Lower North Fork Fire Residents ask: Why no state help?

25 Oct 2012 16:53 #21 by LNFFInfo
The families of the Lower North Fork Fire (the fire resulting from an escaped prescribed burn by the Colorado State Forest Service in March which burned 4300 acres, 23 homes and killed 3 innocent people) are asking for our wonderful community to attend a very important meeting;

Conifer High School on Monday Oct. 29, 6:30-8:30

The families have been asked so many times by the community, "What's going on and how can we help?" The LNFF survivors feel that it is important that the community hear the answers to these questions directly from them. They want the opportunity to tell you, our neighbors, firsthand what help they are getting, from whom, how they could still use help, and information about the Governor's $1.3 million for forest recovery and reclamation.

The residents conducted their own detailed investigation into this fire using information from public record. You will hear a homeowner's presentation with disturbing factual details surrounding the LNFF from the start of the burn to the escape, the failure of the emergency notification system (911), and how the State has proceeded these past 7 months. This investigation report was presented to the LNFF Commission and no one has disputed its accuracy.

A very short window of time exists to influence pending legislation, which at this time continues the state's undisciplined prescribed burn policy; your help is sorely needed to make your mountain communities safer.

Our communities' kindness and generosity have sustained these families; they continue to need your help in preventing this from ever happening to you or your loved ones.…please show up for them!

Please see [url=http://www.lnff.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.lnff.info[/url], the true story of the LNFF!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Oct 2012 09:27 #22 by ScienceChic
I am hoping to attend, have to find a babysitter for the munchkins still...

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Oct 2012 08:13 #23 by LNFFInfo
Thanks so much to YOU! Our amazing Mountain Neighbors who attended the meeting last night at Conifer High School.

We are truly humbled by your support.

For those that could not attend, the presentation can be found here: http://lnff.info/homeowners-presentatio ... community/

30 Oct 2012 11:06 #24 by LNFFInfo
We now know that the LNFF was the 9th prescribed fire set in Lower North Fork in last 2 years that was part of an "Experiment"... Of the previous 8 fires set before our Fatal Fire 3/26/2012, 5 of those Escaped. With this kind of history how could they have set this fire?

“Operations conducted to evaluate fire behavior under weather conditions and in masticated and untreated fuels “ - Dan Beveridge (CSFS, FEMO)

Full Documentation here: http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2 ... ttachG.pdf

[imgleft:1vvnnwu6] pbs.twimg.com/media/A6eDwOLCQAAQj6B.jpg:large [/imgleft:1vvnnwu6]

30 Oct 2012 20:27 #25 by akilina
We have been down the mountain working on the vote for the election so couldn't be present to hear the presentation in person.

Thank you for the slidshow presentation. Thank you for spending time keeping us aware of the situation.

And thank you for the recommendations. As I was reading I was following but didn't know what you had in mind where we could help. Now I understand your plan and will follow up.

A couple of questions about your recommendations on slide 19.

Dir of P.S to identify mandatory critical activities. I am not clear if you are asking for general i.d. of mandatory critical activities that apply to all prescribed burns or i.d. of mandatory critical activities that apply to each specific burn or both?

Who would do the formal evaluation of alternative mitigation measures? Dir of P.S?

I am inclined to ask for required specific mitigation measures for any risk regardless of rating as I am not as trusting of any rating for burns. Any burn should require specific mitigation measures. But please, I am sure this has been discussed and I would like to learn more.

Thanks.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

31 Oct 2012 06:17 #26 by MyMountainTown
The video of the meeting is now available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWX4uL6rWQs
There are also some additional documents that will be loaded shortly.

[youtube:kjpm95v3]
[/youtube:kjpm95v3]
This is a video of the Public Information Presentation by the Kuehster Road Homeowners on the Lower North Fork Fire
October 29, 2012
~146 in attendance

Sam Lucas introduces Representative Cheri Gerou
@0:30 Cheri Gerou opening comments
@2:55 Sam Lucas
@9:00 Tom Scanlan - Intro & PowerPoint presentation
@21:00 previous prescribed burns in Lower North Fork area and outcomes
@32:53 Reaction Day of Escape
@37:00 What Caused This Tragedy
@41:31 Financial Impacts Beyond Insurance
@44:23 Commission Results - pending legislation *** explanations follow
Bill 6 - Extend Wildfire Mitigation Financial Incentives
Bill 7 - All-Hazards Resource Mobilization & Reimbursement
Bill 8 - Increase Colorado Immunity Act for Injury (killed in committee)
Bill 2 - Colorado Prescribed Burn Act (@47:20)
@50:00 - after Sept 1, 2013 must have Certified Burn Boss, until then, trainee acceptable
@52:00 "we encourage the evaluation of other means of mitigating fires
@53min cost of fire, right before that details of Bill 2 CO Prescribed Burn Act
$78,000 cost of doing prescribed burn.
$6.5 million to battle the fire
$16 million estimated to clean up properties
@54:37 Homeowners Recommendations for Prescribed Fire Controls
@1:00:00 What's Happened since the Wildfire (video of Hickenlooper saying state should take responsibility)
@1:02:00 update on $1.3M - videos with Hickenlooper saying monetary assistance in real-time. 3 months to submit claims, now their restitution lumped in with insurance litigation
@1:02:50 How You Can Help Protect Yourselves and Help Us
@1:05:00 Beth Semptimphelter
@1:07:45 Jack, resident of Kuehster Rd - info on fire dispatch, Cheri Gerou added a few comments
@1:09:00 Commissioner Don Rosier - 911 System & Sheriff update

@1:17:00 Tom Scanlan wrap-up & Opening Up For Questions
Do you plan to meet with the governor?
Reiteration that the presentation is on their site and 285Bound, and to follow them on their other social media sites to stay up-to-date and please let more people know what's going on
1:19:00 Representative of Student body - how can students help?
1:22:00 How was commission chosen? Cheri Gerou answered
1:23:35 Evergreen fire station burn building opposition wants to partner/help
1:25:30 Suggestion to organize an ongoing test of the 911 system
1:26:00 Do we have a list of the names of everyone on the commission?
1:27:00 Initial cost of burn versus other estimated cost of mitigating that was twice the cost. Expanded explanation of use for masticated fuels.
1:28:35 Is there a website where the public can look for scheduled location and date of prescribed burns? No. Cheri Gerou will look into
1:30:30 Comment to get all the facts about Evergreen burn building before taking sides
1:31:00 Beth Semptimphelter commented about change that local fire dept chief has final say
1:32:30 Bruce Ellis provided website and social media site info

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

31 Oct 2012 07:39 #27 by jf1acai
Thanks to 285Bound for providing this information!

:thumbsup: :like:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

31 Oct 2012 08:25 #28 by Sunshine Girl

jf1acai wrote: Thanks to 285Bound for providing this information!

:thumbsup: :like:

:yeahthat:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

01 Nov 2012 12:53 #29 by ScienceChic
Want to help? Please fill out these cards and mail them back to each individual whose name and address is listed below. If they get inundated with these, they know that we are behind our neighbors 100% and we won't let them bury this issue until they've received the support they deserve. There are 3 pieces of legislation that will be addressed when Congress comes back into session in January that will affect us all, so we have a small window of opportunity to make a difference, and they need to know that we are watching and waiting.

There was also a petition going around at the meeting - will you guys be available anywhere that more people can sign it, for example outside King Soopers, or at the Christmas in Conifer events? If not, can I grab a couple of those clipboards and put them at the 285Bound booth (you are more than welcome to hang out with me!!!)? :thumbsup:

Something that was brought up at the meeting that you may not realize yet: several homeowners in our community have had their insurance policies come up for renewal and were told that they will not be insured unless they clear at least 250 ft of defensible space around their homes - THIS WILL AFFECT ALL OF YOU AT SOME POINT! Because of this fire, and the litigation that is pending, and the state's unwillingness to do the right thing, it's going to continue to hurt those who live in the mountains. It's $130 per tree times however many trees you have around your home within 250' - think about that...

Their story could easily become your story - fires happen all the time, and prescribed burns are big business - they do not intend to put a stop to them. And if they're going to shirk their responsibility with this one, you can bet they will with the next one too, unless we keep holding their feet to the fire.

Please help. Thank you!

File Attachment:

To:
The Honorable Jared Polis
501 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

File Attachment:

To:
The Honorable Mark Udall
Hart Senate Office Building, Suite SH328
Washington, DC 20510

File Attachment:

To:
Commission for the Lower North Fork Fire
State of Colorado
136 State Capitol
Denver, CO 80203-1792

File Attachment:

To:
Governor John Hickenlooper
State of Colorado
136 State Capitol
Denver, CO 80203-1792

File Attachment:

To:
Senator Bill Cadman
PO Box 76588
Colorado Springs, CO 80970

File Attachment:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Nov 2012 10:55 #30 by LNFFInfo
There is now an Online Petition that you can Sign.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/lnff/

Many Thanks to all of our fantastic neighbors!

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds