ABORTION ON DEMAND - A NEW TWIST

22 Apr 2024 13:51 #91 by koobookie
Hey look, Fred. Here's an article with all the European nation abortion policies. Amazingly, it's not 15 weeks everywhere. Whodathunkit?

www.reuters.com/world/europe/abortion-laws-europe-2024-04-15/

Here's some graphs & charts, since I know you like pretty pictures.

www.politico.eu/article/abortion-chart-w...-v-wade-legislation/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Apr 2024 14:13 #92 by FredHayek
Different abortion laws in different nations. Different abortion laws in different states. Seems doable.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Apr 2024 14:24 #93 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote: Different abortion laws in different nations. Different abortion laws in different states. Seems doable.

Each country has their own law, true. I don't think they have different abortion laws in separate territories within each country.

States are part of one country. Shouldn't we have a uniform law throughout the United States?

Let me go at it from another direction, Fred. I'm sure you've heard of this, but then, given your propensity for right wing talking points, you might not.

Why leave it to every state? Why not have different abortion laws in each county? But then, why stop there? Why not have different abortion laws in each city & town? But then, why not have different abortion laws in each neighborhood? Why stop there? Maybe we should have different abortion laws for each citizen. Perhaps each citizen could make up their own f*cking mind about whether or not abortion is right for them, and leave neanderthal right wing politicians and voters out of the decision making process that is the right of individual women.

See how that line of "reasoning" works?

You boys have no idea what is coming for you in November.

22 Apr 2024 21:03 #94 by FredHayek
The Supreme Court and me agree on leaving it up to states. The House and Senate have had fifty years to make abortion rights codified at the federal level and never bothered to finish the job.

Why so upset? Since Roe was overturned, Democrats have been winning even in deep red states like Kansas, electing pro-abortion rights candidates and changing laws to guarantee abortion rights. Some states have even added
abortion rights to their constitution like France.

It is like losing the battle but winning the war.

23 Apr 2024 08:20 #95 by koobookie
It. Was. A. Right.

It was a right, Fred. For half a century, it was a right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. We don't codify rights, Fred. Do you think we need to codify the right to free speech?

Now it is no longer a right. Let me reiterate - a right, which was recognized as being protected by our nation's U.S. Constitution, has been taken away. That should scare the $hit out of you, Fred, especially as a libertarian. If the right wing Supreme Court, packed by Dotard Donny, can take away a right from women, then they can take away pretty much any right from you and "leave it up to the states."

Just think, your first amendment right to free speech would vary from state to state. What you can say in Alabama is different than what you can say in Oregon. Wow.

What an absolutely moronic suggestion. DUH. This alone tells me that you listen to, and read, right wing fascist christian nationalist web sites and programs. It's a standard talking point. Geeez. I'm gonna remember that when you next accuse me of living in a "lefty news bubble."

23 Apr 2024 10:56 - 23 Apr 2024 11:03 #96 by FredHayek
Abortion wasn't a right for 150 years.

Article in the Denver Post today. The legislature is trying to change the Colorado Constitution that still bans same sex marriage despite homosexuals having been married in Colorado for decades.

Just like Colorado legalizing Marijuana despite it still being illegal at the federal level.

23 Apr 2024 11:15 #97 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote: Abortion wasn't a right for 150 years.

Am I to assume that taking away rights is acceptable to you? Because that's what it sounds like.

23 Apr 2024 16:09 #98 by FredHayek

koobookie wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Abortion wasn't a right for 150 years.

Am I to assume that taking away rights is acceptable to you? Because that's what it sounds like.

Don't assume that is my position.

My position is 20 weeks is a reasonable restriction on abortion rights. National polling agrees with me. I am not extreme right who wants abortion banned. I am not extreme left who thinks the right to abortion extends to the delivery date.

Plan B is a great invention and most abortions are done with pharmaceuticals in a reasonable time.

What is your position on abortion rights?

23 Apr 2024 16:22 #99 by koobookie
and yet you are arguing for each state to make up their own right, instead of a uniform constitutional right for the entire country. So hey, let's make each state determine their own interpretation of the Bill of Rights. Sound good to you?

Make no mistake, abortion will be codified into a national law. It might even be placed into the Constitution via amendment.

23 Apr 2024 17:55 #100 by FredHayek
Rights are not absolute and states have made their own restrictions on the Bill of Rights.

Sometimes the Supreme Court overturns them, sometimes they don't.

A national codification of abortion rights might not go your way. Might get my 20 week compromise, might get something more restrictive.

For example years ago, Colorado passed term limits for politicians. The Supreme Court told Colorado they could do this for in state politicians like governor, but not the US House and Senate. That required an amendment to the US Constitution.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds