Todays fires

22 Apr 2011 12:24 #51 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Todays fires
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10327 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=47&t=10327<!-- l -->

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Apr 2011 12:28 #52 by kresspin
Replied by kresspin on topic Todays fires
Personally, I hate the term "vegetation fire" as the title of MOST of the posts. They all blend together. I wish you would be more descriptive. JMO. There's a difference between duff, grass, brush and trees on fire.

Instead of relying on someone regurgitating and sanitizing the scanner, you can listen online yourself at any time on the link that 285bound provided on their Facebook page.

It started out as a grass fire, from the news reports and spread to the trees. I think that's where the "grass fire" reference came up.

22 Apr 2011 12:37 #53 by jf1acai

There's a difference between duff, grass, brush and trees on fire.

Yes, there certainly is. And many fires here include a combination of all of them.

Very frequently the term used in the original tone-out is incorrect. It may be well into the incident before a size up is given which includes the proper information, and in many cases it is never aired on the scanner.

The term 'vegetation fire' is always correct, any other term used would frequently be wrong.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

22 Apr 2011 12:48 #54 by kresspin
Replied by kresspin on topic Todays fires
You are no more smarter than the fire department. If they "tone out" incorrectly, they correct it. You can too.

You might as well just generically call them all "fire" and be done with it, if you want to be always correct from the get go.

P.S. Thanks to Becky for posting the links to the live online scanner feeds last October. Good thinking!

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4610 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4610<!-- l -->

22 Apr 2011 13:12 #55 by jf1acai
The fire department does not tone out incidents, that is done by dispatch based upon the information received from the RP (Reporting Party).

We have more than enough information to try to keep correct, without bothering to try to identify a vegetation fire as a grass, duff, Douglas Fir, Lodgepole Pine, Juniper, and scrub oak fire. If we get the information, we post it in the thread.

22 Apr 2011 13:15 #56 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic Todays fires

jf1acai wrote: Regarding 'only a grass fire' - here is a great video - http://www.myfirevideos.net/Default.aspx?VideoID=484

That is one reason we always use the term 'vegetation fire' in scanner posts.

Thank you! I hope this is a wake-up call for some. Jeez, even my 14yo daughter is smart enough to know how deadly a "grass" fire can be when there are huge trees around. :bash

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

22 Apr 2011 13:19 #57 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Todays fires
I would like to take this opportunity, with all the fire danger looking worrisome for the year, to remind you to tell your friends and family to sign up for the email alert system. we have had many people tell us they would not have known there was a fire without it.

Stay safe.

File Attachment:

http://www.285bound.com/Forums/email_sub.php

Evergreenbound.com has one as well.

22 Apr 2011 13:33 #58 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Todays fires
http://jeffcosheriff1.blogspot.com/2011 ... pdate.html

Fire is now 50% contained. We expect 100% containment at 8:00 p.m. tonight. No additional resources are needed.

22 Apr 2011 13:59 #59 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Todays fires
SG....I understand your frustration.
One always hopes that neighbors will lend a helping hand to other neighbors in a time of need.
I would like to think that your immediate neighbors did step up to help and if not, they possibly had good reason.
I have lived through more than a few of these close calls. I have lived with my pictures sitting in my car. My pets loaded up while I also reach out to my immediate neighbors.
Maybe we could make helping the folks on each side of us out a rule of thumb in a crisis. I know that is the situation in DCVR.
As for your extended friends coming to help.....I respectfully disagree.
Firefighters need clear roads and less people to deal with not more in a crisis such as this.
It is best for folks to just stay away so everyone can do their job and you can get safely out.
I thought of you and Norm Jr and Sr as well as several of my customers often yesterday as I listened from so far away. I was so relieved to hear that all was well.
Stay safe hon and don't let your anger and frustration get the best of you. Try to understand that everyone deals with an emergency in a bit different way.
I can tell you this.....I wish you were my neighbor.... :)

22 Apr 2011 14:10 #60 by Martin Ent Inc
Replied by Martin Ent Inc on topic Todays fires
Norm is fine. Jr well he has never been 100%,,, according to Sr. :lol:

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds