Vote no on 4A

10 Oct 2013 12:40 #231 by FNP
Replied by FNP on topic Vote no on 4A

WindPeak wrote:
Did you forget that they are better trained and don't fight with each other, not trying to get Unions in there like this District is trying to do with their blank check they want taxpayers to authorize. Dump the paid administration and use volunteers like InterCanyon and build a better fire department. Try using IC as an example of professional volunteer f.f.

And Elk Creek doesn't receive mutual aid from other fire protection districts?

I have seen nothing that shows Inter canyon is better trained.

I haven't seen the union conspiracy you refer to.

Since the folks in Intercanyon pay almost 4 times as much as we do per capita for their fire and EMS, I don't think I'd use them as a model. Do you propose we pay 4 times as much per capita here for Elk Creek?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Oct 2013 13:21 #232 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Vote no on 4A
How about North Fork Fire as a comparison?

Those guys are doing an amazing job on very little money.

10 Oct 2013 13:56 #233 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Vote no on 4A
....or Platte Canyon who was given a chunk of change and I don't think anyone really knows what happened there.

10 Oct 2013 14:34 #234 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Vote no on 4A

Grady wrote: Note to SC. I missed your post where you stated up front that you were supporting Friends of Elk of Elk Creek. I apologize for that. As I told you in a PM I would never not, support one of your paid advertisers based on who or what you support. I hope you are not saying that I would attempt to harm the business of any of your advertisers.

As far as the 4A issue is concerned, I will not support the tax increase. Property values will come back. I don't think it's any great secret that the board has been planning on submitting a mill levy increase for quite some time, long before Chief McLaughlin was hired. With property levels down, revenue down, and last year's fires, the board apparently felt the time was right to bring up a tax increase.

Thank you for the clarification Grady, I was not calling you out on that particular point. My post was an attempt to answer multiple posts at once which is why I made it generic and didn't quote every single post I was answering - it was long enough as is.

Question for you: how soon do you see property values coming back? I have a neighbor who's been selling real estate for over 16 years now and he's really worried about another downturn in the market after the first of the year. Why? New laws enacted that will hold brokers and lending institutions liable for lawsuits brought directly by homeowners who feel they weren't handled with kid gloves and given adequate info when signing for loans and get into trouble. He estimates that of the market of people who can afford to purchase homes right now, that will be reduced to 60% come Jan 1 because lenders and brokers are going to become extremely cautious as to who they approve for home loans, and restrict criteria even further, meaning fewer loans approved and fewer houses sold. He sees a big downturn in real estate next year, which means values not increasing. Granted, he's one opinion, but given the issues with our government not even being able to pass budgets, ACA effects, stagnate job outlooks, etc do you really see the economy picking up significantly? I'm highly doubtful myself.

Given that the trucks needing replaced are already past ISO's criteria for being counted, should they spend tens of thousands of dollars replacing pumps and engines instead of replacing the trucks, how is the department going to find enough money within the next 2 years, as that income has now been determined by the counties and the department told how much they can expect - and it's another 4% decrease. It takes a year for these trucks to be built, even from the time that they are ordered, and they have to be paid for over many years on a lease-purchase. How do you propose they come up with funds to do so?

ECFPD is facing an immediate problem that can't be solved by bake sales. The mountain area chiefs' efforts to eliminate district boundaries and help folks out who are closer to out-of-district stations and reduce their insurance ratings based on distance to responding stations won't be fixed without serious capital investment and time to change dispatch from Jeffco Sheriff to the center at EFR.

The ISO review is next year. Revenue is decreasing for at least the next 2 years, that's a fact. They have a station open on the top of Conifer Mtn that costs money to heat, light, and maintain. If the department is losing money and needs to tighten their expenditures, AND they lose the tanker credit anyway so all those folks go to an ISO PC10, it's fiscally responsible to close that station, cut money being spent on servicing old equipment that is costing overtime on the mechanic's part right now, and save money. It's simple math.

I'm not surprised that this mill happened - they proposed one in 2007 and again in 2010 - the need for it hasn't gone away, it's just been kicked down the road. Even Mike Bartlett said in the Public Affairs Meeting that he supported the last mill levy. What's different about this time? Nothing, except that he's not on the board anymore and the trucks and gear has only gotten older, and the station facilities maintenance has been put off.

North Fork isn't really a fair comparison as they don't have paid medical staff, serve 1700 people, have significantly fewer number of structures to protect, and go on ~200 calls per year. Their mill rate is 12.00. What is the status of their equipment? When is their ISO review? They don't have to cover the numerous Hwy 285 accidents, or Staunton State Park with tens of thousands of visitors.

Platte Canyon looks like it does have budget issues, but I'm not familiar with that department at all. Their mill rate almost double ECFPD's, they serve almost the same number of residents, but they go on a lot fewer calls which means a higher cost/call.

Even with passing this mill levy, it's still the best return on investment the residents are getting. But this isn't about North Fork or Platte Canyon, this is about Elk Creek. They've cut what they can, and they've analyzed their level of service they can provide with and without the mill levy, in regards to what is happening in real-time with insurance reviews, and have provided you that information. That's not extortion, threats, or emotional hand-wringing, that's justifying why they are asking for what they are, and allowing the voters of the district to decide what service level they wish to have. The mill isn't a "blank check" - it has specifically stated uses and they have to file appropriations that are mandated by law showing how it's spent. This board and Chief have demonstrated fiscal responsibility with their actions, look at the budgets and look at their actions. Call and ask them if you have questions. Come to the board meeting tonight. Go to the Open House and see their facilities. The firefighters, paid and volunteer, have come out in overwhelming support of this board and their chief - there is no in-fighting or internal division. They aren't hiding anything.
File Attachment:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Oct 2013 14:43 #235 by Twister
Replied by Twister on topic Vote no on 4A

Science Chic wrote:
*Edit to add: and the "union" isn't really a union - it doesn't have bargaining rights, it doesn't have voting rights, and the Chief explained all that in the Public Affairs meeting.

:sarcasm:

so the local listed on Colorado professional firefighters ( insulting as can be as volunteers are not included in this effort as they aren't "professional") is not our elk creek. And the union contact listed on CPFF as "Jacob ware" is not really the union contact for the fake union? and the dues they pay into thier local " war chest" isn't real money?

And Mike Rogers elk creeks board president is not one of the officers for CPFF the organization that thinks that volunteers aren't professional and That they should get more paid people to get more union members to grow CPFF.

Bargaining rights? Try googling Colorado collective bargaining and Mike Rogers

That is all fake? I LOVE NEVERLAND,

10 Oct 2013 15:32 #236 by FNP

WindPeak wrote: Sorry FNP you can't blame the equipment for the last two disastrous fire seasons. Errors were made by McLaughlin in the Lower North Fork Fire, his assuming command when it wasn't even his district. More evaluation needs to be done of the f.f. process w/i the District. That doesn't mean throwing more money at it will improve it.

Actually, I am blaming the lack of equipment and trained firefighters. Colorado had big fires because Colorado couldn’t keep small fires small. An overwhelming initial attack with lots of trained firefighters and equipment is what is going to keep small fires small and if you don’t have enough equipment and firefighters for the initial attack, it doesn’t matter who is in charge.

The State of Colorado has almost no initial attack capability. The federal government departments have almost no initial attack capability and what they do have has been cut over the years. The Colorado Guard has no initial attack capability because they have to be activated and deploy and that takes time; active duty and reserve military units have no initial attack capability. The US Economy act of 1932 precludes the use of military forces until all commercial capability is engaged.

In Colorado, the only significant wildfire initial attack capability comes from local fire protection districts and given their inability to keep up with the fire threat over the last few years, I’d say the problem is inadequate equipment and too few trained firefighters. If Colorado had been able to put more firefighters and equipment on scene for initial attacks, we would have made out a whole lot better.

I want more for our district because I don’t see anything else that is going to make a significant difference tomorrow, next year, or the year after that.

10 Oct 2013 16:05 #237 by FNP

WindPeak wrote:
And from the Wildfire Task Force Final Report. Fees are coming which will benefit the fire districts.
http://www.dora.state.co.us/taskforce/D ... NDICES.pdf
Given the guiding principle that homeowners in the WUI should share in the risk of living in
wildfire-prone areas and should therefore shoulder much of the associated costs, the Task
Force recommends a fee be assessed on those who live in the WUI. The wildfire risk rating
could be used to identify homeowners who would be charged. Properties with higher risk
scores could be assessed a higher flat fee than those with lower risk scores. The funds would
be collected at the state level and distributed to local governments to help offset the costs of
mitigation in the WUI.
Fee-based programs are not untested. California recently enacted legislation that requires rural
residents to pay an annual $150 fire-fighting fee. The funds are used for prevention and
protection services. Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington also have fee requirements in
place. Some assessments date back decades to years when private timber companies first
taxed themselves to pay for fire protection.

Several methods for assessing the property fee exist, including:

• Funds could be raised through a graduated mill levy assessment on properties in the
WUI. The mill levy would vary based on the severity of the hazard rating. A variation of
this theme is to apply the mill levy state-wide, but properties scoring a 0 risk level would
have no additional assessment. This would require local TABOR elections for the mill
levy increase.

• Funds could also be raised through a flat fee on any property in the WUI.

• As part of the process, homeowners might qualify for a rebate or reduction of the fee if
they perform proper mitigation on their property and reduce their risk score.

Wind Peak …. Your words

“Other fixes on the horizon have to do with the Colorado Wildfire Task Force Recommendations and the fee they want to charge people living in the mountains. As of now it is recommending that the fee go to the fire districts.”

What I do see from the report says that fees, if approved, will go to local governments, not fire districts, to offset mitigation costs …

Something would have to change if any of these funds as proposed end up in our district directly supporting our fire department. The task force recommendations aren’t the best answer. Only 30% of the forests in Colorado are on private land. Most of our recent big fires, Black Forest excepted, started on public lands; weren’t contained by an initial attack and then spread from there as big fires.

I don’t support the task force recommendation as a first choice because it does not directly address the district’s firefighting capability. I’d rather see our taxes go directly to our fire district. Then we could discuss mitigation strategies for the district.

10 Oct 2013 21:31 #238 by Venturer
Replied by Venturer on topic Vote no on 4A
FNP thank you for your posts. Did you not see the part in the Report about fee based programs that have been used in other states that go directly to fire fighting. Isn't ECFD a fire district?

And do you figure that somehow you don't get any of the funds if it were to go to local goverment? Where do you think your funding comes from?

You dismiss the Wildfire Task Force as if it isn't going to happen. Guess what? It is going to happen whether taxpayers like it or not. And the fire districts reap the benefits. Duh!

And your point about public lands? Just how much public land is in ECFD? Not much. More so in LNFF and Platte Canyon but then much of it is USFS and they have their own fire fighters on call 24/7. Do you need for me to give you a link to the USFS f.f. throughout Colorado. And while you might assist LNFF, PCFD or others they have their own fire departments. So don't give me your sorry tale of how you need shiny new trucks to do your job.

I suggest you go back and read all of the Report again.

Stop trying to take from taxpayers what you don't need for your own greed. Vote NO on 4A.

From the report:

Fee-based programs are not untested. California recently enacted legislation that requires rural
residents to pay an annual $150 fire-fighting fee. The funds are used for prevention and
protection services. Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington also have fee requirements in
place. Some assessments date back decades to years when private timber companies first
taxed themselves to pay for fire protection.

FNP wrote:
Wind Peak …. Your words

“Other fixes on the horizon have to do with the Colorado Wildfire Task Force Recommendations and the fee they want to charge people living in the mountains. As of now it is recommending that the fee go to the fire districts.”

What I do see from the report says that fees, if approved, will go to local governments, not fire districts, to offset mitigation costs …

Something would have to change if any of these funds as proposed end up in our district directly supporting our fire department. The task force recommendations aren’t the best answer. Only 30% of the forests in Colorado are on private land. Most of our recent big fires, Black Forest excepted, started on public lands; weren’t contained by an initial attack and then spread from there as big fires.

I don’t support the task force recommendation as a first choice because it does not directly address the district’s firefighting capability. I’d rather see our taxes go directly to our fire district. Then we could discuss mitigation strategies for the district.

11 Oct 2013 19:43 #239 by Venturer
You have answered your own question SC. Isn't spending thousands of dollars replacing pumps and engines which would resolve the issues immensely cheaper than spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for shiny new ones?

Either way according to McLaughlin ISO will go up (from the first video) whether they have shiny new vehicles or not.

Science Chic wrote: Given that the trucks needing replaced are already past ISO's criteria for being counted, should they spend tens of thousands of dollars replacing pumps and engines instead of replacing the trucks, how is the department going to find enough money within the next 2 years, as that income has now been determined by the counties and the department told how much they can expect - and it's another 4% decrease. It takes a year for these trucks to be built, even from the time that they are ordered, and they have to be paid for over many years on a lease-purchase. How do you propose they come up with funds to do so?

You are incredibly delusional SC. Where or where in the question before the voters does it show that it is for those specific items only? The wording says in case you can't comprehend it 'the purchase of fire equipment including two fire tankers and one fire engine. It does not say that it is limited to those only. There's your first blank check. Second blank check is the wording 'and for the ongoing operation and maintenance of fire protection services'. That gives them the authority to do whatever they chose under the guise of fire protection services including hiring more union people.

Sometimes I think some of you either can't read or just fell off the turnip truck.

from the 4A ballot question

not to exceed two and one half (2.5) mills to be used for the purchase of fire equipment including two fire tankers and one fire engine, and for the ongoing operation and maintenance of fire protection services;

Science Chic wrote: Even with passing this mill levy, it's still the best return on investment the residents are getting. But this isn't about North Fork or Platte Canyon, this is about Elk Creek. They've cut what they can, and they've analyzed their level of service they can provide with and without the mill levy, in regards to what is happening in real-time with insurance reviews, and have provided you that information. That's not extortion, threats, or emotional hand-wringing, that's justifying why they are asking for what they are, and allowing the voters of the district to decide what service level they wish to have. The mill isn't a "blank check" - it has specifically stated uses and they have to file appropriations that are mandated by law showing how it's spent. This board and Chief have demonstrated fiscal responsibility with their actions, look at the budgets and look at their actions. Call and ask them if you have questions. Come to the board meeting tonight. Go to the Open House and see their facilities. The firefighters, paid and volunteer, have come out in overwhelming support of this board and their chief - there is no in-fighting or internal division. They aren't hiding anything.

11 Oct 2013 20:17 #240 by Venturer
I think the Chief better ask the residents whether they want boundaries eliminated to belong to ECFD in as much as those on Keuhster Rd petitioned out of ECFD and into InterCanyon which is a much better FD w/o all the infighting. Who wants to be part of the sad, pathetic FD that Elk Creek represents.

And frankly with all the bad news ECFD is why should more money be invested in changing dispatch from JEFFCO Sheriff to EFR? Just because EFR has a dispatch doesn't mean the taxpayers of Evergreen want others on their dispatch. JEFFCO Sheriff needs to remain in the loop, mostly to keep ECFD honest and from running off doing whatever they choose.

From SC

ECFPD is facing an immediate problem that can't be solved by bake sales. The mountain area chiefs' efforts to eliminate district boundaries and help folks out who are closer to out-of-district stations and reduce their insurance ratings based on distance to responding stations won't be fixed without serious capital investment and time to change dispatch from Jeffco Sheriff to the center at EFR.

The chief is a flat out liar when he says he is unbiased and not taking a position. His role is to represent the Fire District to the best of his ability. If he was unbiased he wouldn't be standing there presenting any information about the question, much less all the slanted information he presented. Chief McLaughlin looks worse and worse and doesn't help resolve all the conflict that has gone on in the fire district. He just plans on using all the money to hire more union people and force out more of our reliable volunteer firefighters just like in previous years and to do whatever he wants like some egomaniac with a blank check.

Stop the Chief from going berserk, Vote NO on 4A.

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds