Vote no on 4A

05 Oct 2013 19:01 #151 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Vote no on 4A
If that is the case and the ballot is correct, I will campaign as hard as I can against it. This is just plain wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Oct 2013 22:26 #152 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Vote no on 4A
Happy Camper, I'm not sure where you got your information, but that is incorrect.

The only people who do not live in the district who can vote are landowners who own land in the district, but live elsewhere. Only district land and home owners pay taxes here. Nobody in the rest of Park or Jefferson County pays for Elk Creek.

http://lwvjeffco.org/ElectedOfficials.html

SPECIAL DISTRICTS
Property owners reside in a number of special districts for which they are taxed. These are listed on the property tax notice and may also be obtained from the County Assessor's office (303-271 8666) by giving name and address or a legal description of the property.

There are six main types of Special Districts in Jefferson County: water, sanitation, water and sanitation, fire protection, park and recreation, and metropolitan. A Board of Directors is elected to staggered four-year terms to manage the affairs of the district. This Board has quasi-municipal powers in the area for which the district was created, i.e., it determines policy and sets the mill levy (if applicable) or fees for the specific purpose of the district.

To vote in special District Elections, persons must be qualified to vote in general elections in Colorado and be: a) a resident of the special district for 30 days, or b) a person who or whose spouse owns taxable real or personal property in the district.

For additional information concerning Special Districts
call the State of Colorado, Division of Local Government (303-866-2156)
or your special district office.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 Oct 2013 06:27 #153 by FOS
Why hasn't Elk Creek offered a clarification here?

06 Oct 2013 07:31 #154 by Reverend Revelant
Replied by Reverend Revelant on topic Vote no on 4A

frogger wrote: Why hasn't Elk Creek offered a clarification here?

Ok... I've really not jumped into this thread due to the fact that I have been writing a very long article about 4a for the Flume (which will publish on Fri. Oct. 11th) and it would be unethical for me to argue points for or against in this thread.

But since the article is now into the paper, I can at least try to clear something up in regards to what you are reading.

YOU DON"T HAVE A BALLOT IN YOUR HAND.

You have an information booklet referring to the issues that are being offered to various Park County residents.

I suspect ALL ISSUES at hand are printed in that booklet no matter which fire district you live in. It makes more sense in regards to costs, mailing, time etc. to place all measures in one informational booklet.

In other circumstances you would be complaining about public waste and money spent.

You shouldn't receive a BALLOT for 4a UNLESS you live in the Elk Creek Fire Protection District (which does include a small park of east Park County).

The ballots are suppose to be in your mailbox by or around Oct. 15th.

If you should receive a ballot and you are SURE that you do not live in the Elk Creek fire district (check you yearly property tax statement), then call Jefferson County.

I suspect the reason you have not received an answer yet is because it is THE WEEKEND, and country offices are CLOSED.

I don't think this is any sort of problem (or conspiracy) . And if there is a problem, call Jeffco on Monday.

(Otherwise I will still be staying out of this issue on this thread or any other 4a thread).

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

06 Oct 2013 08:35 #155 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Vote no on 4A

Walter L Newton wrote:

frogger wrote: Why hasn't Elk Creek offered a clarification here?

Ok... I've really not jumped into this thread due to the fact that I have been writing a very long article about 4a for the Flume (which will publish on Fri. Oct. 11th) and it would be unethical for me to argue points for or against in this thread.

But since the article is now into the paper, I can at least try to clear something up in regards to what you are reading.

YOU DON"T HAVE A BALLOT IN YOUR HAND.

You have an information booklet referring to the issues that are being offered to various Park County residents.

I suspect ALL ISSUES at hand are printed in that booklet no matter which fire district you live in. It makes more sense in regards to costs, mailing, time etc. to place all measures in one informational booklet.

In other circumstances you would be complaining about public waste and money spent.

You shouldn't receive a BALLOT for 4a UNLESS you live in the Elk Creek Fire Protection District (which does include a small park of east Park County).

The ballots are suppose to be in your mailbox by or around Oct. 15th.

If you should receive a ballot and you are SURE that you do not live in the Elk Creek fire district (check you yearly property tax statement), then call Jefferson County.

I suspect the reason you have not received an answer yet is because it is THE WEEKEND, and country offices are CLOSED.

I don't think this is any sort of problem (or conspiracy) . And if there is a problem, call Jeffco on Monday.

(Otherwise I will still be staying out of this issue on this thread or any other 4a thread).

Thank you maybe next time they should put a little blurb in the "Information" booklet that states how you know if you will be voting on that issue it is an "Information" booklet.

SC, I thought I had a pretty good source I am not going to mention names.

06 Oct 2013 09:20 #156 by Reverend Revelant

HappyCamper wrote:
[snip]

Dougy is not a good source for anything :)

06 Oct 2013 09:35 #157 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Vote no on 4A

Walter L Newton wrote:

HappyCamper wrote:
[snip]

Dougy is not a good source for anything :)

It was not Dougy.

06 Oct 2013 10:13 #158 by FOS
I am not believing anything until I speak to our own County Clerk.

06 Oct 2013 11:47 #159 by Reverend Revelant

frogger wrote: I am not believing anything until I speak to our own County Clerk.

And if it's anything other than what I suspect above, please let us know. I'll contact my editor and see if he can run a short explanation (or maybe I can get it into my article as a coda to the story).

06 Oct 2013 12:29 #160 by FOS
Thx Walter. Will do. Will call first thing in the am.

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds