Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

25 Aug 2011 15:56 #291 by HEARTLESS
Mormoms/Church of Latter Day Saints, and its one years worth that is recommended.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Aug 2011 16:02 #292 by Local_Historian
hmm - heard of a group that said 6 months too - but still, we should ask them about storage, and what food items, etc - unless someone knows of a website with this info on it?

Just one of those good info things to have.

25 Aug 2011 16:10 #293 by jf1acai

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

25 Aug 2011 16:11 #294 by BadgerKustoms

Local_Historian wrote: unless someone knows of a website with this info on it?

I know a few, but have been asked not to post them in public domain. PM if you want.

Badger

25 Aug 2011 16:13 #295 by HEARTLESS
I wish all churches put food storage as a priority and had small food banks. If truely long storage is the issue, whole wheats (uncracked seeds) have been genminated from seeds found in the pyramids (maybe 2000 yrs old?). The biggest problem becomes those with gluten intolerance or allergies, but there are many other alternatives. If you grind your own wheat, combine with other types for flour, 20% protein content is possible. Now you can see why bread and water could sustain someone for a long time.

25 Aug 2011 16:19 #296 by HEARTLESS
If you aren't into grind your own, most canned goods last a very long time, but always seek the cool dry place for maximum life.

25 Aug 2011 16:28 #297 by Local_Historian
Badger - will do.

Home canned or factory canned, or does it depend? Because I've had some factory canned things that weren't even to their suggested date yet that were clearly over the edge, and have had some home canned jelly that lasted ...7 years. (Had to think on that, cause I had to date last time I made strawberry jelly and some apple butter.)

On that note, some of us through FB are talking about making an apple run in 2 -3 weeks when the apples are ready. It's starting to look like a convoy, since lots of people want in on it. Any takers?

Lemmee go look up the details...

25 Aug 2011 16:35 #298 by HEARTLESS
Have to ask wife on apples, we're partial to Fuji now. Just got peaches, the pie barely cools before being attacked. Have some canned (actually jars of produce) fruits already. I don't prefer the store bought mass produced canned foods as I don't trust the very un-natural preservatives used, but always have some. www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

25 Aug 2011 16:36 #299 by Local_Historian
Ok - like close to Labor day - these are the apple types - Fuji, Golden Delicious, Gala, Granny Smith, Jonagold, Jonathan, MacIntosh, Pink Lady and Rome.

I've sent an email asking about pricing - will report back when I get an answer. They sell by the peck and by the bushel.

25 Aug 2011 17:19 #300 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Severe trouble ahead, community suggestions to get through

HEARTLESS wrote: If anyone should recognize a bad choice, its the king of bad choices himself, VL.

Oh shutup!

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds