Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

10 Aug 2011 22:22 #171 by daisypusher

Local_Historian wrote: At least he's predictable.

And you all are not? Was his boy scout pic predictable? His IQ like Noors is high....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Aug 2011 22:37 #172 by Local_Historian
Actually, yes, his picture was predictable.

Is his IQ high? How exactly does forum participation prove intelligence?

10 Aug 2011 22:42 #173 by Rockdoc

daisypusher wrote:

Local_Historian wrote: At least he's predictable.

And you all are not? Was his boy scout pic predictable? His IQ like Noors is high....

rofllol Fascinating. Now you are an expert on IQ based on what? Your wishful thinking? I find it simply amazing when people like yourself can accomplish so much where the experts falter with definitive answers. Tell me, just how do you ascertain an IQ?

10 Aug 2011 23:30 #174 by Residenttroll returns

11 Aug 2011 00:08 #175 by Local_Historian
Snort.

Start stocking up now.

11 Aug 2011 07:29 #176 by Martin Ent Inc
Yes IQ,,, Ignoramus Quotient

11 Aug 2011 08:07 #177 by Rockdoc
Back on the topic of getting through what lies ahead. I've come across some information that could be exceptionally valuable if applied now. There are a few economists like Robert Wiedemer ie. author of America’s Bubble Economy, a book predicting with uncanny accuracy the housing bubble, who anticipate even worse times ahead. They have a new book out "Aftershock" that talks about what they see coming our way and steps to take to mitigate the impact.

He states: We are going through a series of popping financial bubbles, led by a housing price bubble collapse, not a down financial cycle.

http://www.aftershockeconomy.com/book_preview.html

His prognosis is

We’d love to say that after Phase I (the Bubblequake) and Phase II (the coming Aftershock), the worst will be behind us. Unfortunately, our analysis does not bear that out. In fact, there will be no way to avoid the miseries of Phase III: the post-dollar-bubble world.

This is not the recession of the late 1970s and early 1980s. What we tend to think of when we hear the term “economic slowdown” is not what we are about to get. This one is going to be bigger, badder, deeper, and much longer than anything we’ve seen before. To understand how this will impact jobs, it helps to think of the U.S. economy in three parts:

The Capital Goods Sector - cars, construction, major industrial equipment, and so forth
The Discretionary Spending Sector - fine dining, entertainment, travel, high fashion, jewelry, art, and so forth
The Necessities Sector - basic food, shelter, clothing, energy, health care,

I've ordered the book and once it arrives will share it's recommendations whatever they may be.

11 Aug 2011 10:12 #178 by CinnamonGirl
Most Americans can't afford a $1,000 emergency expense

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/10/pf/emer ... ?iid=HP_LN

11 Aug 2011 10:12 #179 by BearMtnHIB
Just got done readin the last half dozen pages of this thread - the ones I missed. I disagree that people would leave for the city- maybe some would- but the city is going to turn into a very dangerous place when people get desperate. Hell, it's already a dangerous place in some areas and the kaos hasn't started yet. This will be a place where populations in density will run short of the basics very fast.

They will seek to come up here to find those resources- every city slicker I know who has contemplated this scenario says they are going to head for the hills.

Just take a look at London today, why just a few short months ago they had a royal wedding- with all things so prim and proper. A million Londoners out in the street- not a single incident. No one got arrested. They were all enjoying their cucumber and watercress finger sandwitches and drinking their tea in proper tea cups.

Today the wankers have taken over and are burning the place down, over what? Even the citizens there can't figure it out. If they are angry at the government, they are attacking the wrong people. Private citizens are getting their cars burned, shopkeepers are getting looted. Really it's just a bunch of punks.

Anyone living there with access to a home in country side is leaving the city for the relative safety in the country. I wouldn't want to vacation in London right now- would you?

Dont think it can happen here? Think again!

My second point is about the communications. Look at the local government- even the military. The first priority is the people and weapons- the second priority is communications. The police need people, cars and guns yes- but they need to be coordinated with communications to be at all effective. they need to know where the trouble is- where to send the resources. The same thing goes for the fire departments- they need firemen and trucks, but the next most important thing is the dispatch and radio system they use to direct resources and report back on conditions.

I am a ham radio operator and I can offer my knowledge on communications- but to protect a community- most everyone will need to be able talk and hear each other. People in all parts of town need to be on the same page. Start thinking about how to coordinate with neighbors on communications.

I do think a community needs to have like minded people to survive an emergency condition- as one poster has pointed out. I don't think we all have to be on the same page politically- but that would help too. I think the government will utterly fail in the event of an emergency, either an economic one or a natural disaster- or an attack from outside.

Everyone needs to do their part in such an event, there will be no room for an entitlement attitude. It would also help if a community didn't start in attacking each other - those who have more than others, those who saw fit to prepare while others did not. There will be internal problems and external problems.

11 Aug 2011 10:20 #180 by AspenValley
City people might think they would "head for the hills", but realistically, how many would survive two weeks, especially in winter? Anyone who thinks the living would be easier at altitude in a societal collapse hasn't thought it through. At some point people would have to abandon the cities if they got really, really bad, but the mountains are not a good option unless you've adapted to them and have some means of raising substantial amounts of food.

Time to create page: 0.375 seconds