A new Board? Any interest?

08 Jan 2013 20:42 #21 by The Boss
Replied by The Boss on topic A new Board? Any interest?
I don't think you guys get what I am doing. This is very VLesque, I have learned by posting here. Think about that for a moment.

My sense is that ScienceChic knows exactly what I am doing and does not feel at risk at all. Anyone who takes a second to think about it would.

In fact the primary audience I am speaking to is 285bound staff. They are loosing posters left and right. They are coming back up and saying so, even though I bet sciencechic is running the numbers.

I will say it clearly now.

My goal was to get people to talk about this again. which we are and to drive it home that there is likely a business cost and a community cost to the way LJ interacts with this company.

If real demand does continue to develop, there will be another board. This thread was designed specifically to avoid that and help the company that has set up this great community that is being ruined by some of those that moved in.

In the words of someone we all know well,

Thanks for playing!

And if you feel played with, like you were sucked into a fake discussion that you actually had real feelings about that you tried to express clearly but just got garbage in response...now you know exactly what I am talking about.

and on that note.....you have lost me.

Sorry to end this by playing games with others in the community that have been decent, I have just had it and have tried a number of other ways.

Thanks to all those that have enlightened me by sharing their thoughts carefully. Please don't bother to respond to me, just write a note on some paper and flush it, I will be more likely to see your response that way as I am kayaking the knar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jan 2013 20:58 #22 by otisptoadwater
I know that there are plenty of folks who are diametrically opposed to everything I post, I'm ok with that. In fact, those who offer credible retorts have my respect and maybe even cause me some introspection.

Name calling and all of the BS? My hyde is very thick and I'll just ignore you. Don't like what I post? Guess what? I DON'T CARE!

Should LJ or anyone else I disagree with be banned? NO! Isn't that the primary reason we all post on 285bound? We can say what we want and those who disagree are free to say what they want to say in return.

Stand up another 285 corridor specific board that provides similar moderation and freedom of speech at the same time? Good luck with that. The same issues that come up on 285bound and PC and probably any other board you choose to name will come up on any new board, how they are dealt with will dictate who chooses to participate. If it's too hard to deal with a few snarky comments or you can't take the constant badgering from those who disagree maybe it's time to look inward and decide if 285bound is not where you want to be.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

08 Jan 2013 21:57 #23 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic A new Board? Any interest?
I like 285Bound. I like all the good things that 285Bound and SC have done for the community.

I do not like all the generalizations and disrespect that is shown by many of the posters here. LJ is not alone, although IMO her approach is one of the biggest reasons why many, like myself, rarely post here anymore.

I used to recommend 285Bound to everyone. I cannot do that anymore.

I do not know the answer. As I recall, the original idea of 285Bound was that posters were considered to be adults, and could self moderate. IMO, that is not working.

If you were talking with someone face to face, would you continually SHOUT the same disrespectful stuff over and over?

I don't think so, and it gets really, really, old.

IMO, the key to the problem is the lack of respect for others.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

08 Jan 2013 22:04 #24 by archer
Replied by archer on topic A new Board? Any interest?
Unfortunately, every time one side or the other asks for more respect on 285Bound they usually mean they want more respect from the other side so their own side can continue to insult posters with impunity.

08 Jan 2013 22:08 #25 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic A new Board? Any interest?
oh well

08 Jan 2013 22:09 #26 by archer

frogger wrote: oh well

nature of the message board beast....it's why we love this place....

08 Jan 2013 22:17 #27 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic A new Board? Any interest?

Unfortunately, every time one side or the other asks for more respect on 285Bound they usually mean they want more respect from the other side so their own side can continue to insult posters with impunity.

More of the same generalizations. Putting everyone into convenient boxes is what has led to the problem, IMO.

I doubt that any 2 people on this site actually fit into the same identical box. Why must the responses be based upon personalities/perceived sides, rather than on on what was actually said?

I've provided my input, I'm going to bed.

Enjoy.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

08 Jan 2013 22:23 #28 by archer

jf1acai wrote:

More of the same generalizations. Putting everyone into convenient boxes is what has led to the problem, IMO.

I doubt that any 2 people on this site actually fit into the same identical box. Why must the responses be based upon personalities/perceived sides, rather than on on what was actually said?

I've provided my input, I'm going to bed.

Enjoy.

Good idea, you're not making much sense. If you can't see the sides that have been taken on this board you have not been paying attention.

08 Jan 2013 22:27 #29 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic A new Board? Any interest?
lost cause

08 Jan 2013 22:40 #30 by Mtn Gramma
This is a paraphrase of something I heard today:
Our culture has accepted two huge lies.
The first is that if you disagree with someone, you must fear or hate them.
The second is that to love someone means that you agree with everything they believe or do.
Both are nonsense.
You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds