It's time for a traffic rant.

04 Dec 2011 18:02 #1 by CinnamonGirl
It's time for a traffic rant. was created by CinnamonGirl
So, ice all over and I am in the fast lane. I do not want to be in that lane but I can't get in the right lane because all the 'fast' drivers are passing on the right and just won't let me move over and they all are honking at me. I couldn't get over. I don't know why fast drivers always get the right of way and dictate how we all drive.

Okay off my soap box.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Dec 2011 19:16 #2 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic It's time for a traffic rant.
when the roads are icy I stay out of the fast lane to begin with that way I won't get hung out there.

04 Dec 2011 20:12 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic It's time for a traffic rant.

gmule wrote: when the roads are icy I stay out of the fast lane to begin with that way I won't get hung out there.

It was on a turn, I had no choice. All I am saying is don't bitch at the slow drivers if you won't even let them over.

04 Dec 2011 21:44 #4 by otisptoadwater
For me when the roads are slick and/or snow packed, fast and slow are subjective terms. It seems to me that more often than not the people in front of me want to go 5 MPH and the people behind me want to go 500 MPH. Rather than gesticulate, flash my high beams, and honk at the slow drivers I try to take a deep breath and give them room to maneuver. Same thing for the people who think 4WD means they will be able to stop on a dime on ice and snow, if you want to get around me I'll do my best to get out of your way. I'd rather get to my destination in one piece even if I end up being a few minutes late.

I understand that people get frustrated in traffic but please stop and think before acting the fool; what is your rush? Unless you are on the way to the ER and pumping out your last pint of blood do you really need to be in that much of a hurry? Plan for the predicted conditions and get an early start based on the worst possible case (if you can get away with it don't drive at all when the weather is bad - especially if you can get out of going to work or telecommuting instead). For most of us not driving to work is not an option, myself included, so prior planning prevents piss poor performance

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

04 Dec 2011 22:09 #5 by Local_Historian
Would that prior planning always worked. Took me 3 HOURS to get to work last Thursday - not because of my poor planning, since I left home over an hour early. People who are afraid of the snow and ice should just stay home. Seriously.

04 Dec 2011 22:21 #6 by otisptoadwater

Local_Historian wrote: Would that prior planning always worked. Took me 3 HOURS to get to work last Thursday - not because of my poor planning, since I left home over an hour early. People who are afraid of the snow and ice should just stay home. Seriously.

Is it wrong to find some humor and irony in passing an inverted brand new SUV with Texas, California, or Arizona plates? Even more so, I have seen new Mustangs and Cameros in the ditch with just a little ice on the ground - not the fault of the car. I mean no one any harm, in fact if I have a message it would be to learn how to drive in adverse conditions and then actually compete with the public in practice.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

04 Dec 2011 23:10 #7 by chickaree
Slow down, drive courteously, trust that other drivers know the limitations of their skills and vehicles and don't try to press them beyond those. You can't expect to drive 60 MPH on icy roads. If you failed to plan, that is not the fault of other drivers. It is reasonable for most drivers to elect to drive in the clearest lane. Sometimes that is going to be the left lane. Get over it.

05 Dec 2011 00:48 #8 by AlpineMike
I have little trust in other drivers regardless of road conditions.
I believe some drivers feel they must move too fast in poor driving conditions to prove they are more experienced behind the wheel. This mentality proves dangerous.
Visibility is very important when it comes to winter (or any) driving. If a driver is moving slow...poor visibility and/or fear may be the cause. Poor vehicle condition may be a factor as well. Poor tire condition can influence any driver.
I only wish extremely slow drivers could give room for more confident drivers to pass in bad driving conditions.
I had visibility issues tonight in "blizzard" conditions. I was fine until a bunch of traffic decided they could not safely reach the speed needed to pass. I'm too slow, yet too fast to pass.
I was driving 45 mph in low visibility "blizzard" conditions on 285. Some 285 drivers want to pass me at speeds near 50 mph in such "blizzard" conditions. They would slow down after passing and drive with caution. Now I'm driving 30 mph with a vehicle in front that passed with speeds around 50 mph to pass. What is that all about?
If you feel passing is dangerous....it may be dangerous. Trust your instincts and follow your first thought. One ego desire can create a disaster in such driving conditions.
Road rage does not mix well with any driving condition, less "blizzard" conditions at night. Please People Drive SAFE!!!

05 Dec 2011 07:32 #9 by 2wlady
I get in the left lane to pass someone going about 25 in a 55 zone sometimes. Give them plenty of room. Slowly try to pass when some nut comes up on the right, takes my safety zone and zips in front of me. Happened last night.

When I know my safe speed, I know when I can pass. I don't want to get stuck behind someone creeping up the mountain. I understand other people don't want to either.

On the other hand, why can't these folks realize you are passing and a few more seconds' wait on their part isn't going to delay them from their destination?

05 Dec 2011 08:33 #10 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic It's time for a traffic rant.

Local_Historian wrote: Would that prior planning always worked. Took me 3 HOURS to get to work last Thursday - not because of my poor planning, since I left home over an hour early. People who are afraid of the snow and ice should just stay home. Seriously.

Afraid? So subjective. Everyone has a choice of how fast to go and some of the fast drivers are downright aggressive. If you want to drive faster than the speed limit or above what conditions call for do it, but don't force the world to go your speed by driving behind their bumper.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds