Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

08 Aug 2011 14:37 #91 by AspenValley

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

AspenValley wrote: I can make jerky and know how to dry foods. Also sprouting. Anyone interested in learning to sprout?

Also yogurt and yogurt cheese.

Maybe a class that includes how to bake bread, make yogurt and grow sprouts all in one workshop? Because there is a bunch of time in between mixing the bread and baking the bread.

Pardon the , but what is sprouting?

You know the bean sprouts in Chinese food? Alfalfa sprouts for sandwiches and salads you can buy at the grocery store? Wheat sprouts for smoothies you've probably seen at the juice bars?

You can grow sprouts from stored wheat, beans, peas, seeds, all kinds of things. When you sprout stored foods it increases the vitamin content a lot. If you were stuck with a diet of nothing but wheat and beans you would quickly get scurvy or other nutritional deficiencies but if you sprout some of the same foods you can have fresh "veggies" year round even without a garden or greenhouse within days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2011 14:40 #92 by Rockdoc

AspenValley wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

AspenValley wrote: I can make jerky and know how to dry foods. Also sprouting. Anyone interested in learning to sprout?

Also yogurt and yogurt cheese.

Maybe a class that includes how to bake bread, make yogurt and grow sprouts all in one workshop? Because there is a bunch of time in between mixing the bread and baking the bread.

Pardon the , but what is sprouting?

You know the bean sprouts in Chinese food? Alfalfa sprouts for sandwiches and salads you can buy at the grocery store? Wheat sprouts for smoothies you've probably seen at the juice bars?

You can grow sprouts from stored wheat, beans, peas, seeds, all kinds of things. When you sprout stored foods it increases the vitamin content a lot. If you were stuck with a diet of nothing but wheat and beans you would quickly get scurvy or other nutritional deficiencies but if you sprout some of the same foods you can have fresh "veggies" year round even without a garden or greenhouse within days.

Love sprouts and Chinese food especailly. Obvious mental disconnect. LOL happens too often to my liking. That would be interesting to learn. Thank you for the enlightenment.

08 Aug 2011 14:42 #93 by HEARTLESS
Sprouting can be done on window sills, hanging baskets, etc. As AV says, it can provide the minimums to help maintain health.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

08 Aug 2011 14:46 #94 by Rockdoc

HEARTLESS wrote: Sprouting can be done on window sills, hanging baskets, etc. As AV says, it can provide the minimums to help maintain health.

LOL with 72 (I think) windows in our house and a greenhouse, I think we have enough sills to give it a go.

08 Aug 2011 15:30 #95 by AspenValley

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

HEARTLESS wrote: Sprouting can be done on window sills, hanging baskets, etc. As AV says, it can provide the minimums to help maintain health.

LOL with 72 (I think) windows in our house and a greenhouse, I think we have enough sills to give it a go.

Actually, you don't even need a windowsill. I sprout right on my kitchen counter.

08 Aug 2011 16:38 #96 by PrintSmith

AspenValley wrote:

Martin Ent Inc wrote: Not many people would hunt or can hunt, alot will not go where the animals are, so as far as reducing a large #,,, very doubtful.

Maybe not many people know how to hunt well. But not go where the animals are? There was a nice big buck on my deck eating petunias this morning!

Low hanging fruit always disappears quickly. Being successful after the easy pickings are gone is a horse of a different color. For that you need woodcraft skills, knowledge of the prey you are seeking and an ability to actually hit a target that is much smaller and much more distant than the side of a barn and won't stand still while you approach because it has become accustomed to living in harmony with humans. A novice might be able to drop a deer or elk at 50-150 yards with a fair degree of consistency, but reaching out beyond that takes a certain skill set and the further away the animal is, the more highly developed that skill set needs to be. Given the habitat, it is not like shooting at a target at a range. The angle up or down has a bearing on the point of aim, as does the distance, temperature, humidity, wind speed, weight of the bullet, altitude and muzzle velocity. An ability to shoot a nice 3 shot grouping at 100 yards at the range does not automatically translate into an ability to shoot a deer or elk that is 400 yards distant.

08 Aug 2011 16:45 #97 by Photo-fish
I'd rather save the ammo and drop a big rock on their head when they are eating the grass under my deck.

As for my fishing skills (thanks for volunteering me SC) I am strictly catch and release. I'd make an acception if I was starving or to feed a neighbor providing I did not exceed the states "Bag and Possession Limit". :Whistle

However, lately I have been working on this veggie diet and like the results so far.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

08 Aug 2011 17:26 #98 by PrintSmith
Trout farming might be a viable alternative given the access to flowing water around here. Intake located below surface in the river running down to a pond with an outtake that returns the flow to the river. Some corn, a few fingerlings.........IIRC it takes about two pounds of food and a year to yield a pound of pan sized trout.

08 Aug 2011 17:37 #99 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

PrintSmith wrote: Trout farming might be a viable alternative given the access to flowing water around here. Intake located below surface in the river running down to a pond with an outtake that returns the flow to the river. Some corn, a few fingerlings.........IIRC it takes about two pounds of food and a year to yield a pound of pan sized trout.

They will clean out the river at midnight with nets....Ah give it up guys. I think you've all been watching too End of The World tv shows. You're not gonna want to share anything, not even your sprouts.

08 Aug 2011 17:39 #100 by AspenValley

Vice Lord wrote: You'renot gonna want tio share anything, not even your sprouts.

The more people I can convince to buy some seeds and beans and grains to sprout themselves, the less people trying to break down my front door to steal mine.

:biggrin:

Time to create page: 0.330 seconds