Obama keeps saying that he is RICH

12 Jul 2012 12:54 #81 by LOL

Raees wrote: Sorry, the OP was complaining Obama says "I am rich" all the time. I've never heard him say "I am rich."

Mods, you better close this thread pretty soon. :lol:

The lefties here are really losing it and its getting embarrassing now. I actually used to have a little bit of intellectual respect for some of them. This is too funny.

OBAMA IS RICH!!! OBAMA IS RICH!!! OBAMA IS RICH!!! $$$$$$ :lol:

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Jul 2012 13:01 #82 by PrintSmith
I could be mistaken Dog, but if memory serves me the "misogynistic hierarchy", as you like to refer to it, what those who aren't religious bigots would refer to as the clergy, for the LDS church are not paid. Their leadership is undertaken out of service to everyone else within their ward. IIRC, they take the view that neither Christ nor his disciples were compensated for their services and so neither should they be compensated. Feel free to correct me if I am in error on that point.

12 Jul 2012 17:38 #83 by Something the Dog Said

PrintSmith wrote: I could be mistaken Dog, but if memory serves me the "misogynistic hierarchy", as you like to refer to it, what those who aren't religious bigots would refer to as the clergy, for the LDS church are not paid. Their leadership is undertaken out of service to everyone else within their ward. IIRC, they take the view that neither Christ nor his disciples were compensated for their services and so neither should they be compensated. Feel free to correct me if I am in error on that point.

I am glad that you have tacitly agreed that your earlier posts were dishonest and misleading. Since you are quibbling about whether the LDS hierarchy is volunteer or paid, they are certainly paid despite their statements to the contrary:

In the Encyclopedia of Mormonism:

"Because the Church has no professional clergy, it is administered at every level through LAY PARTICIPATION AND LEADERSHIP, and officials other than the General Authorities contribute their time and talents without remuneration. ...Because the General Authorities are obliged to leave their regular employment for full-time Church service, they receive a modest living allowance"

73. And the bishop, also, shall receive his support, or a just remuneration for all his services in the church. (Doctrine and Covenants, Sec. 42:71-73)

Since the Mormon Church concedes the right to pay those who serve in a full-time capacity we are left to wonder why they have such strong objections to ministers receiving a "modest living allowance." The claim is made that these funds do not come from tithing but from business investments. Why this should make a difference is not explained. Any money given to or earned by the church should be considered as equally sacred.

The president is also supplied with a home. According to the Salt Lake Tribune, Aug. 27, 1994, p. E1, the president of the LDS Church lives in a "downtown condominium, the official residence of church presidents." In the Salt Lake Tribune, Dec. 8, 1988, we read "The $1.2 million condominium at 40 N. State that is home to the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be exempt from property taxes, Salt Lake County commissioners ruled Tuesday."

Another puzzling aspect of Mormonism is that there is no accounting to the membership of church funds. They are never informed as to the amount of the "modest living allowance" given to their top leaders. In the Wall Street Journal, Nov. 9, 1983, the salary given to a Seventy (second tier of LDS General Authorities, lower than an Apostle) was reported to be $40,000. Obviously, with inflation this salary would be much higher today. If housing is factored in (as in the case of the president of the church) the salary would be quite substantial. When George P. Lee, former Seventy, was terminated in 1989, the LDS Church immediately confiscated his church credit card (Salt Lake Tribune, Sept. 10, 1989). We are left to wonder about what other benefits go with "full-time Church service." For more information on LDS wealth see Mormon America: The Power and the Promise, by Richard and Joan Ostling.

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/paidclergy.htm

According to most sources, the lower level of their ministers and bishops may not receive a salary, but the higher level certainly do.

According to the LDS website:

Today all faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints contribute one tenth of their income as tithing. Tithing funds are used for:

Constructing temples, chapels, and other buildings.
Providing operating funds for the Church.
Funding the missionary program (This does not include individual missionary expenses.)
Preparing materials used in Church classes and organizations.
Temple work, family history, and many other important Church functions.
Education.

So as to your misleading representation that all of the tithing done by the individual members goes to aid the poor and unfortunate, the LDS do not even list that as a priority.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

12 Jul 2012 18:40 #84 by Reverend Revelant
Back to reality here. Obama is rich.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

12 Jul 2012 18:45 #85 by Raees
Is there anyone here that didn't know that previously?

Romney is way richer.

12 Jul 2012 19:41 #86 by Martin Ent Inc
And he who has the most $$$$ is da winner.

12 Jul 2012 19:52 #87 by Blazer Bob
When all you have is lemons, make lemonaid.

12 Jul 2012 21:16 #88 by Something the Dog Said
I see that Arlen is back and posting, but sure the hell staying away from his thread here.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

12 Jul 2012 21:28 #89 by jf1acai
Who was the last 'poor' person, at the time when they were contending for the office, who was a serious contender for, or became the President of the United States?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

12 Jul 2012 21:54 #90 by Something the Dog Said
maybe Harry Truman?

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds