Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

15 Aug 2011 14:10 #261 by AspenValley

neptunechimney wrote:

AspenValley wrote: [If anyone decides to build a cob oven, I would just love to help out in return for seeing how it's done!

Me too. I volunteer to empty out the beer bottles used for insulation.

And I'll bet you've already counted how many are needed..... :woo hoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Aug 2011 14:30 #262 by farmgirl_redhead
I'm here.. I have to have the order in by tomorrow night.. We do alot of sharing of products because there is so much of it.. so if you are interested in sharing post it on FB (you'll need a FB account)... or you can call me 303-838-5113 and let me know what you want!! Thanks!!

15 Aug 2011 14:32 #263 by ScienceChic

farmgirl_redhead wrote: I'm here.. I have to have the order in by tomorrow night.. We do alot of sharing of products because there is so much of it.. so if you are interested in sharing post it on FB (you'll need a FB account)... or you can call me 303-838-5113 and let me know what you want!! Thanks!!

Thank you Lady! :sunshine:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Aug 2011 14:34 #264 by AspenValley

farmgirl_redhead wrote: I'm here.. I have to have the order in by tomorrow night.. We do alot of sharing of products because there is so much of it.. so if you are interested in sharing post it on FB (you'll need a FB account)... or you can call me 303-838-5113 and let me know what you want!! Thanks!!

Hey, thanks! I probably won't be ordering this month as I just got a bunch of stuff. How often do you order? And if I set up a FB account, how do I find your group? PM me if you want.

15 Aug 2011 15:38 #265 by akilina

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

HEARTLESS wrote: AV, you are so right with the transition towns comments. I think many folks up here are gun owners, but never speak of it. Regarding sustainable agriculture up here, I think it is greenhouses not gardens due to short growing seasons. I personally have greenhouse envy as we haven't made one yet, but plan to.

I was up all night designing our passive solar greenhouse. I'm looking at a 13x32 foot footprint with the north side buried into the hillside. We also came across the idea of using plastic gallon milk cartons painted black, filled with water and stacked on shelves along the north wall for stabilizing night time temperatures in winter. Something that seems counter intuitive is that larger greenhouses tend to be more stable temperature wise than smaller greenhouses. I understand there are permit issues with Jefferson County, but when times get really tough the number one thing to bear in mind is surviving first and somewhere down a long ways in numerical order is where permits come in.

I just read Sunshine Girls comments about waiting for awhile before making one. Thought I would comment anyway. If you decide to build one into the side of the hill, you might have to make some kind of structure/fencing above to keep animals from walking the hill and falling through it. We have had that happen.

VL made a comment earlier in the thread about people taking stuff. If it is visible it becomes a red flag that you have something worth taking. And it requires more water.

We have an indoor greenhouse, part of the house, and we have done some raised bed gardening, pretty much year round since it is south facing. We have found that pots (on rollers for bigger ones) that are movable work better. At night we move them away from the window and move closer during the day. It also conserves on water. Along with the raised bed idea we buy good quality seeds and only plant one or two seeds or whatever the size of the pot will hold. If not as high quality of seed then several more and weed out or replant in another pot. It keeps the critters from getting to them. Every 6 months or so we put in new soil from outdoors. We have a neighbor we can get cow/horse manure and mix in a mound of dirt many months in advance of use.

And you don't have to have an indoor greenhouse. This can be done near windows that get sun. If you have a deck they can be placed outside during the day depending on temp, animals, etc. If we aren't going to be around to watch them we just keep them in the sun indoors.

Thought I would mention this to those who dont have an inclination to make a greenhouse but would like to experiment with growing some of their own veggies at different times of the year and see how it works.

We have also used cold frames outdoors and have had some success with them.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

23 Aug 2011 19:18 #266 by akilina
The book, Square Foot Gardening has a lot of good information.

Here's a couple of links
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

Outdoor raised bed gardening
http://timssquarefootgarden.com/

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

23 Aug 2011 19:47 #267 by Sunshine Girl
Thanks for the info. We might try it out now. :sunshine:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

23 Aug 2011 20:53 #268 by Local_Historian

AspenValley wrote: I wish there were a happy medium, where you could find people who are BOTH into sustainable agriculture, self-sufficiency, low-tech skills AND at least willing to admit that in a collapse situation it might be necessry to actually defend yourself. Yes, with guns. That you actually know how to shoot.

THIS kind of community I could get behind and be part of - the realistic appraoch, not the paranoid or romanticized versions.

Franz - look into coldframes - they could help the problem you;re speaking of as well. Easily done with old windows and some wood.

24 Aug 2011 02:15 #269 by ScienceChic
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/08 ... c=fb&cc=fp
Feds Launch App Contest For Facebook 'Lifelines' In Health Emergencies
by Shefali S. Kulkarni
August 23, 2011

The first thing East Coasters did when the ground began to shake this afternoon wasn't duck under their desks, but to turn to their smartphones.

And that's just the sort of reaction Stacy Elmer expected. She's a special assistant to the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response , a division of the department of Health and Human Services, created in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. And just yesterday, ASPR launched Elmer's idea: the Lifeline Facebook App Challenge , a contest for developers to help people prepare for the worst in a health emergency.

The idea is to make it easy for Facebook users to beef up their own preparedness and strengthen their social connections in case something goes really wrong, such as a pandemic or earthquake.

The competition will run till the end of hurricane season on Nov. 4. No word on what a Facebook public health application might look like, but the ideal, according to the HHS website, would include a method for users to identify three people as "lifelines" or emergency contacts. It would also create and share personal preparedness plans, be mobile-device ready, and incorporate a Geographic Information System (GIS) for locating or "tagging."

Elmer noticed that during the aftermath of recent disasters, people were turning more to websites like Facebook rather than calling people on their cellphones. The idea is to reduce pressure on jammed phone lines, since people would use social media sites to reconnect in the event of an emergency.

The HHS Assistant Secretary for ASPR, Dr. Nicole Lurie, said the competition is way for the department to take advantage of emerging social media. "One of the things that is fundamental to a community's resilience is its connections between people," she said. "In the end it's going to be friends and neighbors who are going to help each other out in an emergency situation."

They've got that last part right!

But anything the government tries to do, we can do better! :thumbsup:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Aug 2011 09:31 #270 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

Science Chic wrote:
But anything the government tries to do, we can do better! :thumbsup:

ha..Oh really? What in human history has taught you that?

Time to create page: 0.355 seconds