18 Children Among 26 Dead in Conn Elementary School Shooting

14 Dec 2012 12:04 #1 by Jekyll
I just want to be the first to come out with this and say that the "shooter shouldn't have been able to just waltz in that school." For example (and this should be happening at ALL our district buildings) the only way you can gain access to Deer Creek Middle now is getting buzzed in. Anyway, this just broke my heart, cause I know how the anti-gun people will use this macabre incident to their advantage. Laters.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12 ... ticut?lite

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Dec 2012 12:09 #2 by OmniScience
What are the odds that this guy played a lot of video games? Seems to be a trend these days.

Sadness beyond words.

14 Dec 2012 12:13 #3 by cydl
Yep. Another massacre in a "gun-free zone". They just don't get it.

14 Dec 2012 12:27 #4 by Martin Ent Inc

14 Dec 2012 12:32 #5 by archer
Could we save the political commentary for another day? Please?

14 Dec 2012 12:38 #6 by ScienceChic
Unconfirmed reports are that his mother was a kindergarten teacher at the school, was shot dead there, and one journalist posted that he was on the honor roll senior year at Newtown back in 2006. So he would've had no trouble getting in, whether they had additional procedures or not.

http://muckrack.com/topic/Ryan%20Lanza

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Dec 2012 12:39 #7 by CinnamonGirl
I agree on the political commentary. I should not have mentioned it just thinking in my head.

14 Dec 2012 12:45 #8 by FredHayek
Traditionally crime seems to be committed by the dropouts, but I have noticed a disturbing trend of the brightest committing these crimes. The theater shooter, todays bad guy, even the guy who killed poor Jessica seems to have been smarter than most of his classmates.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

14 Dec 2012 12:47 #9 by CinnamonGirl
You should maybe start a new topic in the courthouse.

14 Dec 2012 12:54 #10 by Jekyll
Seeing more articles on Drudge. Apparently, there HAD been new security systems put into place ahead of this, like the one I mentioned is in use at Deer Creek Middle. However, no one seems to know how the shooter got access. I can tell you right now, that there are schools all over this district that get the cops called every weekend because security detects doors breached (propped open) and finding people that aren't even supposed to be there when deputies arrive, and that kind of crap is just a drop in the bucket of issues. There ARE ways to prevent things like this, but you can only go so far when relying on human intelligence, ie; Administration and such staff that are supposed to make sure security precautions are being followed to the T. Bad things DO happen. Here's an incident from China:

http://www.courant.com/sns-rt-us-china- ... 2318.story

Time to create page: 0.566 seconds