Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

08 Aug 2011 20:11 #101 by Local_Historian

AspenValley wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

AspenValley wrote: I don't know how time consuming it would be to set up a series of workshops if there were sufficient people out there with skills to share. If you had just a dozen people willing to teach a class and offered the same one twice a year, no one person would be putting in more than 3-4 hours a couple times a year and you could offer two workshops a month. You'd need someone to coordinate as well, but again, no reason it has to be some time consuming, involved thing.

I know most of us are busy with careers and family, and no one person would probably have the kind of time to devote to doing this single-handedly but that would defeat the purpose of it being a community effort anyway.

There are several things I would be happy to teach (setting up an economical emergency food storage, bread baking, maybe some others) but my big problem would be a place to do it. My house is small and my kitchen barely accomodates myself and the cat, I couldn't possibly fit in any students! So maybe besides "teachers" we would also need to locate people willing to share large kitchens, etc. for the workshops.

We can get the house into the 80's easily enough by using the fireplace and wood stove, but the air is very dry and needs moisture. It requires a solution.

No problem there, RD. I have been baking bread in a house heated with wood for years. I simply cover the dough with plastic wrap to keep it humid and moist and let it rise in an oven that I have turned on for a minute or two and then off. Works even when the house is very chilly. (See, told ya I knew a trick or two about baking bread!)

My grandma taught us to put a damp dish cloth over the bread, and refresh as needed, I've also heated the over to 200, turned it off, and put a bowl of hot water on the bottom shelf while bread rises on middle shelf. very effective.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2011 20:15 #102 by Local_Historian
Yes, VL, because you're an expert on societies where things are very tough.

More like you'd try to demand more than your share and get pissy about it.

History and current affairs - both wonderful topics - you should try reading some that aren't all about your stocks.

08 Aug 2011 22:37 #103 by Rockdoc

Local_Historian wrote:

AspenValley wrote:

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

AspenValley wrote: I don't know how time consuming it would be to set up a series of workshops if there were sufficient people out there with skills to share. If you had just a dozen people willing to teach a class and offered the same one twice a year, no one person would be putting in more than 3-4 hours a couple times a year and you could offer two workshops a month. You'd need someone to coordinate as well, but again, no reason it has to be some time consuming, involved thing.

I know most of us are busy with careers and family, and no one person would probably have the kind of time to devote to doing this single-handedly but that would defeat the purpose of it being a community effort anyway.

There are several things I would be happy to teach (setting up an economical emergency food storage, bread baking, maybe some others) but my big problem would be a place to do it. My house is small and my kitchen barely accomodates myself and the cat, I couldn't possibly fit in any students! So maybe besides "teachers" we would also need to locate people willing to share large kitchens, etc. for the workshops.

We can get the house into the 80's easily enough by using the fireplace and wood stove, but the air is very dry and needs moisture. It requires a solution.

No problem there, RD. I have been baking bread in a house heated with wood for years. I simply cover the dough with plastic wrap to keep it humid and moist and let it rise in an oven that I have turned on for a minute or two and then off. Works even when the house is very chilly. (See, told ya I knew a trick or two about baking bread!)

My grandma taught us to put a damp dish cloth over the bread, and refresh as needed, I've also heated the over to 200, turned it off, and put a bowl of hot water on the bottom shelf while bread rises on middle shelf. very effective.

Have done the bowl of water trick too. Works fine when you have one pan and let the dough rise, but once you have more sheets of doughnut balls or bread pans than can fit into the oven, you need alternatives. A very warm kitchen works best of all. But all good suggestions because some work better in one setting as opposed to another.

08 Aug 2011 22:48 #104 by Rockdoc
One other thought that occurred to me is cheap simple meals, along the line of the ones Otis had on his thread. My mother specialized in those, like the kind where 2 to 4 potatoes along with a little salt, fat (for the frying pan) and a coupe of eggs made a meal for three (potato pancakes). My family does not care for them, but I love them. I imagine if it is the only thing to have, they'd change their minds quickly. Another meal we got in Germany as a kid (pre 1953)... provided we had milk... was hot milk and elbow noodles. Yep, real cheap and quick meals. Since we did not know any better, those meals were great. Lard is not something that is readily found any more, but back in the late 40's and during the 50's we used it as a spread on bread together with a little salt when we had little else. I know that sounds less than appetizing, but I'm trying to illustrate how poor families survived with very little money. I hope those times do not return.

08 Aug 2011 22:56 #105 by Rockdoc

AspenValley wrote:

Vice Lord wrote: You'renot gonna want tio share anything, not even your sprouts.

The more people I can convince to buy some seeds and beans and grains to sprout themselves, the less people trying to break down my front door to steal mine.

:biggrin:

Quite to the contrary. If you have ever not had a place to live,or enough money to buy a meal, then you develop considerable compassion and will share with anyone in the same situation. I know I would. This is after all a community that does look after one another as has been repeatedly demonstrated whenever there is someone in dire need of a helping hand. Personally, I could live off the fat of the land for a while and be healthier as a result. But AV's solution is the best of all share the skills that help people be self sufficient for practically no cost at all. You could learn a lot VL if you ever were to listen instead of beating your chest until it is puffed up with welts. LOL

08 Aug 2011 23:02 #106 by CinnamonGirl
My mother made alot of cheap meals. Goulash with tomato soup and hamburger, Potato chip casserole. They were all pretty bad for us. But really a pretty good cheap meal that I do like? Toast and scrambles egg sandwich. Tomato soup and grilled cheese. Beans and rice with cheese and sour cream and grilled zucchini. I also remember many years ago before the internet there was a gal that made a ton of money by selling a book on how to save money with bulk buying. For example she would buy oats in bulk and add apples instead of instant oatmeal. Granted some of this was for families but she did save alot of money. Our instant diets cost alot and make alot of trash to dispose of.

08 Aug 2011 23:10 #107 by Residenttroll returns

08 Aug 2011 23:33 #108 by ScienceChic
In case anyone's interested, there are some good starter classes at the various JeffCo rec centers. I've taken quite a few of Susan Evans herbal/canning/food/homemade gift classes and always enjoy them (she even offers one every year in the spring called Wild Edibles and Medicinals where you go walk around Bear Creek Lake and you pick stuff she identifies)! Here's what's coming up:

http://www.lakewood.org/comres/page.cfm ... ecreation=

Easy Kitchen & Herbal Remedies

Join herbalist Susan Evans and learn dozens of inexpensive, effective remedies to prevent and alleviate winter illness. We'll make a fortifying immune-boosting soup, tasty elderberry antiviral syrup, a cold and flu tea, and soothing lip balm for dry winter skin. Light dinner, handout and take-home samples included.

Activity # 310204-01, Wed October 26th, from 6:30-8pm at Lakewood Link rec center
$35 resident, $45 non-resident Lakewood

Weaving in the Evening

Have you always wanted to learn to weave or just need to brush up on your skills? In the convivial atmosphere of this mixed-level class, beginners learn how to start and finish projects, while experienced weavers work on their own projects, receiving assistance when needed. Materials for the first project are included in the fee. Additional studio time will be available. 6 weeks

Activity # 377301-01 Wednesdays Sept 7-Oct 12 from 6:30-9 Location: Washington Heights Arts Center
Activity # 377301-02 Wednesdays Oct 26 - Dec 7 from 6:30-9 Location: WH
$144 Early registration price, $149 Regular registration price

Weekend Weavers

Make some time for creativity in your busy schedule! Join us on Saturdays to learn how to use various fibers to make scarves, shawls, runners, and even rugs. Leearn to use a variety of looms. Novices and experienced weavers are all welcome. Materials for the first project are included in the course fee. Additional studio time will be available. 6 weeks

Activity # 377306-01 Saturdays Sep 10 - Oct 15 9:30am - noon Location: Washington Heights Arts Center (WH)
Activity # 377306-01 Saturdays Oct 22 - Dec 17 9:30am - noon Location: WH

Woodcarving

Learn the traditional art of European chip carving, relief carving, and carving in the round. Course will include demonstrations, examples, and discussions about materials, techniques, and tools. All materials supplied. Students will complete two projects. A $5 required materials fee will be collected at the first class (for new students only). 8 weeks

Activity # 377201-01 Wednesdays Sep 28 - Nov 16 6:30 - 8:30pm Location: Lakewood Cultural Center

Holiday Woodcarving

Learn to carve your own wooden tree ornaments, including Santa and snowmen. You will be guided through the project, starting from safety techniques to wood types, style, tools, and painting. 3 weeks

Activity # 377202-01 Wednesdays Nov 30 -Dec 14 6:30-8:30pm Location: Lakewood Cultural Center

And more! (Pottery, Metal Working, Felt Making, Papermaking, etc)

And don't forget that Knit Knook offers classes too! A few of the people who participate there raise their own alpacas to supply material they use to make clothes!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Aug 2011 03:54 #109 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Local_Historian wrote: Yes, VL, because you're an expert on societies where things are very tough.

More like you'd try to demand more than your share and get pissy about it.

History and current affairs - both wonderful topics - you should try reading some that aren't all about your stocks.

No, I just know men LH..Now you women are nice, compassionate, and good and everything but when society breaks down men are animals. Look at the riots in London- All men and boys..The LA riots? All men and boys. You take away the rules and men start raping and pillaging almost instantly. You won't find it in the history books, but after WW2 there were over 100,000 complaints from German women who were raped by conquering American soldiers, and why would our boys do that you ask? Because they could. I told ya, were all in the same little boat- You righties better keep the structure of Society together because if you don't, you dorks will be the first to lose everything you got

09 Aug 2011 06:41 #110 by HEARTLESS
At the National Western Complex on September 16 & 17, the Self Reliance Expo. [url=http://www.SelfRelianceEXPO.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.SelfRelianceEXPO.com[/url]

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Time to create page: 0.395 seconds