Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

11 Aug 2011 12:30 #191 by BearMtnHIB
Yes the good thing is that the routes up here can be blocked in strategic spots to keep a community from being invaded. Pick a nice narrow canyon spot to block- I wouldnt blow it up- but a few tanker trucks across the road - disable the trucks until the community wanted in and out.

Keep guards with communications at those spots- to inform the community who's coming and going. Set up shifts to protect an area day and night.

I lost power for 8 days one year- and for 10 days a few years later, just in the last 10 years. I didn't even think of getting a hotel room, and I know what worked for me and what quit working. No power for me means no water because I'm on a well. Many of my neighbors stayed as well. I know some who couldn't take it and got a hotel room.

I know what it's like to live in a city- and what it's like in the hills. I'd rather be in the hills! In a city I think many people may feel they are comfortable, but it is a false sense of security- mob robbery I posted is an example. What will that family in Highlands Ranch do when 60 gangsters pop up all at once at 3AM?

And it can happen up here to- I imagine there will be raids like this- big mobs of people all at once. This is the kind of thing to prepare for, like I said a few guns won't do the trick. It will take coordination and support from many people.

Yes- many city slickers are afraid to come up here- some won't be afraid. If a community has a raid like this and they get away with it- there will be more to come. If 60 gangsters lay dead- they might think twice before coming to the hills to rape and pillage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Aug 2011 12:51 #192 by HEARTLESS
In reality, the so-called experts recommend a retreat at least 300 miles from the large cities (about a full tank of gas or more away). But then you have two places to worry about and deal with. Where we live is a good trade off, the fast foods junkies won't walk this far or last that long. A generator is for outages not long term use. If we're talking worst case, think light, sound and anything that attracts attention. Do you have enough black visqueen to cover the inside of all your windows for light control? I could go on, but just read any book by J W Rawles to see these scenarios.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

11 Aug 2011 13:06 #193 by HEARTLESS
One more reason to have a co-op/community effort, think logistics of manning (no slight intended ladies) tasks. This would include people (trained and willing to do what is necessary) on patrol to protect the area. This is the final reason the idea of everyone sharing each task is dangerous. I can teach anyone gun safety and how to use the firearm, but some will not be able to shoot another human being when necessary and endanger all because of it. Some have green thumbs, some can make the ordinary foods taste great, some are physically stronger or have better endurance, etc. I agree on teaching all that are interested, but in a true survival scenario, choose by what people do best or are willing to do.

11 Aug 2011 14:32 #194 by Rockdoc
Most interesting perspectives. We live on a private dirt road. It would be easy to gate it and make it difficult to access. I say difficult in the sense one would have to break down the gate or hike in. We've got an interesting mix of people here too, some in law enforcement.

On another track. If I can afford to do so, I'd like to focus on getting solar heating in place. What are some of your thoughts about the value of doing that? Specifically, I wonder if it's worth it. We certainly can keep the main floor comfortably heated with wood. The upstairs might get a bit chili though. Perhaps a better investment would be photoelectric even though we have a propane generator.

11 Aug 2011 14:42 #195 by HEARTLESS
There are a couple people that live near Fairplay that occasionally post that can answer specifics, but so many other forms of heating are better, cheaper, more reliable that I would pass on that. If something is electric to begin with, solar has some usefulness. But electric heat needs 208/240volt power, or two separate 120volt sources, so twice the solar array.

11 Aug 2011 14:55 #196 by Rockdoc

HEARTLESS wrote: There are a couple people that live near Fairplay that occasionally post that can answer specifics, but so many other forms of heating are better, cheaper, more reliable that I would pass on that. If something is electric to begin with, solar has some usefulness. But electric heat needs 208/240volt power, or two separate 120volt sources, so twice the solar array.

We have radiant floor heating. If we have hot water, then all we need is power for small circulation pumps. Those on our original plan called for solar power sources as it was. So our solar would be mainly to heat water and to circulate it. Wood stove can be used for cooking. No need for lights. It's easy enough to work daylight hours BTW, I just thought another good investment might be those hand-cranked flashlights.

11 Aug 2011 14:59 #197 by BearMtnHIB
Are you thinking about getting solar electric to heat your home?

If so, I'd say no. Not cost effective.

Passive solar and active (water panels) would be more cost effective, but I still would not do it. I take it you just built your house- your a little late because passive solar can be intergrated into a new design cost effective. It is the biggest bang for the solar buck.

Proper orientation, and an engineered design with the right glass to mass ratios, overhangs and insulation can have a house just about heat itself. These things need to be considered before you start building.

No- at this point you are better off with wood for an emergency. Stop thinking that you need to heat the entire house under that condition. Your going to be more worried about just having enough heat to stay warm at night and cook with- at least that is my goal.

I don't need to plan for all the comforts of home under emergency conditions. Just enough will do just fine.

11 Aug 2011 15:04 #198 by HEARTLESS
Yes, those were the original wave of solar and pretty decent, though rebates helped them along years ago. Not much power for a circulation pump.

11 Aug 2011 15:08 #199 by HEARTLESS
Rocdoc, what temperature is the water from your current boiler?

11 Aug 2011 15:12 #200 by Rockdoc

BearMtnHIB wrote: Are you thinking about getting solar electric to heat your home?

If so, I'd say no. Not cost effective.

Passive solar and active (water panels) would be more cost effective, but I still would not do it. I take it you just built your house- your a little late because passive solar can be intergrated into a new design cost effective. It is the biggest bang for the solar buck.

Proper orientation, and an engineered design with the right glass to mass ratios, overhangs and insulation can have a house just about heat itself. These things need to be considered before you start building.

No- at this point you are better off with wood for an emergency. Stop thinking that you need to heat the entire house under that condition. Your going to be more worried about just having enough heat to stay warm at night and cook with- at least that is my goal.

I don't need to plan for all the comforts of home under emergency conditions. Just enough will do just fine.

It is a new build and solar was on the plans, but the contractor went out of business and stiffed us for 8 grand. The radiant floor heating is water not electric. Never would I consider electric heating. Had that in an old house and can be summed up as in one word... expensive. Frankly, I simply want to make use of solar energy. It is free beyond the initial investment and good for a long time. Of course, the issue with photoelectric cells is battery storage and maintenance.

We use a small propane heater. Ok. Got to go, my flight is boarding. Yes!

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds