Lower North Fork Fire Residents ask: Why no state help?

08 Apr 2014 18:36 #101 by homeagain
THANKS for the links.....past several months have certainly CHANGED the picture.....(do I believe
they may CHANGE again....most certainly.....)......the issue of governmental accountability is
woefully lacking and I believe the economy (in general) is fragile and is being ARTIFICIALLY
propped up....JMO......(hope your lawyers are TOP NOTCH and nail these officials to the wall)

My faith in organizations/government/corporations to make things right is ZERO.....JMO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Apr 2014 19:22 #102 by Ashley
Not to diminish all that you have been through, since I work in ICU, I have found that most actions/causes take years to settle especially when dealing with the government. This is rather short as most horror stories go. But I take it you are still in the first phases with much more to go? I am sorry for your losses and wish you the very best.

10 Apr 2014 10:09 #103 by ScienceChic
If you'd like to help, please sign this petition and show the state we are behind our neighbors 100%.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/supp ... ign=button
Support Real Justice for Victims of the Lower North Fork Fire!

In March 2012, the Denver Water Board began a "prescribed burn" in the face of the driest Spring in state history. They did so after performing test burns five months earlier, in which the fire jumped the prescribed boundaries and threatened nearby homeowners. Nonetheless, on March 23, 2012, they set the forest on fire. Predictably, on March 26, 2012, the fire quickly jumped the burn area and incinerated approximately 1,400 acres of private land, killing three people, destroying numerous homes, and property of nearly 35 landowners. The state quickly claimed responsibility for causing the fire, and Democrats and Republicans alike went to the site, promising to right the wrongs caused against the victims of this unnecessary tragedy.

Two years passed, and the state took no action to aid the victims. The claimants were left with no option but to take their complaints to the state. In May 2013, the claimants worked with their state legislators to pass a bill permitting specific legislation to pay for the losses from this fire. Still, the Attorney General's office sat on their hands. The claimants then had to hire attorneys to help them have a voice to resolve their claims. The claimants proposed a system of miniature trials in front of judges to set values to their individual claims. The state (through the AG's office) agreed that the judgments from these judges would be binding on the state.

Beginning in August 2013, the claimants were ordered to prepare complex and thorough claims packets containing information to present at their trials, which were argued in February and March 2014. The state presented evidence in support of their positions in these trials. The claimants did the same. The judges ruled and provided specific judgments with precise values for each claimants' losses. The parties agreed that the numbers were binding. The total of these judges was approximately $16 million dollars, and included payment for the wrongful deaths of three neighbors, as well as payment for the remaining devastating losses.

To make it very clear, the claimants have already had a trial in this case. The Judges awarded values to each of the claimants. The award for the approximate 25 claimants totaled roughly $16mm and was binding on the state. The Jefferson County District Court has adopted this total $16mm award as a final judgment against the state. These judgments were issued with well explained findings of fact, in great detail.

On April 8, 2014,the Attorney General and the claims board reneged on the binding $16mm judgment, and arbitrarily gutted the amounts to be paid to the victims to $11mm. There was no negotiation that resulted in the AG’s reduction to the $11mm. It was arbitrary, done in executive session behind closed doors, did not permit public comment or questioning, and ignored the evidence, written findings of fact, and orders from the judges that are – again - binding on the state. The decision was made by three people in secret.

In short, the claims board totally disregarded the judgments awarded to the claimants by the Jefferson County trial court. The claimants are very disturbed that these judgments are being ignored. No other defendant could avoid a judgment like the state is doing in this case.

But, you can help fight for the citizens of Colorado. You can sign a petition that asks our legislature to honor the judgments given to each of the claimants in the Lower North Fork Fire. Two years ago, representatives from the Republican and Democratic parties assured the claimants that their losses would be repaid. Let's ask the legislature to stop the delay and bring this tragic saga to a close.

Read this article from 7 News for more information:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/wi ... -fork-fire

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Apr 2014 10:46 #104 by homeagain
I signed the petition...I would HIGHLY recommend this group find "celebrity" representation..Erin Brakovich,or some one of Alan Duerchwitz caliber to go after these
UNETHICAL officials..the "small" guy does NOT have a chance unless someone is willing to
grab these "gov.goons" by the "stones" and say DO THE RIGHT THING..)JMO..NO faith in
the system without SERIOUS STRONG ARMING.....JMO

25 Apr 2014 20:58 #105 by ScienceChic
Hey everyone! Heads-up: watch Denver Channel 7 tonight at 10. :ThumbsUp:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Apr 2014 07:48 #107 by jf1acai
Good!

I hope the State will finally quit dragging their feet and pay what they owe.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

26 Apr 2014 07:49 #108 by homeagain
A SMALL STEP......however,I would NOT be surprised if they appeal....the game is "wear them
down".....get a CELEBRITY attorney/rep involved IF this goes to appeal.....JMO

27 Apr 2014 09:49 #109 by Ashley
Appalled by the treatment received by those who were hurt by the state's misconduct. The Attorney General working on behalf of the taxpayers who will have to pay for this is one thing, but he steps way over the line.

30 Apr 2014 12:05 #110 by ScienceChic
State lawmakers will sponsor a bill to pay Lower North Fork Fire victims millions
Compensation may not be $18M ordered by judge
Marshall Zelinger, Denver Channel 7
April 29, 2014

Lawmakers have until next Wednesday to pass a bill to pay Lower North Fork Fire victims, or the victims will have to wait until 2015.

The legislative session ends on Wednesday, May 7. "The minimum time it takes to pass a bill is three days, so we have plenty of time and I fully anticipate that will we get this done," said State Sen. Bill Cadman, R-Colorado Springs. "We can't let these people go another eight months, until the next session, to get this done."

Nicholson is going to be the sponsor of the bill in the Senate. As of Tuesday, she still didn't know if the bill would include money for all $18 million as a result of the order from the Jefferson County judge.

$11 million was already set aside by the Joint Budget Committee. Any additional money would have to be found somewhere in the general fund.

The Attorney General still has until Friday to respond to the Jefferson County judge's ruling that the state should pay the amounts determined by the independent panel and not the state claims board.

Read more at http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... s-millions

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds