Vote no on 4A

05 Oct 2013 10:32 #141 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Vote no on 4A

Science Chic wrote: The county is responsible for mailing out the ballots to the correct households, not the fire departments. If it came to you by mistake, I would recommend calling the county clerk if you believe you received something in error. Each person should only vote on the responding fire department district in which they live, as that is the district you pay taxes to.

There are some residences in Park Co that are in ECFPD's district, I can't tell what they are street by street but you can always call the fire stations and ask.

Something else to keep in mind - you only receive a mail-in ballot if you are an active voter - that is, you voted in the last election. You can call and request one, as far as I know (but my own personal opinion is that you should be doing your civic duty and voting every election).

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Hope that when we get the ballot it does not have EC issue on it but will also call Park Co Monday to clarify.

I find hard to believe that DCVR would be consider part of EC when we have perfectly good fire station at the top of Crow Hill that is leaps an bounds closer to us than any EC station.

I can understand Woodside and Will-O-Wisp but not DCVR I do not subscribe to the Flume so not sure if they posted an explanation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Oct 2013 10:45 #142 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Vote no on 4A
The pre ballot I received contains two tax increase measures and that is all.
One that is sort of weird that combines the Sheriff's Dept and the School District with a .9 Mill tax increase to be used for a school resource officer and additional security. I can hear the the screams now about how we should keep our children safe. Allowing certain trained individuals the ability to conceal carry will provide the same outcome.
The other issue is the Elk Creek 2.5 Mill raise and has clearly been sent to Park County residence intentionally. My pre ballot comes straight from the Park County Clerk. The Elk Creek tax takes up most of the pamphlet. It was no mistake.
This makes me pretty uncomfortable. (THX HC for bringing it to our attention.)
As I said before.....Platte Canyon has it's own issues and residents here will have to grapple with those at some point. Apparently not right now though.
As I said before SC. I would have probably voted yes for Elk Creek had I lived in their district but I will not vote yes to increase my taxes on services I WILL NOT and DO NOT receive.
I am also concerned with cross county taxing. I understand that some of that will occur given the district boundaries but I feel like they are fishing for extra money from those they do not serve. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

05 Oct 2013 11:05 #143 by HappyCamper

frogger wrote: The pre ballot I received contains two tax increase measures and that is all.
One that is sort of weird that combines the Sheriff's Dept and the School District with a .9 Mill tax increase to be used for a school resource officer and additional security. I can hear the the screams now about how we should keep our children safe. Allowing certain trained individuals the ability to conceal carry will provide the same outcome.
The other issue is the Elk Creek 2.5 Mill raise and has clearly been sent to Park County residence intentionally. My pre ballot comes straight from the Park County Clerk. The Elk Creek tax takes up most of the pamphlet. It was no mistake.
This makes me pretty uncomfortable. (THX HC for bringing it to our attention.)
As I said before.....Platte Canyon has it's own issues and residents here will have to grapple with those at some point. Apparently not right now though.
As I said before SC. I would have probably voted yes for Elk Creek had I lived in their district but I will not vote yes to increase my taxes on services I WILL NOT and DO NOT receive.
I am also concerned with cross county taxing. I understand that some of that will occur given the district boundaries but I feel like they are fishing for extra money from those they do not serve. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I have to agree with Frogger if we are included the EC map does not show it and now we do not have a chance to voice our opinion or get clarification by attending a meeting.

I was curious so I contacted my insurance agent and my rating was based upon the fire station at the top of Crow Hill not EC.

Just an FYI when we had an oven fire several years ago it was Platte Canyon that responded not EC.

If I lived in EC or if my primary (closest) fire station was EC I would not have a problem voting yes but it is not and so my vote will be no sorry.

05 Oct 2013 11:13 #144 by FOS
Another question. If Elk Creek wins this.....will a portion of that money they get be sent back to our own FD for their use?

05 Oct 2013 11:45 #145 by FOS
I went to Elk Creek's facebook page to try and get some additional info and didn't find anything but they do have some very nice looking Fire Fighters.

05 Oct 2013 12:25 #146 by Kassk20
Replied by Kassk20 on topic Vote no on 4A
Contact elk creek's station 1, they will be able to help you with questions regarding district boundaries.

05 Oct 2013 16:18 #147 by FOS
I know what the boundaries are and I am not in Elk Creeks District. I have lived in the same home for almost 20 years and I am clearly in Platte Canyons district.

05 Oct 2013 17:04 #148 by Venturer
Replied by Venturer on topic Vote no on 4A

HappyCamper wrote:

Hope that when we get the ballot it does not have EC issue on it but will also call Park Co Monday to clarify.

I find hard to believe that DCVR would be consider part of EC when we have perfectly good fire station at the top of Crow Hill that is leaps an bounds closer to us than any EC station.

I can understand Woodside and Will-O-Wisp but not DCVR I do not subscribe to the Flume so not sure if they posted an explanation.

Thanks Happy Camper for checking. Burland shouldn't be getting the preballot information for ECFD either. But I must remember this is Parkco and these things happen.

05 Oct 2013 17:21 #149 by HappyCamper
This is just crazy, I think they mail this stuff so we get it on Fridays so we can't call anyone to get clarification and we get to stew over it all weekend.

05 Oct 2013 18:21 #150 by HappyCamper
I got a little more info.

While only a small portion of Park Co residents are in the EC area we all vote on it and if it passes we all pay for it (maybe not the Fairplay side).

I am still calling on Monday to verify this is the case and when I find out I will let you know.

My only opinion on this is that I do not want EC deciding what to do with the money and I do feel for those that would have EC be the first response to their home/emergency.

If we are all paying for it then let's keep it in district and figure out a way to make sure folks in those areas are covered.

Time to create page: 0.324 seconds