Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

09 Aug 2011 17:21 #121 by Martin Ent Inc
Wow SC you didn't read the survival tips and such on the site. Many rural peeps will haull A for the supposed security of the city. half the people up here can't grow a weed so what makes you think the non residents can grow anything.

we have lived up here a Long long time, back when irea had power outages for days. So we have had to learn to exist with out electric and other things most take for granted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Aug 2011 20:50 #122 by Local_Historian

Vice Lord wrote:

Local_Historian wrote: Yes, VL, because you're an expert on societies where things are very tough.

More like you'd try to demand more than your share and get pissy about it.

History and current affairs - both wonderful topics - you should try reading some that aren't all about your stocks.

No, I just know men LH..Now you women are nice, compassionate, and good and everything but when society breaks down men are animals. Look at the riots in London- All men and boys..The LA riots? All men and boys. You take away the rules and men start raping and pillaging almost instantly. You won't find it in the history books, but after WW2 there were over 100,000 complaints from German women who were raped by conquering American soldiers, and why would our boys do that you ask? Because they could. I told ya, were all in the same little boat- You righties better keep the structure of Society together because if you don't, you dorks will be the first to lose everything you got

So teach your womenfolk how to use guns, VL. Not just shoot it, but load it. and clean it. And if you can manage, teach them how to use a reloader too. I was taught as a child how to shoot a gun. I can still shoot with accuracy. I will not be one of those "gentlewomen" you seem to believe most women are. Just because they hang a curtain does't mean they wouldn't shoot you dead if you threatened them or theirs. Historically, the women who stayed out west here were the heartier type - otherwise, the trains ran both ways.

Don't stereotype about men bacuse of how some would be, because of how you might be. Just because some are animals, doesn't mean all are. Did you know the WORST prison to be in is a women's max facility? Women are much more viscious and creative about it than men. Seriously.

And yeah, the abuses after the war, by Americans, are in the books - if you read the right books. High school history books? Not the right books.

09 Aug 2011 20:55 #123 by Martin Ent Inc
Don't know how to post pics but a few friends were instructing a group of hiking nuns how to shoot today, they had a Blast pun intended.

09 Aug 2011 21:26 #124 by ScienceChic

AspenValley wrote:

PrintSmith wrote:

Science Chic wrote: Martin, if the SHTF, I'd think it'd be the other way - people would move out of the city and to areas where they can grow their own food, get their own water, etc. A friend of mine told me about this great book once that kind of covered that scenario, and I can't for the life of me remember the title right now. I'll email her and ask. Basically the conclusion was that if modern society broke down, those living in cities would be hardest hit - no food being delivered to grocery stores means starvation or mass exodus. Cities would empty post-haste.

I don't think so SC. It is much easier to garden in Denver than at our elevation. Winters are not as cold in Denver as they are up here and they generally have less snow to contend with during the winter months. Help is also a lot closer in the city than up here for medical needs and emergencies. No, I think we would see a population decrease up here. The plains might get more city folk, but I don't think the mountains would.

I agree with you, PS. How many of us have friends who are "scared" to come up to even visit us in the winter? And it's definitely much more difficult to raise food here than at a lower elevation. I also think that at least in the early stages of a societal breakdown (maybe decades) people tend to congregate where there is a chance of getting whatever aid/relief might be available. And that means in cities. Most city people would be totally clueless trying to "live off the land". Heck, in my observation most of the people who live here NOW would be clueless if the power grid went down and the trucks stopped rolling to Safeway and King Soopers.

You guys are thinking locally, not regionally or nationally, nor are you considering future climate predictions. Are those who live in NYC going to stay there or head for the countryside? How are you going to hunt game, plant a garden, or find enough water if it's not coming through the pipes in a concrete jungle? Yes, here in Denver it's easier to garden down here rather than up in the mountains, but Denver compared to the midwest...no contest - most (not all) people will be leaving arid climates for places that are easier to find food and water. The southwest and west are already starting to experience droughts that compare to those of the 50s, and even 30s - and it's only going to get worse. Coastlines will continue to shift inward as sea level rises meaning further mass displacement. Yes, people will still tend to congregate as there's safety in numbers and better chance of survival with shared community resources, but the big cities as we know 'em? Maybe for a few scavengers, if it were to truly get that bad.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Aug 2011 22:15 #125 by Local_Historian
People will leave here to go to major growing areas - the midwest, the south, the west coast. We will see people leave here because life is already too severe here for them. They only stay now because of the prestige of owning a mountain home, and because they have all the ammenities.

Honestly, can you see folk like Delametry staying?

09 Aug 2011 22:21 #126 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Local_Historian wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

Local_Historian wrote: Yes, VL, because you're an expert on societies where things are very tough.

More like you'd try to demand more than your share and get pissy about it.

History and current affairs - both wonderful topics - you should try reading some that aren't all about your stocks.

No, I just know men LH..Now you women are nice, compassionate, and good and everything but when society breaks down men are animals. Look at the riots in London- All men and boys..The LA riots? All men and boys. You take away the rules and men start raping and pillaging almost instantly. You won't find it in the history books, but after WW2 there were over 100,000 complaints from German women who were raped by conquering American soldiers, and why would our boys do that you ask? Because they could. I told ya, were all in the same little boat- You righties better keep the structure of Society together because if you don't, you dorks will be the first to lose everything you got

So teach your womenfolk how to use guns, VL. Not just shoot it, but load it. and clean it. And if you can manage, teach them how to use a reloader too. I was taught as a child how to shoot a gun. I can still shoot with accuracy. I will not be one of those "gentlewomen" you seem to believe most women are. Just because they hang a curtain does't mean they wouldn't shoot you dead if you threatened them or theirs. Historically, the women who stayed out west here were the heartier type - otherwise, the trains ran both ways.

Don't stereotype about men bacuse of how some would be, because of how you might be. Just because some are animals, doesn't mean all are. Did you know the WORST prison to be in is a women's max facility? Women are much more viscious and creative about it than men. Seriously.

And yeah, the abuses after the war, by Americans, are in the books - if you read the right books. High school history books? Not the right books.

My wife is a feminine little flower.. She doesn't get any thrill out of shooting guns and you know why? Because it's not fun.. I have many guns, but I never shoot for pleasure. It's not fun..... at all- Its boring

09 Aug 2011 22:25 #127 by Local_Historian
well then - don't bitch to us if your wife becomes a target of those horrible men you spoke of some day. It's stupid to have guns in a house and not have a clue how to use them. My daughter hates guns too - but she can shoot one.

09 Aug 2011 22:34 #128 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Local_Historian wrote: well then - don't bitch to us if your wife becomes a target of those horrible men you spoke of some day.

If things get bad, she'll be eatin the food I bring her...

From your fridge

09 Aug 2011 23:24 #129 by Rockdoc

Local_Historian wrote: well then - don't bitch to us if your wife becomes a target of those horrible men you spoke of some day. It's stupid to have guns in a house and not have a clue how to use them. My daughter hates guns too - but she can shoot one.

I'm not particularly fond of weapons either. Was pretty accurate in the military, but the last time I took out a woodchuck with a shotgun was the last time I actually fired a weapon (1967). Now SG, my better half, has a much different perspective and is an excellent shot. She has armed herself and knowing her attitude, I pity the dumb a** who underestimates her resolve. We are going to hone our aim and attain the expertise we once had. I'll do so in anticipation of trouble and making sure our family survives.

09 Aug 2011 23:27 #130 by Rockdoc
oh yes, the New Yorkers will flock to the country up north as they have done every season and take out the local cows that they believe are deer or shoot one another as has been their history for as long as I can remember (nearly 60 years now). Then they return to the "comforts" of home.

Time to create page: 0.327 seconds