Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

11 Aug 2011 15:30 #201 by HEARTLESS
When you get back, here is why I asked about the boiler temp. Most people that had that type of system got some pre-heat from the solar, then had to boost temp to actually heat with. The paybacks, if they exist at all, are very long, or longer than the system life.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Aug 2011 15:54 - 11 Aug 2011 16:10 #202 by akilina

Local_Historian wrote: Foxfire seris books - a great deal of practical information, lots of things to be learned from them.

Highly Recommend. I have purchased several sets and given them to family. Also if you go to used books on amazon and ebay there are some older books on types of Colorado flowers, plants that are edible that would be good to have on hand.

Have you also considered something like plywood to cover some of the windows on the north side of the house to help retain heat and keep cold out or using them to close off some areas of your home or even for protection from invaders?

We anticipate lots of family so we have been stocking up on blankets, clothes (although we hope they can bring their own), food, etc., sprouts being the most likely to be used when all other fresh veggies, fruits are gone. Those books would be quite helpful for the newcomers so that they can get a grasp on what kinds of things they will need to do. In the pioneer days, fat and salt were what most brought with them as deer/elk don't provide enough fat to sustain. bear has plenty of fat if you can find it.

i don't think there will be as many people in the mountains and as such those that remain will be pretty much on their own. If national guard is called out to assist, more than likely most foods, medicines, etc. would make it to a central place in a city and most people would tend to want to be closer to that assistance.

I don't expect we would have elec, snow removal or road repair up here so something to consider. Most will have to be on foot. If you have a well that isn't very deep you can get a hand pump for it. Otherwise water is going to be challenging and will send a few down the mountain.

Martin I enjoy reading your recommendations. All very good.

As for solar, we have a friend who lives off the grid, most of the time, but relies on elec and propane as a backup. If they had it to do over again, they would make their home passive solar, south facing and invest in insulation as they have learned from their next door neighbor that their utility bills are less for a much larger square footage passive solar home than theirs with solar.

A family member has already given thought to their existing home and has purchased insulation and plywood as opposed to drywall to add to their home around the main areas they will live in if push comes to shove and the remainder of the home will be like a barrier to the outside. They will close off most of the north side and capitalize on the areas that get the most sun. There is some water sort of nearby which they will need to haul and they have purchased clorox rather than iodine to treat. They have given lots of thought to how they can survive but then they have been through enough times when they were w/o power for days and on their own. They also plan on making jerky for what they don't eat from the freezer if and when elec goes out. Lots to think about. Maybe a few days w/o power would provide a chance to get a feel for the things you will need, like candles or kerosene lamps, etc.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

11 Aug 2011 15:58 #203 by HEARTLESS
Good point akilina, family and friends will come to those best prepared.

11 Aug 2011 17:57 #204 by Martin Ent Inc
I know just enough about solar to get into trouble.
We have installed probably 50 solar powered gated over the years, and I did work for the house at the top of Guanella that is totally solar with battery back up and a generator for even more help.

11 Aug 2011 20:11 #205 by AspenValley
Someone sent me this link. Let's hope it's just hype or mistaken.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/193748/ ... tmosph.htm

11 Aug 2011 20:38 #206 by akilina
Looks like there will be a run on beetle trees then.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

11 Aug 2011 23:07 #207 by Local_Historian
Someone I met before really touted wind power. In the right place up here, you could keep everything going. However, it is an expensive start.

That article seems a bit...dramatic. Darkness -for how long? Forever? NO. A day, a week, a few hours? Come now, if they can predict the solar storm, they can offer predictions as to the length of its effects.

12 Aug 2011 05:07 #208 by HEARTLESS
Interesting article AV. The idea of man made electronic failure (EMP) vs natural failure (solar flares) still brings up why being prepared is so important. Our very high level of technological advancement is both a strength and weakness.

12 Aug 2011 08:36 #209 by BearMtnHIB

When you get back, here is why I asked about the boiler temp. Most people that had that type of system got some pre-heat from the solar, then had to boost temp to actually heat with. The paybacks, if they exist at all, are very long, or longer than the system life.

Typically- the "in floor" type hydronic heating systems do operate at lower boiler temperatures- it's those "baseboard hydronic" systems that require temps of 170+.

If you have the money for the liquid panels- go for it. These systems vary widely in price- depending on the contractor and a big part of that cost is the labor to install the panels. If you shop around- you may be able to cut the system cost. It's not just the panels- there will need to be control systems to interface with your boiler system.

You may need to operate the system a little differently to get the most efficiency out of the solar system- your floor is basically the energy storage tank. Driving up the temperature of your floor and house while you collect solar heat, and letting the house cool down a few degrees over night when no energy is collected. This type of strategy minimizes the need to use the propane boiler system.

All in all- one should look at the total system cost VS the propane and calaulate a cost-pay-back timeline in order to determine if the investment to solar is worth it for you. You will become more self-sufficient as a result of the solar- and that may also be worth somthing to you (since we are discussing it on this thread).

Make sure the people you deal with have the engineering knowledge to do all the load & system sizing calculations correctly- I know of many solar systems out there that were not properly designed, and these clowns have given the industry a bad name in the past. A properly designed system will work great!

12 Aug 2011 20:14 #210 by HEARTLESS
Thanks BearMtn, I've never dealt with the home in floor radiation and expected temps similar to baseboard.

Time to create page: 0.549 seconds