Elon Musk Ends Twitter Takeover Attempt

29 Oct 2022 14:55 #41 by FredHayek
Guess we will find out. You have to think enough political moderates will stay and work out the kinks after a few bumpy months. Surprised to see so many Twitter leftists already abandoning the Bird. They look so intolerant!

Tolerant posters would wait a few weeks to see how Elon transforms the site before walking off in a huff. Musk doesn't want to lose advertisers.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Oct 2022 15:51 #42 by ScienceChic
Musk bought a platform that isn't as popular as other social media platforms, he spent far too much for it, he has no idea how to run a social media company, and he supposedly plans on sacking the employees who know how it was built and how to change it. It needs a purge of all bots and spammers, a monumental undertaking at this point, and all those employees to do moderation. If he doesn't kill it, it's going to seriously struggle and the only part I lament is the valuable sharing of real-time emergency information.

What happens to journalists after Twitter?
"The accessibility and immediacy of Twitter means writers, myself included, can erroneously conflate the majority opinion of Twitter users with the majority opinion of actual society. But, as Pew Research Center has concluded time and time again, a minority of extremely active Twitter users produce the overwhelming majority of all tweets made by U.S. adults."

That quote above could be applied to any online platform throughout the history of the internet. Why this seems to be a surprise to anyone baffles me. Online spaces to chat are not representative of real people nor real life, and trying to conflate them is dumb.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Oct 2022 09:51 #43 by FredHayek
Twitter seems to prove that theory about online social platforms more than most, but Twitter trying to balance both sides makes much more sense than Trump and the Left's alternative echo chambers.

30 Oct 2022 18:34 #44 by Rick

FredHayek wrote: Tolerant posters would wait a few weeks to see how Elon transforms the site before walking off in a huff. Musk doesn't want to lose advertisers.

BINGO!! Butt hurt speculation by people who enjoyed watching accounts get banned. It's amazing to me how free speech has become such a threat so certain people.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

30 Oct 2022 18:40 #45 by Rick

ScienceChic wrote: What happens to journalists after Twitter? [/url]
"The accessibility and immediacy of Twitter means writers, myself included, can erroneously conflate the majority opinion of Twitter users with the majority opinion of actual society. But, as Pew Research Center has concluded time and time again, a minority of extremely active Twitter users produce the overwhelming majority of all tweets made by U.S. adults."

That quote above could be applied to any online platform throughout the history of the internet. Why this seems to be a surprise to anyone baffles me. Online spaces to chat are not representative of real people nor real life, and trying to conflate them is dumb.

You're pointing out what Twitter was pre-Musk. If it was a dumpster fire before he bought it, why not give him a chance to make it better? His intentions are good, so what else would you want from him at this point?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

30 Oct 2022 20:04 #46 by FredHayek
Blue Checks will now have to pay $4.95 a month. Many say they won't pay, but I can see others lining up to buy them.

31 Oct 2022 07:38 #47 by homeagain
In reading several current accounts (articles).....it seems he jumped into the deep end of the pool and is just now realizing dog paddling is not a very efficient method of swimming.... from what i am reading ,some of the
PROACTIVE processes were not thought out and ready to be implemented upon receivership. SC seems to be correct in her assessment of.a learning curve and just how ARDUOUS this undertaking is going to be for the "CHIEF TWIT"....AKA as CEO. CAUSTIC conditions always follow and chaos is it's twin. BEEN THERE ,DONE THAT....MANY TIMES. An old corp. adage...."he came in shit on the carpet and then left."

31 Oct 2022 08:38 #48 by koobookie

Rick wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Tolerant posters would wait a few weeks to see how Elon transforms the site before walking off in a huff. Musk doesn't want to lose advertisers.

BINGO!! Butt hurt speculation by people who enjoyed watching accounts get banned. It's amazing to me how free speech has become such a threat so certain people.

In the first 12 hours after Musk acquired the site, the use of the n-word increased nearly 500%.

31 Oct 2022 08:39 #49 by Rick
All you experts bloviating about what Elon Musk is capable or not capable of doing is pretty rich. None of you, nor your expert "journalists" have any clue about what he has planned or what he can do with that company. It's his money, his risk, and NOBODY will be forced to use Twitter. You all act like he's trying to rewrite the constitution or something... hilarious.

Maybe he will just decide to delete the company completely and do the world a favor. Maybe just sit back and watch and be thankful someone is dealing with that trash.

George Orwell

31 Oct 2022 08:43 #50 by Rick

koobookie wrote:

Rick wrote:

In the first 12 hours after Musk acquired the site, the use of the n-word increased nearly 500%.

Oh NO!!! Are you saying that there were no bad words being spread on that platform before Musk bought it? Your president made a has a long list racist statements over his 50 years in government, yet you voted for him anyway. Spare me your outrage.

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds