Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

06 Aug 2011 08:57 #21 by deltamrey
CG - excellent comment - regardless the Evergreen model works (few skiers stop there BTW) because it services the residents that have the cash to spend. That segment gets the cash in Denver.......cater to the cash flow and progress will happen - econ 101.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2011 08:59 #22 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through
UPDATED LIST

Community skills
Carpentry
Rockdoc Franz
Baily Bud

Cabinetmaking
Rockdoc Franz

Jack of all Trades
Vice Lord

Electrical
Rockdoc Franz
Navycop7

Telephone repairs
Navycop7

Vegetable Gardening
Lil Precious

Hunters
Vice Lord

Firewood
Holly and Franz

Concrete work
Rockdoc Franz

Engine repair

Business Ideas
Incubators : Support groups for prople trying to brainstorm for idea on how to make money
1. Gather and market native mountain herbs
2. Christmas Wreaths for co-ops
3. Package firewood, kindling

Community Focus
Seniors (fixed income, pride, won’t ask for help)
Community gardens

06 Aug 2011 09:03 #23 by CinnamonGirl

deltamrey wrote: CG - excellent comment - regardless the Evergreen model works (few skiers stop there BTW) because it services the residents that have the cash to spend. That segment gets the cash in Denver.......cater to the cash flow and progress will happen - econ 101.

Then we can agree that Evergreen members tend to shop their own neighborhood but that is because they have things like Walmarts and that is because they are on the I70 corridor. Money flows there and can support the Walmart much better than the 285 corridor. It is sort of like a tipping point they start because more money comes in form I-70 then that keeps everyone up there.

Either way Evergreen shops their own neighborhood and gets some help from Denver. You guys do not have that luxury. So, your money is going back down the hill. I really do not know why you do not have a large Department store like a Target. If you can get something like that it might help keep people up there because if they have to go down more often it will snowball into just a trip to get everything down the hill. In my mind that would help alot.

06 Aug 2011 09:18 - 06 Aug 2011 09:34 #24 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through
Hey guys..All joking aside now. In a dog eat dog world only the strong will survive, and if it's just a very bad economy were talkin about here and you people are able to travel around and meet up without getting your throats cut.... this nonsense you're talking about would quickly turn into a Lord of The Flies scene that I don't think I'd wanna be a part of.

So If you're really this scared, become self suficient and fortify your home. Me personaly I don't wanna live in my dark cold house eating K rations and fighting off intruders, if that would even be possible..Look at history, when things were really bad men packed up into armys numbering in the hundreds and just raped and pillaged small villages for a living..Ya got no chance with these bake sales youre planning here

06 Aug 2011 09:25 #25 by CC

Vice Lord wrote:

otisptoadwater wrote: How about volunteering and giving to charity? If you still have the means to do so be generous with your time and/or money. Regardless of how we got here and who dunnit, reality is that this is the mess we are in and it's up to us to start making right from what is wrong.

I'll stop there otherwise I'll go into what I think about what happened and what parties are at fault...

All the money and labor gets lost when you give it to some bureaucratic charitable organization....I want to go right to where i'm needed the most, and I want the needy to get 100% of what I got to give..

There are lots of needs right here in this community. We have a new group here on 285bound. That might be a good place to start.

06 Aug 2011 09:33 #26 by UNDER MODERATION

Becky wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

otisptoadwater wrote: How about volunteering and giving to charity? If you still have the means to do so be generous with your time and/or money. Regardless of how we got here and who dunnit, reality is that this is the mess we are in and it's up to us to start making right from what is wrong.

I'll stop there otherwise I'll go into what I think about what happened and what parties are at fault...

All the money and labor gets lost when you give it to some bureaucratic charitable organization....I want to go right to where i'm needed the most, and I want the needy to get 100% of what I got to give..

There are lots of needs right here in this community. We have a new group here on 285bound. That might be a good place to start.

I'm always ready!

06 Aug 2011 09:44 #27 by deltamrey
CG - in part correct. The folks there (I am not) by incorporation control their community.......we do not. The Wall Mart thing is minor (the core of Evergreen is not that little center off I70). The cash at the core comes mostly from Denver - people choose to live there because of the excellent services and amenities. I predict we will evolve to a real town - the sooner the better.

06 Aug 2011 09:51 #28 by ScienceChic

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Let me summarize a few things here:

Preparations you can make
1. Get out of debt fast
2. hoard cash maybe even convert it to euros - The euro's likely to be hard hit too, would wait on that
3. Rent, don’t buy
4. Secure guaranteed income
5. Stock up on Food
6. Stock up on Ammunition
7. Don’t pay someone else to provide something you can do or learn how to do
8. Learn new skills/trades by apprenticing if possible

Community skills
Carpentry
Rockdoc Franz
Baily Bud
Extreme Moderate

Cabinetmaking
Rockdoc Franz

Electrical
Rockdoc Franz
Navycpo7
Extreme Moderate

Plumbing
Extreme Moderate

Telephone repairs
Navycpo7

Vegetable Gardening/Canning
Science Chic

Hunters
Grady
Jonathan Hemlock
Photo-fish (if by hunting you mean stalking fish!)

Firewood
Holly and Franz

Concrete work
Rockdoc Franz

Engine repair
Small Hoffman Engine Repair (aka Mr. Dimplszz)

Business Ideas
Incubators : Support groups for people trying to brainstorm for idea on how to make money
1. Gather and market native mountain herbs
2. Christmas Wreaths for co-ops
3. Package firewood, kindling

Community Focus
Seniors (fixed income, pride, won’t ask for help)
Community gardens
285Bound's "Bound To Help Our Neighbors" Group
Support Our Local Businesses/Non-Profits (Mountain Resource Center, Mountain Peace Shelter, IMHS, EAPL, etc)

Let me know if I can add you to a list or create a new skill set

purple = me and hubby
blue = what I know of others, but I can't speak for them that they'd be willing to share their skills (although I'm pretty sure they would!)
But, like Robyn says, let's wait and see how everything shakes out before panicking too badly. Of course it never hurts to be prepared, learn new skills, to live fiscally responsibly, and to be open to helping your neighbors! :sunshine:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 Aug 2011 09:52 #29 by CC

Vice Lord wrote:

Becky wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

I'm always ready!

pm bootlegger

06 Aug 2011 09:57 #30 by Rockdoc

deltamrey wrote: CG - in part correct. The folks there (I am not) by incorporation control their community.......we do not. The Wall Mart thing is minor (the core of Evergreen is not that little center off I70). The cash at the core comes mostly from Denver - people choose to live there because of the excellent services and amenities. I predict we will evolve to a real town - the sooner the better.

And why not? Conifer certainly is not any further to Denver, but it lacks the conveniences as you mention. Significant change has already shaped Conifer over the past decade and will continue to do so. Commuting through the canyon is perhaps a little more hazardous in the winter than I-70 (though the ice on I-70 always is a significant challenge, especially when you see the 2 wheel drive vehicles going nowhere). I expect we will see Conifer property become highly desirable, especially if they do ever develop the tech center once talked about along C470.

Oh I do believe in being prepared. There is no panic in any of this, just a heads up and shaping of a plan that can be invoked when the need arises. We put the word out here and work through 285 bound.

Time to create page: 0.570 seconds