Lower North Fork Fire Residents ask: Why no state help?

26 Mar 2013 01:29 #61 by ScienceChic
Lower North Fork fire victims build case against Colorado
Residents claim pattern of negligence in prescribed burns
Posted: 03/26/2013

Scott Appel tours the site of his home that was destroyed in the Lower North Fork fire last year, in unincorporated Jefferson County earlier this month. Appel's wife, Ann, left, is one of three people who died in the fire that destroyed 27 homes. Appel is among nearly 100 people who have made claims for damages against the state. (Craig F. Walker, The Denver Post)

Read more: Lower North Fork fire victims build case against Colorado - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22870 ... z2Od1NM7Dr
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Mar 2013 12:06 #62 by FOS
Prayers to all the families.....especially today.

26 Mar 2013 12:20 #63 by CinnamonGirl

26 Mar 2013 19:05 #64 by LNFFInfo
Open letter responding to Colorado AG John Suthers lies that it is the actions of victims attorneys that are delaying their claims - Re-post/Copy at will. And thank you to our wonderful neighbors for their support and especially those that joined us at the Capitol today.
http://www.facebook.com/LowerNorthForkFire
The AG continues to try and defend his actions by perpetuating the lie that it is the actions of our attorneys that is causing this delay, as if he and his staff have no choice. We call BS. Here are the facts and we invite you to check them:

May 2012 - The Governor standing next to AG Suthers promises "Real Time Claim Resolution" - A process that does not involve the courts, only the victims and the state.

June 2012 - 2 bills are signed making this law (At this time the homeowners do not expect to be in court and few have hired an attorney - trusting the States promises.)

July 2012 - Suthers joins the victims claims to a lawsuit by insurance companies throwing the victims into the legal system/court.... nullifying the intent and letter of the law that he stood by the Governor to promote in the press just one month before.

His story that it is the victims lawyers maneuvering that has caused this delay is bunk. It was his own intentional acts making forcing us into the courts... causing us to legal expenses we did not want to incur.

Now that we are stuck in the courts we have taken the gloves off and are all in... think about what you would do if this happened to you. From a taxpayer perspective Mr. Suthers could have done the right thing and in the long run saved the taxpayers millions of dollars. Instead he hides from the press, perpetuates lies and we are treated like criminals.

If you want to know the full story of our last year we have captured it here: [url=http://www.lnff.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.lnff.info[/url]

26 Mar 2013 19:27 #65 by CinnamonGirl
LNFF I am very glad that you are still fighting here. I want to see the state take responsibility for what they caused but even more importantly, I hope upon hope that they truly look at the mistakes that happened that day and make changes going forward. I am going to be really FRANK here. I don't think they are even coming close to understanding what went wrong. And to put you guys through even more hell is hard to understand.

You are doing a great job. Thank you for not giving up!

26 Mar 2013 19:35 #66 by LNFFInfo

CinnamonGirl wrote: LNFF I am very glad that you are still fighting here. I want to see the state take responsibility for what they caused but even more importantly, I hope upon hope that they truly look at the mistakes that happened that day and make changes going forward. I am going to be really FRANK here. I don't think they are even coming close to understanding what went wrong. And to put you guys through even more hell is hard to understand.

You are doing a great job. Thank you for not giving up!

Thank you CG - To quote Scott Appel who lost his beautiful wife, Ann ... They burned down the wrong neighborhood. We are not quitters and we are not a bunch of dummies.

27 Mar 2013 05:41 #67 by homeagain
Seems like a VERY good time to get a HI POWERED atty. involved (like Alan Derchouwiz....) I would be MORE than happy
to contribute to the cause and I would venture to say that others (who have the means) would do the same. It is, after
all, in our collective interest to show the responsible parties that the"little guy" can't be ignored/push around. WHEN THEY
FIRST SHOW YOU WHO THEY ARE......BELIEVE THEM........Maya Angelo.

For the better part of my life, I have "fought" for my rights when I thought I was being treated unfairly.....I do NOT go
softly into the nite and disappear. JMO GET A REALLY GOOD LAWYER.

27 Mar 2013 08:38 #68 by deltamrey
A really good high profile lawyer.....and many do these cases Pro Bono for the exposure.........this will shake up the establishment. Wrongful death civil suite should also be considered. Our prayers are with you.

27 Mar 2013 08:54 #69 by LNFFInfo
Thank you for the great advice... know we are well down that road but can't share strategy publicly since we are now in the courts (against our wishes).

27 Mar 2013 08:58 #70 by LNFFInfo
Linda Kirkpatrick who writes a series Just Around Here sent an article she just published. We share this because it is perhaps the most accurate account of our situation written to date.

It is a must read for any of our neighbors living the the mountains.

http://justaroundhere.com/life-in-everg ... -lnff.html

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds