Why Are Anti-Christian Bigots So Eager to Prey On Tim Tebow?

12 Dec 2011 19:16 #31 by outdoor338
"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full." Matthew 6:5

Where does tebow fit in this verse? Jesus is talking about the Sadducees and Pharisees who are hypocrites, what reference do you have to tebow and your source please! Is this your opinion? The Sadducees and Pharisees would go and shout their prayers to gain attention saying "look at me, look at me everyone, im praying." tebow is not doing that, and never did.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Dec 2011 19:19 #32 by chickaree

towermonkey wrote: If the guy came off the field and carved a pentagram on his forehead while drinking chicken blood, I wouldn't care as long as he wins the games. Its a nice boon to Christians that he is so vocal but, as he said in an interview on CBS, "God doesn't care who wins a football game. He just gives me the talent to compete."

:like: This tells me what I need to know. God gives us the resources we need to succeed. It's up to us to use them. He sounds like a good Christian and good man. Even if he has problems with passing.

12 Dec 2011 19:23 #33 by outdoor338
I think he does great when the guys catch his passes... lol wonder how many were dropped yesterday..I like him as well...I wasn't even mad when the broncos beat the Vikings...

12 Dec 2011 19:30 #34 by Reverend Revelant

outdoor338 wrote: "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full." Matthew 6:5

Where does tebow fit in this verse? Jesus is talking about the Sadducees and Pharisees who are hypocrites, what reference do you have to tebow and your source please! Is this your opinion? The Sadducees and Pharisees would go and shout their prayers to gain attention saying "look at me, look at me everyone, im praying." tebow is not doing that, and never did.

Really...

What is Tebowing?
(vb) to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different.

http://tebowing.com/

Really...

http://biginthegame.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/tebowing.jpg?w=300&h=203

Really...

Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary

Our Lord next warned against hypocrisy and outward show in religious duties. What we do, must be done from an inward principle, that we may be approved of God, not that we may be praised of men. In these verses we are cautioned against hypocrisy in giving alms. Take heed of it. It is a subtle sin; and vain-glory creeps into what we do, before we are aware. But the duty is not the less necessary and excellent for being abused by hypocrites to serve their pride. The doom Christ passes, at first may seem a promise, but it is their reward; not the reward God promises to those who do good, but the reward hypocrites promise themselves, and a poor reward it is; they did it to be seen of men, and they are seen of men. When we take least notice of our good deeds ourselves, God takes most notice of them. He will reward thee; not as a master who gives his servant what he earns, and no more, but as a Father who gives abundantly to his son that serves him.

http://www.christnotes.org/commentary.p ... =6&com=mhc

Really?

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

12 Dec 2011 19:30 #35 by Arlen
Tebow is using his athletic abilities to build a hospital in the Phillipines for children. He uses his God given abilities to help others. He may not care how others view his devotion.

12 Dec 2011 19:31 #36 by Reverend Revelant

Arlen wrote: Tebow is using his athletic abilities to build a hospital in the Phillipines for children. He uses his God given abilities to help others. He may not care how others view his devotion.

Maybe he should consider how God views his devotion.

12 Dec 2011 19:42 #37 by outdoor338
Really, GOP, and your comparing what the Sadducees and Pharisees did to TT kneeling down... lol

Really

The nature of hypocrisy. "Hypocrisy" (hypokrisis) means that what one appears to be is different from what one is. Cf. 15:7-8, "You hypocrites!
Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.'" (that's the heart matter you mocked) The verb hypokrinomai means "to play a part, hence...to simulate, feign, pretend" (Thayer, s.v.). Thus in the case of each practice discussed in 6:1-18, the individuals in question appear to be serving God, but in fact they are serving only themselves: "to be honored by men" (6:2); "to be seen by men" (6:5); "to show men they are fasting" (6:16).

really

2. The cause of hypocrisy. It is pride that moves one to play the hypocrite. Pride is essentially competitive, as C. S. Lewis taught us in Mere Christianity, in the chapter on "The Great Sin." The hypocrites are not merely proud of being spiritual; they are proud of being (and of being thought to be) more spiritual than others, the others who have such respect for them and render them such honor. For pride's survival, it is vital that one be above the rest.

You're reaching pretty far, and have shown nothing...nice try...

12 Dec 2011 19:52 #38 by outdoor338
GOP, we disagree on tebow...you have your opinion, and I have mine. I like expressions of prayer, you don't! In the long run, faith keeps me going. That's all that matters to me...

12 Dec 2011 19:55 #39 by Reverend Revelant

outdoor338 wrote: Really, GOP, and your comparing what the Sadducees and Pharisees did to TT kneeling down... lol

Really

The nature of hypocrisy. "Hypocrisy" (hypokrisis) means that what one appears to be is different from what one is. Cf. 15:7-8, "You hypocrites!
Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.'" (that's the heart matter you mocked) The verb hypokrinomai means "to play a part, hence...to simulate, feign, pretend" (Thayer, s.v.). Thus in the case of each practice discussed in 6:1-18, the individuals in question appear to be serving God, but in fact they are serving only themselves: "to be honored by men" (6:2); "to be seen by men" (6:5); "to show men they are fasting" (6:16).

really

2. The cause of hypocrisy. It is pride that moves one to play the hypocrite. Pride is essentially competitive, as C. S. Lewis taught us in Mere Christianity, in the chapter on "The Great Sin." The hypocrites are not merely proud of being spiritual; they are proud of being (and of being thought to be) more spiritual than others, the others who have such respect for them and render them such honor. For pride's survival, it is vital that one be above the rest.

You're reaching pretty far, and have shown nothing...nice try...

Lousy answer... ""Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give alms, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward."

This verse is not calling those who practice piety before men "hypocrites", it is saying not to be "as the hypocrites." Kneeling down, praying, in front of thousands of fans and millions of TV viewers is certainly equivalent to sounding a trumpet before you. And whether you feel that the scripture above is actually equating the Sadducees and Pharisees with the believer, or simply comparing actions... this scripture wraps everything up nicely.

"But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

That don't look like no shut door in the middle of the stadium.

12 Dec 2011 20:00 #40 by UNDER MODERATION
Keep fighting that War on Tebow and Christmas guys.... lol

Big Issues for Big Thinkers.

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds