Wuhan Virus Update

07 Apr 2020 07:56 #81 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Wuhan Virus Update
The Law of Unintended Consequences rears its ugly head.

What is striking is that many of the emergencies have disappeared. Heart attack and stroke teams, always poised to rush in and save lives, are mostly idle. This is not just at my hospital. My fellow cardiologists have shared with me that their cardiology consultations have shrunk, except those related to Covid-19. In an informal Twitter poll by @angioplastyorg, an online community of cardiologists, almost half of the respondents reported that they are seeing a 40 percent to 60 percent reduction in admissions for heart attacks; about 20 percent reported more than a 60 percent reduction.

And this is not a phenomenon specific to the United States. Investigators from Spain reported a 40 percent reduction in emergency procedures for heart attacks during the last week of March compared with the period just before the pandemic hit.

And it may not just be heart attacks and strokes. Colleagues on Twitter report a decline in many other emergencies, including acute appendicitis and acute gall bladder disease.

The most concerning possible explanation is that people stay home and suffer rather than risk coming to the hospital and getting infected with coronavirus.

NYTimes.com 4/6/20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Apr 2020 08:46 #82 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Wuhan Virus Update
The Coroners report should reflect that factor...sooner or later....I would think... as for me,
"moving on" would be the option I would select....as my Harvard trained PCP said to me once.....
"the furthest U stay away from hospitals,clinics, doctors and drugs,...the BETTER OFF U WILL
BE"......that was over a decade ago....it's my mantra.

07 Apr 2020 09:08 #83 by ramage
Something must be afoot when the liberal press prints articles that agree with me.

bloomberg.com 4/6/20
Michael Burry of ‘The Big Short’ Slams Virus Lockdowns in Tweetstorm
The investor, who also has an M.D., says the economic costs of the pandemic response are too high.

an excerpt:

“Universal stay-at-home is the most devastating economic force in modern history,” Burry wrote in an email to Bloomberg News. “And it is man-made. It very suddenly reverses the gains of underprivileged groups, kills and creates drug addicts, beats and terrorizes women and children in violent now-jobless households, and more. It bleeds deep anguish and suicide.”

Burry, whose utterances are closely watched by the financial community, began tweeting on March 23, describing his handle as the “real personal account of the real weird one from the book and movie, etc.” He said he began speaking out because of how people were suffering from measures taken to contain the pandemic. “Unconscionable,” is how he described job losses in the U.S., which have caused a once-unthinkable 10 million people to apply for unemployment benefits in the past two weeks. He earlier confirmed the authenticity of his tweets in an email interview with BNN Bloomberg.

08 Apr 2020 09:23 #84 by ramage
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) model cited by the White House Coronavirus Task Force lowered its projections for coronavirus deaths in the U.S. by 25 percent from 81,766 to 60,415 early Wednesday morning.

08 Apr 2020 09:36 #85 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Wuhan Virus Update
I was reading somewhere that heart attacks have dropped by significant percentages in areas that have had high virus numbers. Are heart attacks that would have happened otherwise being attributed to the virus?

08 Apr 2020 10:11 #86 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Wuhan Virus Update

ramage wrote: The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) model cited by the White House Coronavirus Task Force lowered its projections for coronavirus deaths in the U.S. by 25 percent from 81,766 to 60,415 early Wednesday morning.

Wow! Fingers crossed that those numbers remain accurate or dip even more.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

08 Apr 2020 20:14 #87 by Pony Soldier

ramage wrote: The Law of Unintended Consequences rears its ugly head.

What is striking is that many of the emergencies have disappeared. Heart attack and stroke teams, always poised to rush in and save lives, are mostly idle. This is not just at my hospital. My fellow cardiologists have shared with me that their cardiology consultations have shrunk, except those related to Covid-19. In an informal Twitter poll by @angioplastyorg, an online community of cardiologists, almost half of the respondents reported that they are seeing a 40 percent to 60 percent reduction in admissions for heart attacks; about 20 percent reported more than a 60 percent reduction.

And this is not a phenomenon specific to the United States. Investigators from Spain reported a 40 percent reduction in emergency procedures for heart attacks during the last week of March compared with the period just before the pandemic hit.

And it may not just be heart attacks and strokes. Colleagues on Twitter report a decline in many other emergencies, including acute appendicitis and acute gall bladder disease.

The most concerning possible explanation is that people stay home and suffer rather than risk coming to the hospital and getting infected with coronavirus.

NYTimes.com 4/6/20

Those heart attacks and strokes have not gone away. They are just being used to try and pad the numbers so the models and projections that were trumpeted won’t look so bad. They killed our economy over something akin to the flu insofar as death rate and total number of deaths. We have never shut down anything more than an occasional school over the flu. This is high order stupidity and Trump just played along. Most of my respect for him has evaporated over this crisis. There are 800,000 heart attack deaths in the US annually or about 2200 a day. Take half of those and stick them in the CV count and it won’t look so bad for the “experts” and “scientists”.

09 Apr 2020 07:19 #88 by homeagain
MY take...if Dr. F says "we have never seen anything like this before"...then 52 card P.U. is
the analogy. We are walking thru a maze of many unknown factors.. a year or year half we will
have wrapped our minds/methods around this(which is MUCH FASTER than HIV/AIDS research/solutions.).... NOW we know/feel what the aids epidemic did....fear,frustration,fighting
to be heard,finding solace in each other,EMPATHY.

09 Apr 2020 08:09 #89 by Pony Soldier
The more I hear out of Fauci, the more I think he’s got an agenda. They are padding the numbers to make it look as bad as he says it is but, even with all of the normal pneumonia deaths being reclassified as Covid deaths, his numbers were ridiculous. Science has failed us in this case. Look at Sweden.

09 Apr 2020 09:05 #90 by homeagain
NO....the failure is from the king....who states he NEVER say the warnings from N. THAT is because it is well documented the king does NOT read his daily briefs, IGNORES information
provided for him and "wings it". WELL NOW, many souls have "wings" and are not on this plane
of existence.....the king's considerable LACK of leadership is FINALLY being understood.

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds