Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

06 Aug 2011 00:55 #11 by Rockdoc
Two clarifications. The first being no critique of whether something is good idea or not. THis is only brainstorming with the evaluation to come later. The second is you need to be sure you take care of yourselves because if you don't you just become another person who needs help. You can't help others unless you keep yourself fit. So what would you do for yourself to prepare you for troubled times ahead? Or what would you recommend others do to prepare themselves for what we will face? Here is what a number of publications promote.

1) Get debt free and fast
2) Cash is king - wondering if US dollar will become worthless
3) Rend, don't buy assets; asset values will continue to go down
4) Secure a guaranteed income stream State regulated legal reserve insurance companies have the strongest balance sheets of any financial institutions

and this from those who recalled the Great Depression of 1929-33:
a) Credit mentality instead of paying cash. “Don’t spend money you don’t already have in your pocket.”
b) Rich grew richer at the expense of others. “Don’t pay someone else to provide something that you can learn to do or to make yourself.”
c) Abandonment of traditional values and frugality. “Never buy anything you can use – only what you can’t live without.”
d) Self-Indulgence and self-gratification by immediate acquisition of possessions. “Don’t buy anything until you have twice the purchase amou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2011 05:27 #12 by Residenttroll returns
e) stock up on food
f) stock up on ammunition.
g) get a copy of the Koran
h) learn how to pray to Allah
g) make red and yellow your favorite colors

06 Aug 2011 06:42 #13 by navycpo7
RD you already said it. For the community to come together. Every can do something. For me, I can troubleshoot and fix most phone problems in the house, I can do minor electrical, and as I am a well tech, I can talk you through some troubleshooting on that and without needing anything in return. I just have a good time working on things.

06 Aug 2011 07:31 #14 by Rockdoc

navycpo7 wrote: RD you already said it. For the community to come together. Every can do something. For me, I can troubleshoot and fix most phone problems in the house, I can do minor electrical, and as I am a well tech, I can talk you through some troubleshooting on that and without needing anything in return. I just have a good time working on things.

Thanks for the reminder to list available skills for barter or just to help out when you yourself aren't in need..
As long as I have electricity or for that matter propane to run my generator, I will have a woodworking shop. Can build just about anything out of wood. I've also got a variety of other practical skills, lots of firewood, a strong back, a barn that could be converted into a community green house, etc. to offer when needed... provided I'm at home.

06 Aug 2011 07:44 #15 by bailey bud
Wish I had more cash.

I have enough to last a couple of months. If I dip into retirement assets, we can likely last a year.

Then, we're in trouble.

Really wishing I didn't sink so much into my son's college (who unfortunately squandered it).

I have a basic wood shop (I make stuff out of pallet wood) - all that pallet wood out back could be turned into heat really quick, if necessary.

Like most Coloradans, I have a few firearms. Will likely start stocking up on 12 Ga shells for home defense ---- and .30-06 rounds for hunting (it's a lot cheaper than the meat prices at the grocery store)

06 Aug 2011 08:16 #16 by Rockdoc
Let me summarize a few things here:

Preparations you can make
1. Get out of debt fast
2. hoard cash maybe even convert it to euros
3. Rent, don’t buy
4. Secure guaranteed income
5. Stock up on Food
6. Stock up on Ammunition
7. Don’t pay someone else to provide something you can do or learn how to do

Community skills
Carpentry
Rockdoc Franz
Baily Bud

Cabinetmaking
Rockdoc Franz

Electrical
Rockdoc Franz
Navycop7

Telephone repairs
Navycop7

Vegetable Gardening

Hunters

Firewood
Holly and Franz

Concrete work
Rockdoc Franz

Engine repair

Business Ideas
Incubators : Support groups for prople trying to brainstorm for idea on how to make money
1. Gather and market native mountain herbs
2. Christmas Wreaths for co-ops
3. Package firewood, kindling

Community Focus
Seniors (fixed income, pride, won’t ask for help)
Community gardens

Let me know if I can add you to a list or create a new skill set

06 Aug 2011 08:32 #17 by CinnamonGirl
I truly do not believe this is not the apocalypse. Finance is so complicated. And our gate keepers need to take it more seriously. There is a frontline program that illustrated this in the 2000 bubble. It was not all about the internet, they ignored some major signs about the economy and it was very political. But we will be okay. Our strength is in our minds. It will be okay.

06 Aug 2011 08:37 - 06 Aug 2011 08:40 #18 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Let me summarize a few things here:

Preparations you can make
1. Get out of debt fast
2. hoard cash maybe even convert it to euros
3. Rent, don’t buy
4. Secure guaranteed income
5. Stock up on Food
6. Stock up on Ammunition
7. Don’t pay someone else to provide something you can do or learn how to do

Community skills
Carpentry
Rockdoc Franz
Baily Bud

Cabinetmaking
Rockdoc Franz

Jack of all Trades
Vice Lord

Electrical
Rockdoc Franz
Navycop7

Telephone repairs
Navycop7

Vegetable Gardening
Lil Precious

Hunters
Vice Lord

Firewood
Holly and Franz

Concrete work
Rockdoc Franz

Engine repair

Business Ideas
Incubators : Support groups for prople trying to brainstorm for idea on how to make money
1. Gather and market native mountain herbs
2. Christmas Wreaths for co-ops
3. Package firewood, kindling

Community Focus
Seniors (fixed income, pride, won’t ask for help)
Community gardens

Let me know if I can add you to a list or create a new skill set

Added myself and my wife to apropriete the lists

06 Aug 2011 08:39 #19 by deltamrey
As predicted for three years - the economy up here is in deep trouble - and the retrogressive attitudes make it much worse. Bailey is probably a lost cause but Conifer has a great future IF it moves to the Evergreen model. The REC District vote tells me we are not ready to move forward
YET. Resistance to change will continue to drag us behind
the wealth flows UP the mountain and we must accommodate those that buy our real estate and services........or continue to lose the economic base that is the engine.

06 Aug 2011 08:47 #20 by CinnamonGirl
Bringing up Evergreen is interesting. The difference between Evergreen and 285? I-70.. Money flows through the I-70 corridor. From where? Denver and the rest of the country that ski. And they are not as much of a bedroom community as 285 corridor either. Your money up there is staying in Denver from your community members and you have very little coming up there from Denver to spend money like the I-70 corridor.

Generally your community businesses are not doing a good job of making you want to stay up there. As far as I can tell it is just the convenience factor that gets the business and if you notice the ones that are making it are the ones that understand they have to go the extra mile to keep locals at their business. That means being better than Denver.

You want to help? Support our businesses who advertise on this local site. They get it. And they are supporting your community.

Time to create page: 0.330 seconds