Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

09 Aug 2011 23:33 #131 by Rockdoc

Vice Lord wrote:

Local_Historian wrote: well then - don't bitch to us if your wife becomes a target of those horrible men you spoke of some day.

If things get bad, she'll be eatin the food I bring her...

From your fridge

I thought, I'd actually display and read one of your posts to see if you have made a viable contribution. Alas, it remains as always, nothing. Of course, there will be plenty of food growing in your refrigerator once the electricity goes off. What's that green stuff??? Oh, yes, mold. I hope your wife likes the wonderful resourceful provider you will be. Each to their own, but unlike you I'm not going to gamble with the life of my family or depend on the union to bail me out. Instead, I'll be prepared in every way possible. At this point it may mean nothing more than a well thought out plan that can be executed at the first sign of life reverting to simpler times. Good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Aug 2011 07:18 #132 by HEARTLESS
I think all the previous posts have some truth in them. Some "mountain folk" will flee because they are just suburbanites in a beautiful setting. There is no such thing as urban survival however, they are the most vulnerable to any failure scenario. A strong community is important, but none up here came about because of like minded self reliance was a goal. Look at some towns in Idaho and Montana for the best examples. The best example of local self reliance comes from the Mormons, who emphasize 1 year of food for their families. This carries people through nearly any type of hard times, natural disaster, job loss, etc. If we choose to have an informal discussion group, I'm up for it.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

10 Aug 2011 13:04 #133 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Local_Historian wrote: well then - don't bitch to us if your wife becomes a target of those horrible men you spoke of some day.

If things get bad, she'll be eatin the food I bring her...

From your fridge

I hope your wife likes the wonderful resourceful provider you will be. . Good luck.

Hope yours does too, and thanks bro

Good luck

10 Aug 2011 13:07 #134 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

Local_Historian wrote: well then - don't bitch to us if your wife becomes a target of those horrible men you spoke of some day. It's stupid to have guns in a house and not have a clue how to use them. My daughter hates guns too - but she can shoot one.

I'm not particularly fond of weapons either. Was pretty accurate in the military, but the last time I took out a woodchuck with a shotgun was the last time I actually fired a weapon (1967). Now SG, my better half, has a much different perspective and is an excellent shot. She has armed herself and knowing her attitude, I pity the dumb a** who underestimates her resolve. We are going to hone our aim and attain the expertise we once had. I'll do so in anticipation of trouble and making sure our family survives.

I shoot a few times a year, but it's loud, your ears ring and who really cares if you hit the bullsye? It doesn't excite me at all.

10 Aug 2011 13:09 #135 by HEARTLESS
VL with a gun is much like Hillary Clinton with a surf board, neither one has a clue how to use them.

10 Aug 2011 13:14 #136 by UNDER MODERATION

HEARTLESS wrote: VL with a gun is much like Hillary Clinton with a surf board, neither one has a clue how to use them.

You and me

Shooting Contest

ANYTIME, ANYPLACE, ANYWHERE

10 Aug 2011 13:19 #137 by HEARTLESS

Vice Lord wrote:
I shoot a few times a year, but it's loud, your ears ring and who really cares if you hit the bullsye? It doesn't excite me at all.

Hitting the target is the whole point, they make hearing protection and shooting a few times a year proves you are consciously incompetent.

10 Aug 2011 13:35 #138 by UNDER MODERATION

HEARTLESS wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Hitting the target is the whole point, they make hearing protection and shooting a few times a year proves you are consciously incompetent.

I'm not, but thats like i'm saying i don't know sh** about soccer

Who F-ing cares?

10 Aug 2011 14:40 #139 by PrintSmith

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

Local_Historian wrote: well then - don't bitch to us if your wife becomes a target of those horrible men you spoke of some day. It's stupid to have guns in a house and not have a clue how to use them. My daughter hates guns too - but she can shoot one.

I'm not particularly fond of weapons either. Was pretty accurate in the military, but the last time I took out a woodchuck with a shotgun was the last time I actually fired a weapon (1967). Now SG, my better half, has a much different perspective and is an excellent shot. She has armed herself and knowing her attitude, I pity the dumb a** who underestimates her resolve. We are going to hone our aim and attain the expertise we once had. I'll do so in anticipation of trouble and making sure our family survives.

Make sure your target practice includes longer ranges - 400 yards and out with a rifle, up to 100 yards out with a pistol - as well as shooting up and down various slopes at close and long distance with each. I like using a 6" diameter metal plate for long distance target practice. Hearing the shot strike the gong is a lot easier than finding a small hole in a paper target at long distances. When you can hit a 6" circle with a pistol at 100 yards half the time you have a lot more confidence with the pistol than you do when your practice is limited to distances of 25 yards or less. Softballs/cans are good too. Toss it out on the ground in front of you and walk it out with each hit. You can make a game of it with each shooter having their own ball. The one furthest out when the clip is empty wins. You can also alternate shooters every time the ball is hit and the first one with an empty clip loses, or try to keep the target from coming to a complete stop to improve your ability to shoot at a moving target.

22's are a good practice pistol, it will let you do a lot more shooting for the same amount of money and the skill set transfers over to larger calibers pretty well. The skill is good to develop regardless of the trouble quotient, and making a game out of the practice keeps it interesting and fun. :thumbsup:

10 Aug 2011 15:40 #140 by akilina
All good practice tips, but what kind of backstop with the softballs/cans?

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

Time to create page: 0.339 seconds