Elon Musk Ends Twitter Takeover Attempt

31 Oct 2022 11:04 #61 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote: I don't think you understand free speech. Everyone gets a voice, even the loathsome ones. Kanye West made some antisemitic statements recently and paid dearly for it, losing a billion dollars in one week.

We want to let the haters expose themselves.

Fred, would you want to give a voice to a pedophile ring? That's free speech. Would you want to give a platform to those people to plot their behavior? What are the limits of free speech, especially on a private platform?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Oct 2022 11:31 #62 by homeagain

FredHayek wrote: I don't think you understand free speech. Everyone gets a voice, even the loathsome ones. Kanye West made some antisemitic statements recently and paid dearly for it, losing a billion dollars in one week.

[/b]

BEING exposed verbally and being exposed in a physically violent way, r two entirely different things. The dude who swung the hammer embraced Q....

31 Oct 2022 12:06 - 31 Oct 2022 12:09 #63 by koobookie
Speaking of loathsome ones:

Late Sunday night, Trump Jr. shared an image on social media of a hammer and a pair of underwear with the words “Got my Paul Pelosi Halloween costume ready.”

But stop and consider what Trump Jr. is mocking here. An elderly man was violently attacked in his own home. He was injured badly enough that he had to undergo surgery. The intruder who attacked him seemed to also be after the speaker of the House. The man alleged of attacking Pelosi had also shared a variety of conspiracy theories – about the 2020 election and Covid-19, among other things – on social media.

The only right thing to do in this situation is a) condemn the act and b) see what can be done to put better safeguards in place in hopes of keeping this from happening again.

Instead, what Trump Jr. did is make light of it.

www.cnn.com/2022/10/31/politics/donald-t...-reaction/index.html

31 Oct 2022 12:37 #64 by FredHayek

homeagain wrote:

[/b]

BEING exposed verbally and being exposed in a physically violent way, r two entirely different things. The dude who swung the hammer embraced Q....

He also lived in a naked commune in Berkeley. Let's call him a confused man with some bizarre beliefs from both sides of the political aisle.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

31 Oct 2022 12:39 #65 by FredHayek

koobookie wrote:

Fred, would you want to give a voice to a pedophile ring? That's free speech. Would you want to give a platform to those people to plot their behavior? What are the limits of free speech, especially on a private platform?

Great question and the Supreme Court continually makes decisions about levels of free speech.

But I usually find the people who want to limit free speech are the bad guys, the fascists.

31 Oct 2022 12:51 #66 by koobookie
Can I interpret your statement to say that I'm a bad guy because I don't want pedophiles given a voice on social media? What about skinheads? Should they be able to post their hate speech on twitter? What about the proud boys? What are the limits of free speech?

How about a different question - should Alex Jones be able to spew his hateful rhetoric over the airwaves?

31 Oct 2022 12:56 #67 by homeagain
The parental male model would have MADE/EXECUTED the same lame post...like father, like son.

31 Oct 2022 13:02 #68 by FredHayek

koobookie wrote: Can I interpret your statement to say that I'm a bad guy because I don't want pedophiles given a voice on social media? What about skinheads? Should they be able to post their hate speech on twitter? What about the proud boys? What are the limits of free speech?

How about a different question - should Alex Jones be able to spew his hateful rhetoric over the airwaves?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes!

I can't believe you want to muzzle free speech. Wow. Did you miss civics class?

Sadly, so many in the Left want to clamp down on free speech. And now government leftists are getting into the act, threatening private corporations with consequences if they don't restrict conservatives on their platforms. Very fascist indeed! One party rule, endorsed by government bureaucrats.

31 Oct 2022 13:15 #69 by homeagain
And there u have it......the complete and totally destruction of a society. There WAS a time u could form an
opinion,present it in a cohesive and considerate way and have a CIVIL conversation...not anymore, TRUMP'S trash talk took THAT to a level of despicable dialogue. AND WE LET HIM,IN FACT IT WAS ENCOURAGED AND APPLAUDED. Look where that got us....fubared and frustrated. Good job,guys.

31 Oct 2022 13:55 #70 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote: I can't believe you want to muzzle free speech. Wow. Did you miss civics class?

Sadly, so many in the Left want to clamp down on free speech. And now government leftists are getting into the act, threatening private corporations with consequences if they don't restrict conservatives on their platforms. Very fascist indeed! One party rule, endorsed by government bureaucrats.

There are limits to free speech, Fred. Just ask Alex Jones.

And please explain to me what private corporations are being threatened by the government if they don't restrict conservative speech. Show me in detail.

One more thing - if you, or anyone else on this board, want actual discussion, using the term "leftist" is a non-starter. It tells me that you really don't want a discussion, that what you want is to insult me and everyone that is liberal.

So there you have it, Fred. Three things for you to respond to.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds