Wuhan Virus Update

16 Apr 2020 13:14 #101 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Wuhan Virus Update
The press tries to spin the news to favor Democrats, but even they can't cover up for Speaker Pelosi asking the people of her district to expose themselves to the Wuhan virus.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Apr 2020 13:31 #102 by koobookie
Replied by koobookie on topic Wuhan Virus Update

FredHayek wrote: The press tries to spin the news to favor Democrats, but even they can't cover up for Speaker Pelosi asking the people of her district to expose themselves to the Wuhan virus.

A video from Feb 24? What was Trump telling America on the same day?

“The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!” — Trump in a tweet Feb 24.

16 Apr 2020 14:27 #103 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Wuhan Virus Update
I think that’s the point. They were all saying that and now are all pointing fingers saying it’s “their fault”.

17 Apr 2020 05:57 #104 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Wuhan Virus Update
From Boston25news.com ( TV station in Boston, Mass.)

By: Drew Karedes
Updated: April 15, 2020 - 11:06 PM
BOSTON — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now “actively looking into” results from universal COVID-19 testing at Pine Street Inn homeless shelter.
The broad-scale testing took place at the shelter in Boston’s South End a week and a half ago because of a small cluster of cases there.
Of the 397 people tested, 146 people tested positive. Not a single one had any symptoms.

“It was like a double knockout punch. The number of positives was shocking, but the fact that 100 percent of the positives had no symptoms was equally shocking,” said Dr. Jim O’Connell, president of Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program, which provides medical care at the city’s shelters.

17 Apr 2020 07:16 #105 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Wuhan Virus Update
It's going to be ALONG haul to have an understanding of this virus....2022 Q1 perhaps.....I am old enough to remember the similar scenario in the 80's when AID/HIV was emerging and the factors
were not understood......

17 Apr 2020 07:35 #106 by Pony Soldier
HIV/AIDS was easily avoided. Just don't have unprotected sex. This is MUCH different. AIDS didn't destroy the worldwide economy. I just read about an Israeli study where the guy compared countries that went into full lockdown to those that did nothing and the curves for cases are identical. Did we destroy our futures for nothing? What was the point of "flattening the curve"? Was it to diminish death or just to prolong it so hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed? Either way, sounds as if it didn't work and that we would have had similar numbers if we had done nothing. Sounds like we destroyed our economy for no gain against the virus.

17 Apr 2020 08:53 #107 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Wuhan Virus Update

Pony Soldier wrote: HIV/AIDS was easily avoided. Just don't have unprotected sex. This is MUCH different. AIDS didn't destroy the worldwide economy. I just read about an Israeli study where the guy compared countries that went into full lockdown to those that did nothing and the curves for cases are identical. Did we destroy our futures for nothing? What was the point of "flattening the curve"? Was it to diminish death or just to prolong it so hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed? Either way, sounds as if it didn't work and that we would have had similar numbers if we had done nothing. Sounds like we destroyed our economy for no gain against the virus.

I am hoping it wasn't destroyed, just put into hibernation for a while. It really frustrates me how everything is told through a partisan filter. I wonder if Hillary had won, would the nation have shut down? I think the press would have demanded the nation come together and fight this without locking down the country.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Apr 2020 07:25 #108 by ramage
from statnews.com 4/22/20

More unintended consequences.

Covid-19: Transplants plummet as overwhelmed hospitals focus on the coronavirus

As hospitals and health care workers focus on battling the Covid-19 outbreak, other health procedures — even essential, lifesaving procedures such as transplants — are being put off. Organ donations have plummeted in the wake of the crisis, and those who are in need of donor organs are having to wait even longer than usual. Some, such as pancreas transplants, are indefinitely on hold, while only the most urgent cases for other organs are being considered, until the crisis abates. STAT's Elizabeth Cooney has more.

22 Apr 2020 08:07 #109 by Pony Soldier
If hospitals are being overwhelmed, why are they laying off staff? Seems a bit of a disconnect there...

22 Apr 2020 08:48 #110 by ramage
PS,
There was tremendous overreaction to the virus. By that I mean, all elective surgeries
were cancelled, including ambulatory surgery which does not require a bed, for example knee arthroscopy. This led to surgeons, anesthesiologists, anatomical pathologists, sitting on their hands except for emergencies. ( See above article on Organ Transplants.)
Hospitals furloughed all those personnel who work in the surgical area, think nurses, surgical assistants, housekeeping, etc. Those are just the people affected immediately. We then go to the orthropedic surgeons' office and he lays off his staff. Radiology, as its work load is cut dramatically, lays off staff, and the cascade continues.

Time to create page: 0.579 seconds