It's time for a traffic rant.

05 Dec 2011 09:48 #31 by The Viking

Becky wrote:

It was on a turn, I had no choice.

OK....explain it.

When you take your basic driving test, you are required to maintain the same lane you turned from through the turn.

Exactly! And I have NEVER seen anyone in the fast lane who couldn't use that remarkable invention called a BLINKER when no one would let them move over. And CG what do you mean that it was on a turn so you had no choice? How did you get in the fast lane?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Dec 2011 09:48 #32 by Nobody that matters
Some people need to go fast. I don't know why, and it's not my place to tell them 'no'. I just get out of their way. I never notice if they're the ones spun out in the ditch - I really don't care. Speed on, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Some people need to go really slow. They are consumed by fear, and need lots of room to manuver or you'll startle them and send them spinning in a ditch. Give them room, and don't cut in front of them. Let them wallow in their panic. If you're one of these drivers, feel free to run your hazard lights while you drive - it lets the rest of us know you're nearly paralyzed helpless with fear and to avoid you.

Some people get that the secret to getting everyone through the snow and safely to their destination is similar speeds, no sudden moves, turn signal use, limited braking, and lots of room between vehicles. Relax - you'll react better in emergencies. It'll take a little longer to get where you're going - why fight it? If it's important enough to go out in the snow for, it's important enough to be a little late but arrive safe and sound.

The secret is to avoid extremes - don't go too fast, don't go too slow. Don't make sudden lane changes, but don't take three miles to change lanes either. Don't brake hard, and don't ride the brake pedal just to let the people behind you know that someday, you might slow down.

Those people getting and giving the headlight flashes, horn honks, and fingers are in the extremes. It means you're doing it wrong. I haven't had any of that happen to me, nor felt the need to do it to anyone else in years.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

05 Dec 2011 09:50 #33 by chickaree
In all my years of driving in Colorado I have been in three accidents ALL of them were caused by fools driving too fast and too aggressively in icy conditions. If you are driving significantly faster than the traffic around you chances are you are driving too fast. If someone is in the passing lane passing slower traffic but going slower than you want to go, riding their bumper and flashing your lights is not contributing to the overall safety of everyone else on the road. People seem to feel they own the road and can go as fast and drive as recklessly as they wish. If it were only their lives they were risking I'd agree, but your lack of responsibility risks MY life, my childrens lives and my grandchildrens lives. Ifyou want to be free to drive 60 MPH no matter what do us all a favor and move to Florida wgere ice is not an issue.

05 Dec 2011 09:50 #34 by Martin Ent Inc
I try to go as fat as I can, fishtail into turns and try to have as much fun as I can.

http://www.westword.com/slideshow/our-g ... do-219997/

Everyone should try it.

05 Dec 2011 09:52 #35 by chickaree

The Viking wrote:

Becky wrote:

It was on a turn, I had no choice.

OK....explain it.

When you take your basic driving test, you are required to maintain the same lane you turned from through the turn.

Exactly! And I have NEVER seen anyone in the fast lane who couldn't use that remarkable invention called a BLINKER when no one would let them move over. And CG what do you mean that it was on a turn so you had no choice? How did you get in the fast lane?

You've never seen traffic refuse to let someone merge? Wow. You must not get out much. I see it frequently.

05 Dec 2011 09:54 #36 by Nobody that matters

Martin Ent Inc wrote: I try to go as fat as I can, fishtail into turns and try to have as much fun as I can.

Everyone should try it.

If everyone would try it, they'd be more familiar with their vehicle and there would far less people in the ditches.

:biggrin:

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

05 Dec 2011 09:55 #37 by The Viking

chickaree wrote: In all my years of driving in Colorado I have been in three accidents ALL of them were caused by fools driving too fast and too aggressively in icy conditions. If you are driving significantly faster than the traffic around you chances are you are driving too fast. If someone is in the passing lane passing slower traffic but going slower than you want to go, riding their bumper and flashing your lights is not contributing to the overall safety of everyone else on the road. People seem to feel they own the road and can go as fast and drive as recklessly as they wish. If it were only their lives they were risking I'd agree, but your lack of responsibility risks MY life, my childrens lives and my grandchildrens lives. Ifyou want to be free to drive 60 MPH no matter what do us all a favor and move to Florida wgere ice is not an issue.

I have driven in SD and Colorado winters for over 30 years and have never had one accident. The closest I have even come is trying to slam on bakes for people in the WRONG lane and have to swerve around them.

05 Dec 2011 09:56 #38 by Martin Ent Inc
It's fun.

And chickee must not have been to Fl cause they can't drive there at all, 40 to100 car pileups are the Norm on I-4.

05 Dec 2011 09:56 #39 by The Viking

Nobody that matters wrote:

Martin Ent Inc wrote: I try to go as fat as I can, fishtail into turns and try to have as much fun as I can.

Everyone should try it.

If everyone would try it, they'd be more familiar with their vehicle and there would far less people in the ditches.

:biggrin:

We use to do that back in SD all the time but I have always wanted to go to this in Georgetown.

05 Dec 2011 09:57 #40 by Martin Ent Inc
Oh yeah they offer an Ice Driving class, don't remember how much.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds