A new Board? Any interest?

08 Jan 2013 18:25 #1 by The Boss
So as many of you know, there is a decent amount of discussion both in the Courthouse and to a much greater extent in PMs about how vile it is to try and grow, learn, influence and become wise in an atmosphere where the Lady Jazzer persona (and to a much lesser extent others on both sides) has made this place much less than what many people here feel like it could be.

Though I admit she keeps me coming back, I come back like I could watch people fall down stairs all day. And that is not healthy. If some of the more articulate thinkers here (especially those that don't agree with me - which is pretty easy) were to discuss cool stuff elsewhere, I would like go there in stead of here.

I remember GOPtwin, who posts here and there at this point who used to be quite vile as well. He has toned down and I think the ideal is somewhere in between where he was (LJland) and where he is (somewhat silent). I used to be pissed to read his stuff (not the opinions or the content, but the attitude) like LJs stuff. Now I wonder more what his perspective is.

I think that the atmosphere around here resulting from the LJ types (and perhaps others think the same of me and then I would make the same suggestion), is vile. I don't agree with Raees most of the time, but he/she is rarely vile.

So if there is interest, I would consider spearheading another courthouse type forum on another site. I think the trick is to have the same freedom you have here, with just the right amount of restriction as to weed out the vile talk - but not the opposing view points. It is obviously not easy, but the combination of 285bound loose rules and LJ have resulted in a demand for more competition to the 285bound courthouse (knowing that I don't want 285bound to go anywhere, I just feel it does not address all the demand in this market - there is a demand to restrict the flow of unsubstantiated ideas or those unwilling to defend their views directly).

So this is why I post here. Is there interest for an LJ free discussion group? Essentially this would be a place for those that are articulate. Perhaps this goes no where, either way, I hope that those at 285bound, a competitive business, realize that this atmosphere being created by one of your customers is creating an opportunity to establish a firm to compete with you. If another board attracts people, you will, in the end, be splitting advertising revenue with such a firm. It would seem there would be some logic to restricting your customers as to not make running your business more difficult. This is similar to a bar where one of the patrons starts a fist fight each night and the fancy people stop going to the bar and a decent bar opens up next door to cater to those that don't want fist fights. You could keep the courthouse and start another forum where she is not allowed. This is not a threat, more of a post to make you aware of the demand in the market and that someone else is ready to fill that demand should it reach a critical mass.

I think it would only be a few clicks in simple scripts and a board would be born (not that it would not be a lot of work to keep it up - I am pretty sure folks work hard on 285bound to keep it looking cool and clean).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jan 2013 18:58 #2 by The Boss
Replied by The Boss on topic A new Board? Any interest?
Wow, that was a quicker reaction than I even thought. Thanks for all the PMs and the numerous emails, keep them coming, even those that disagree are welcome, though they have not responded yet (just please explain yourself when you do).

I still think this would be a great place to post alternative solutions to the problem that has been identified by many and agreed upon by many more, a solution alternative to another board, but if that is the best solution, it will come.

I still ask LJ to reconsider her style of posting (not her opinions at this point) as to keep others posting here with her, because clearly she likes being here. You are risking "here" all together with your behavior. So many people are just sick of it. This board is at risk because of you, please consider this. Please consider those that have invested so much in 285bound and respect it and the freedom they provide. Those that abuse freedom risk freedom for all and especially themselves.

08 Jan 2013 19:04 #3 by Soulshiner
So, you want to ban LJ from participating? If we endorse that kind of board, then we are not for free speech. Who made you the judge of who's articulate? I see LJ post and back up those posts with links and facts supporting her OPINIONS. Why aren't you suggesting banning those who post speculation with no links or facts to back up their OPINIONS? Most posters are here because PC bans posters who get salty in the Study and they don't like it.

I notice you aren't proposing banning someone like Otis from a new board. This is an attempt to get rid of LJ. I won't endorse getting rid of anyone. If you don't like someone's posts, you can put them on ignore. It works great.

This is what freedom looks like. It ain't pretty because you have to put up with other posters that you don't agree with or like their delivery because those posters HAVE THE SAME EXACT RIGHTS AS EVERYONE ELSE.

As for having influence on others, why not post your opinions, back them up with links and facts and let them stand out there on their own? That's what LJ does. You seem to ignore the fact that LJ is continually slammed by those that don't agree with her. They even go to the degree of insulting everything they can think of about her. I have not seen anything posted against anyone else on here that comes close to the bitter, hateful personal attacks that LJ endures almost daily. Yet, you don't see her whine about it, she gives it right back and rightfully so.

So, instead of suggesting that a certain posters be excluded from a new forum that you would like to see, why don't you address the brutal personal attacks that are launched against LJ DAILY? I would bet that if the character attacks against LJ were eliminated, she would tone it down as well. But those who disagree with her post brutal personal attacks that are not even disguised as discussion. To single out LJ is a truly BS stance and is more telling about what you really want, which is to silence her.

Post away LJ, I'll be here to support your right to express your opinions and call out those who are more interested in slamming you that "discussing" the issues.

When you plant ice you're going to harvest wind. - Robert Hunter

08 Jan 2013 19:16 - 08 Jan 2013 19:30 #4 by The Boss

Soulshiner wrote: So, you want to ban LJ from participating? If we endorse that kind of board, then we are not for free speech. Who made you the judge of who's articulate? I see LJ post and back up those posts with links and facts supporting her OPINIONS. Why aren't you suggesting banning those who post speculation with no links or facts to back up their OPINIONS? Most posters are here because PC bans posters who get salty in the Study and they don't like it.

I notice you aren't proposing banning someone like Otis from a new board. This is an attempt to get rid of LJ. I won't endorse getting rid of anyone. If you don't like someone's posts, you can put them on ignore. It works great.

This is what freedom looks like. It ain't pretty because you have to put up with other posters that you don't agree with or like their delivery because those posters HAVE THE SAME EXACT RIGHTS AS EVERYONE ELSE.

As for having influence on others, why not post your opinions, back them up with links and facts and let them stand out there on their own? That's what LJ does. You seem to ignore the fact that LJ is continually slammed by those that don't agree with her. They even go to the degree of insulting everything they can think of about her. I have not seen anything posted against anyone else on here that comes close to the bitter, hateful personal attacks that LJ endures almost daily. Yet, you don't see her whine about it, she gives it right back and rightfully so.

So, instead of suggesting that a certain posters be excluded from a new forum that you would like to see, why don't you address the brutal personal attacks that are launched against LJ DAILY? I would bet that if the character attacks against LJ were eliminated, she would tone it down as well. But those who disagree with her post brutal personal attacks that are not even disguised as discussion. To single out LJ is a truly BS stance and is more telling about what you really want, which is to silence her.

Post away LJ, I'll be here to support your right to express your opinions and call out those who are more interested in slamming you that "discussing" the issues.

LJ does not back up her posts. She does not need to be banned here, that is not my choice. I do post my opinions, I am willing to continue to discuss any of them and I am glad to support them or WOW, even reconsider them.

I see the risk to the 285bound brand, I hear the talk, I would not want this type of talk associated with my business, even associated with someone that was known to be a regular customer of mine. LJ does not even hide her identity, the associations between people, their activities and their pasts can be well searched. But this is not my business and partly because of this crap, this is not a business that I trade with for marketing, though I have considered it many times, because 285bound is AWESOME!!!!. I would think that a majority of those that own businesses up here would find her views vile and thus don't do ads here assuming that her perspective is that of the other readers as she dominates the courthouse which dominates 285bound, which is what advertisers look at.

We are all judges as to who is articulate. ALL of us. You just explained yourself very well, you were not accurate, but you were articulate, thank you.

If I was unclear, my main points are that the 285bound courthouse is at slight risk of not being as diverse and that there are so many people sick of the way she posts that there may be enough people to start another fruitful discussion another discussion board/marketing business. To be honest I wont even have to ban LJ, she likely wont come.

Private people in private places restricting speech is acceptable to me. The govt restricting any type of speech is not to me. I am certainly not the govt.

Oh if there is other vile stuff I am not addressing, I don't read everything here. You do realize the LJ likely likes being attacked. If what you say is true and she is attacked daily, why would she keep walking down the same dark alley unless she liked it or someone was forcing her to....

OMG, are you suggesting LJ is a hostage? Perhaps some underage girl being force to post this stuff, if so we have a different action item.

Kind Soul, if you want to REALLY see what freedom looks like, lets get all the posters from here in a room and work this out. Then you will know the consequences of freedom. A bunch of people posting on line where only some words are starred out, where my screen name, which was not in use by anyone else at the time, was changed without my permission and posts are moved around, combined etc. These are all fine restrictions by me, that that is not freedom and we are not actually with each other right now. Oh yeah, and haven't people called the cops on others on this board?

But is it OK, you don't have to come. Hopefully everyone will just get the freaking point and work out some spontaneous cooperation. Thanks for the additional emails. I should tell the folks here, even those that support LJ politics are not happy with the way she goes about it, not everyone is worshiping her poor justifications like her group of a half dozen disciples, they just don't comment about it publicly and I am not calling them out by name based on request. The private discussions of how to deal with LJ's vile posts have been around just about as long as she has, they ebb and flow but never go away, right now they are at a head, this could be a turning point.

08 Jan 2013 19:27 #5 by Something the Dog Said
That is really weak. LJ is not the problem. She backs up her post with relevant links, unlike posters like toad and Fred who just make it up. If you can't man it up, then sure create your own echo chamber so you won't be challenged.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

08 Jan 2013 19:31 #6 by RenegadeCJ
LJ has no interest in discussion. She is extremely angry, and would rather see a conservative dead than admit that their is actually a conflict of visions in this country. It is sad, and I personally have just chosen to not even read what she says. This isn't because of her side of the argument, which I acknowledge, but rather how she spews her opinions and hatred of me and other conservatives. She is the most vile person I have ever come in contact with (at least on this board, I have no idea if her personality here transfers to her personal life...maybe she is a very nice person when you meet her, but she vents her poison here to keep her personal life kinder and gentler).

I don't have any interest in banning LJ...although she has made me less of a visitor and poster in this study, because life is too short to have such hatred visit me every day. I just wish she would phrase her opinions in a well thought out and civil way (which I have seen her do on occasion) instead of how she currently posts.

Would I go to another board....not likely. I don't have a lot of time anyway, and probably would only periodically visit another board, if at all.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

08 Jan 2013 19:39 #7 by The Boss

Something the Dog Said wrote: That is really weak. LJ is not the problem. She backs up her post with relevant links, unlike posters like toad and Fred who just make it up. If you can't man it up, then sure create your own echo chamber so you won't be challenged.

What is weak is that you consider her sources to be decent when they are often not and then refuse to even consider apple falling from a tree logic when it does not have a weak article link.

I want to be challenged, I am sorry that is not clear, I have begged LJ for a back and forth where there were direct responses. I have so much less of an issue with most of her cohorts like your self that others.

The messages I have been getting for the last hour from most people group YOU, archer, Raess and couple other with her and work on convincing me you are just as vile. I just don't see it, she stands out.

Um just in case you haven't noticed, NO ONE agrees with me on just about any topic....except THIS ONE, but more people have responded to my concept than have posted on the 285bound courthouse today. Compared to the private and email discussions of this, the Courthouse today is the echo chamber.

08 Jan 2013 19:43 #8 by The Boss

RenegadeCJ wrote: I don't have any interest in banning LJ...although she has made me less of a visitor and poster in this study, because life is too short to have such hatred visit me every day. I just wish she would phrase her opinions in a well thought out and civil way (which I have seen her do on occasion) instead of how she currently posts.

This has been my primary goal, but I have been failing at it, so I compelled to stop failing, but I am very very bad at giving up, if you have not noticed.

08 Jan 2013 19:45 #9 by Raees
Replied by Raees on topic A new Board? Any interest?
So really what you are advocating is an LJ-free board for Righties. I find it amusing you single out one poster by name, when there are others on the other side much more of a problem.

You don't like a particular poster? Put them on ignore and you won't see their posts.

08 Jan 2013 19:48 #10 by FredHayek
You could always just ignore LJ or drop out of threads she posts in.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds