Why Are Anti-Christian Bigots So Eager to Prey On Tim Tebow?

13 Dec 2011 10:01 #71 by Kate

LLIB wrote:

archer wrote: Uh oh, lightening may strike me, but I agree with trouble. Whatever Tebow believes is really none of our business, but it is his right, and part of his "charm", that he feels comfortable expressing it in public. I just don't get the hating on the man because of his beliefs, so what if you don't agree with him or his religion, it's his religious beliefs not yours, and more power to him for not being afraid, or embarrassed, to express them. I am not a particularly religious person, but I am not uncomfortable if others express their beliefs in my presence, I only object if they try to change my beliefs, or push their particular religion on me. Tebow has done none of that, he seems to be a genuinely nice guy and a very talented athlete who also happens to be a christian. Why isn't that enough for people?

I kinda had to skim through this and agreed with a few and had to ignore a couple idiots...then I found this post which I agree with and can relate to the most. Very well said archer, couldn't have said it better. I also never hear Tebow giving God credit for any wins, he just gives credit to his fellow players. (unless GOP can prove ootherwise)

This is what he said last Sunday.

“I guess, first and foremost I’d like to thank my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ,” Tebow told reporters after rallying his team to another comeback victory, 13-10, over the Chicago Bears. “And after that I just want to thank my teammates and coaches.”

It's not crystal clear what he is thanking Jesus and his teammates & coaches for, but the insinuation is that he is thanking them for the win.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Dec 2011 10:15 #72 by outdoor338
Its clear to me, he's thanking his team mates...players do that Kate, or you're going to tell me something different...having played several years of football, after a win, lots of back slapping goes on in the locker room, and congrats to coaches and players. When a player goes to a press conference, they thank their team mates and coaches for a win publicly...

13 Dec 2011 10:20 #73 by Nobody that matters

Kate wrote:

LLIB wrote: This is what he said last Sunday.

“I guess, first and foremost I’d like to thank my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ,” Tebow told reporters after rallying his team to another comeback victory, 13-10, over the Chicago Bears. “And after that I just want to thank my teammates and coaches.”

It's not crystal clear what he is thanking Jesus and his teammates & coaches for, but the insinuation is that he is thanking them for the win.

Or, he's thanking Jesus for his life, his abilities, and his strength. Then, he's thanking his teammates and coaches for a good game.

It's all in how you want to look at it. You want to see something that you can complain about - so that's how you're going to interpret it. I'm not going to say you're wrong, just that I prefer a different interpretation than you.

Tebow has expressed that he believes God doesn't care who wins the football game. Given that, his expression of thanks is probably in regards to something a bit deeper than sports.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

13 Dec 2011 10:23 #74 by The Viking

Kate wrote:

LLIB wrote:

archer wrote: Uh oh, lightening may strike me, but I agree with trouble. Whatever Tebow believes is really none of our business, but it is his right, and part of his "charm", that he feels comfortable expressing it in public. I just don't get the hating on the man because of his beliefs, so what if you don't agree with him or his religion, it's his religious beliefs not yours, and more power to him for not being afraid, or embarrassed, to express them. I am not a particularly religious person, but I am not uncomfortable if others express their beliefs in my presence, I only object if they try to change my beliefs, or push their particular religion on me. Tebow has done none of that, he seems to be a genuinely nice guy and a very talented athlete who also happens to be a christian. Why isn't that enough for people?

I kinda had to skim through this and agreed with a few and had to ignore a couple idiots...then I found this post which I agree with and can relate to the most. Very well said archer, couldn't have said it better. I also never hear Tebow giving God credit for any wins, he just gives credit to his fellow players. (unless GOP can prove ootherwise)

This is what he said last Sunday.

He is thanking Him for ALL of the blessing in his life! Just like we all should.

13 Dec 2011 10:23 #75 by The Viking

Nobody that matters wrote:

Kate wrote:

LLIB wrote: This is what he said last Sunday.

Or, he's thanking Jesus for his life, his abilities, and his strength. Then, he's thanking his teammates and coaches for a good game.

It's all in how you want to look at it. You want to see something that you can complain about - so that's how you're going to interpret it. I'm not going to say you're wrong, just that I prefer a different interpretation than you.

Tebow has expressed that he believes God doesn't care who wins the football game. Given that, his expression of thanks is probably in regards to something a bit deeper than sports.

Good answer!

13 Dec 2011 10:33 #76 by Rick
This is the best answer...from Tebow himself. And the title of the video is wrong, he never "slams" Plummer. He's a class act and wants to be a good role model which is something I can appreciate given the lack of good ones we seem to have these days.
[youtube:3c5dy52e]
[/youtube:3c5dy52e]

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

13 Dec 2011 11:23 #77 by bailey bud
a) It's not faith if you need someone else's endorsement. I don't see where people of faith care about Tebow's critics. If it's really about faith, the critics are (should be) irrelevant.

b) Were I a football fan (I'm not), I think I'd care less about what faith the quarterback has than whether or not he wins games. So what - he has faith-inspired antics. Every player has antics. Let it be.

c) I'm not sure why Tebow's faith has suddenly become a topic for anyone. So what - he's a quarterback - does that make him a better Christian? So what -- he's Christian -- does that make him a better or worse quarterback?

13 Dec 2011 12:04 #78 by Soulshiner

Soulshiner wrote: I don't think there is a problem with Tebow's faith. I think people have a problem with others claiming that his being a devout christian is the reason that he is able to produce these "miracle" 4th quarter wins. He has proclaimed his faith out in public, so others are commenting on it, good and bad. That's what happens when you go public. Denver has a way of deifying the Bronco quarterback and the swing in their fortunes since TT became the new Elway has only solidified the idolatry of TT. I would think true christian would have a problem with the idolatry of a sports figure...

I'll say it again.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

13 Dec 2011 12:28 #79 by The Viking

bailey bud wrote: a) It's not faith if you need someone else's endorsement. I don't see where people of faith care about Tebow's critics. If it's really about faith, the critics are (should be) irrelevant.

They are irrelevant. They just amuse and humor us.

13 Dec 2011 12:38 #80 by Kate

outdoor338 wrote: Its clear to me, he's thanking his team mates...players do that Kate, or you're going to tell me something different...having played several years of football, after a win, lots of back slapping goes on in the locker room, and congrats to coaches and players. When a player goes to a press conference, they thank their team mates and coaches for a win publicly...

Using your logic, since he is (according to you) thanking his teammates for the win, he is then also thanking Jesus for the win, since it's all said in the same sentence. I'm pretty sure that most people in America are interpreting his remarks that way.

I really don't care what he says, but I would like him - when they next lose - to thank Jesus for the defeat, as well as thanking his teammates for the defeat. That would be consistent.

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds