will close the banks if they fear a rush. Real items are more valuable if it becomes a barter/trade economy than an impressive portfolio or bank statement. Look at the basics first, water, food, shelter, meds and so on. Know where you have year round water and have filtration and storage methods. Be ready to adapt, every rainfall provides water if you can collect it. Food, don't buy things you won't or don't eat except for trade/charity. If you have a greenhouse, you're way ahead of most. Your home, RV, backpacking and camping shelters are fine, so look at how to stay warm in a winter without electricity. Wood burning is better than nearly all other methods so long as you can initially light the fire. Chainsaws are great, but require fuel, oil and sharp chains to be useful, a hand saw is hard work but will be there when fuel isn't. Get saw files if you don't already have them (files may be the ultimate hand tool as you can sharpen axes, saws, etc.). Have a decent supply of all needed meds, both prescription and over the counter. These are just the basics, but I'll post more if this continues.
One last note, if your auto becomes a lawn ornament, do you have good boots, socks, bicycles, horses?

Excellent advice! I never thought about the files. Franz put in a cistern to collect the rain water, but it still needs to be tweeked a bit.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

08 Aug 2011 09:38 #55 by Rockdoc
Thank you for the very sound contribution Heartless. As you said, if we prepare (in the sense of taking stock of where we stand with regard to the worst case scenario, then you are way ahead). Let me reinforce your point regarding banks. My mother coming out to the post world war disaster in Germany, NEVER again wanted to put money in any bank because of her and her parents devastating experience with it.
One other addition to your good list is a hand pump and tube repair kit for your bikes.

08 Aug 2011 09:55 #56 by HEARTLESS
To give you an idea of how much I believe in self reliance, we have a bike repair stand, wheel truing stand and all the commonly needed bike repair tools. The last time I paid for any bike work was for a headset cut/square up for a new headset.
I also would recommend not only making a community wide skills list, but the same by subdivision if travel becomes a huge factor.
An eye opening, but somewhat frightening book to read is "One Second After" which is a fictional account of what happens after a nuclear EMP scenario.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

08 Aug 2011 10:06 #57 by AspenValley
Great book recommendation, Heartless. It's a scary read because it's extremely plausible.

08 Aug 2011 11:18 #58 by Local_Historian

bailey bud wrote: Wish I had more cash.

I have enough to last a couple of months. If I dip into retirement assets, we can likely last a year.

Then, we're in trouble.

Really wishing I didn't sink so much into my son's college (who unfortunately squandered it).

I have a basic wood shop (I make stuff out of pallet wood) - all that pallet wood out back could be turned into heat really quick, if necessary.

Like most Coloradans, I have a few firearms. Will likely start stocking up on 12 Ga shells for home defense ---- and .30-06 rounds for hunting (it's a lot cheaper than the meat prices at the grocery store)

A quick sidetrack - Bailey Bud, there is a house with a stack of pallets outside with a free sigh on Parker Road. Some are good, some are eh. Just letting you know.

08 Aug 2011 11:19 #59 by AspenValley
Just a thought for those of you who have mentioned hunting as a means of getting by. I've a feeling that game around here would be pretty scarce in pretty short order in a real "stuff hitting the fan scenario". I don't think I'd count on being able to depend on it for long.

08 Aug 2011 11:20 #60 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through
Its funny how this completely phoney crisis resulted in threads like this..I swear..You guys are being played like a fiddle

Why can't you see it

?

Time to create page: 0.348 seconds