Most of the Media MIA on "house of horrors"

12 Apr 2013 09:01 - 12 Apr 2013 09:14 #11 by Rick

archer wrote: A simple google search shows feature stories by CBS, ABC, and the Huffington Post, some dating back to January, some recent. So while I find the story disturbing, I do question your title of this thread. If the accusations are true this "doctor" is a butcher. So why make your thread about the media and not about the horrors of his action. So there is the spin you were expecting, but it's your own.

I made it about the media's lack of coverage because that's the part I wanted to focus on. We get endless coverage about a psycho who killed her boyfriend, but hardly anything about a "doctor" who has a bad habit of keeping baby body parts and botching abortions. If this was a veterinarian tossing puppies in a dumpster and keeping souvenir body parts, the media would be coming unglued. But alas, these are only humans.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Apr 2013 09:04 #12 by Rick

The Dude wrote: What is twisted is that there are small minded people out there that think that because people are pro-choice and believe in a womans right to choose that they would defend the way this Dr. ran his practice. Speaks volumes!

Show me the money, I never said that did I? My thread was about the lack of left wing media interest.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

12 Apr 2013 10:40 #13 by FredHayek

Rick wrote:

archer wrote: A simple google search shows feature stories by CBS, ABC, and the Huffington Post, some dating back to January, some recent. So while I find the story disturbing, I do question your title of this thread. If the accusations are true this "doctor" is a butcher. So why make your thread about the media and not about the horrors of his action. So there is the spin you were expecting, but it's your own.

I made it about the media's lack of coverage because that's the part I wanted to focus on. We get endless coverage about a psycho who killed her boyfriend, but hardly anything about a "doctor" who has a bad habit of keeping baby body parts and botching abortions. If this was a veterinarian tossing puppies in a dumpster and keeping souvenir body parts, the media would be coming unglued. But alas, these are only humans.

I think abortion should be legal, but like you, find it interesting to see what generates attention from the media and general public.

Why did Trayvon Martin grab more attention than the Chicago honor roll student who was shot by a gang member?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Apr 2013 11:19 - 12 Apr 2013 11:41 #14 by LadyJazzer

FredHayek wrote: Why did Trayvon Martin grab more attention than the Chicago honor roll student who was shot by a gang member?

Because the excuse for his death was the NRA-supported "Stand Your Ground" law, and the gun-nuts made it a cause celebre.

12 Apr 2013 11:34 #15 by archer

Rick wrote:

The Dude wrote: What is twisted is that there are small minded people out there that think that because people are pro-choice and believe in a womans right to choose that they would defend the way this Dr. ran his practice. Speaks volumes!

Show me the money, I never said that did I? My thread was about the lack of left wing media interest.

Now that we know that isn't true, there was as much left wing media interest as right wing media interest......so what would you like to use as spin to attack liberals now?

Or maybe, in the interest of actually fostering discussion....we could discuss how a doctor like this is allowed to practice medicine without any of this being investigated for years? Is it because he had mostly poor/black patients? Do the public and the authorities look the other way because it wasn't wealthy white patients who were harmed? This isn't as much about abortion (much as some seem to want to make it so) but about a butcher/incompetent doctor who wasn't stopped.

12 Apr 2013 11:43 #16 by FOS
Did this conversation just get reduced down to a racial issue?

12 Apr 2013 11:58 #17 by FredHayek
Reduced down? No. I didn't even know the race of the victims, but it does seem like minority crime victims don't get as much air time. If Newtown had happened on the Texas/Mexico border and the victims and shooters had been Latino, I doubt it would have received as much attention.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Apr 2013 12:11 #18 by archer

frogger wrote: Did this conversation just get reduced down to a racial issue?

No.....even though you seem to want to insinuate that is was.....this is more an economic issue than a racial one. Do you think if doctor in a clinic catering to wealthy women....of any race... had run his practice this way it would have lasted this long?

12 Apr 2013 12:26 #19 by LadyJazzer

FredHayek wrote: Reduced down? No. I didn't even know the race of the victims, but it does seem like minority crime victims don't get as much air time. If Newtown had happened on the Texas/Mexico border and the victims and shooters had been Latino, I doubt it would have received as much attention.

Funny thing about mowing down 20 first graders and 6 teachers by a nut-job with an AR-15... I think it would have gotten the same coverage regardless of where it happened...

But thanks for playing.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds