Lower North Fork Fire Residents ask: Why no state help?

27 Mar 2013 10:51 #71 by ScienceChic
Linda, yet again, nails it perfectly. Thank you for sharing that article LNFF. To quote CG, I too am glad that you are still fighting, and I'm behind you 100%. Scott's right, they picked the wrong neighborhood!

Edit to add:
It strikes me that no one has pointed out that the only difference between the Waldo Fire, the High Park Fire, and the Lower North Fork Fire was how each was started and the state's response. It's a gross injustice that the High Park and Waldo fire victims have received assistance, yet you haven't. And as Linda says, insurance isn't the panacea that many think it is. High Park Fire insurance payouts 'a slap in the face'

What I want to impress on everyone else is that not a single one of you who lost your homes is back home yet. Nothing's been rebuilt, one year later you are living in temporary arrangements, you've had the usual life demands happen same as us - surgeries, cancer, lost loved ones, school issues, etc. in addition to having to deal with lawyers and insurance demands and this can happen to any one of us since the state is going full-steam ahead with continuing prescribed burns, not attending them properly, and by their loud and clear actions, shirking making amends for their obvious failure. We should all be very alarmed and angry at this travesty of justice. Our drought continues, our high risk fire continues, our fire departments' resources are stretched to the limit, our community continues to argue over whether we should increase funding for them when it's obvious that they are grossly underfunded compared to almost every other fire department district in this state, our federal government is reducing budgets for fighting forest fires, and our state's lack of adequately preparing and addressing that fact but instead allowing risky but profitable practices to continue is plain wrong. All of these factors point to incredible danger ahead for all of us - it's time to prepare and time to step up in activism.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Mar 2013 13:33 #72 by LNFFInfo
Watching Suthers hide from reporters in the know like Marshall Zelinger at 7News was bad enough. However we fully expected him to find another way to continue to spin his web of deceit... He found his safe haven today in the Denver Post: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22877776?source=bb

Even worse are the reactions of the uninformed in these comments: http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtop ... t=22877776

I can't tell you how hurtful and painful it is to victims when they read this.. and yes, they do read this.

27 Mar 2013 14:07 #73 by CinnamonGirl
I saw on the news that DA said they want to help but yet don't also want to "hurt the taxpayers". I could not believe they played that card.

27 Mar 2013 14:20 #74 by homeagain
HIGH PROFILE ATTORNEY will be the only factor to level the playing field.....(or ERIN BROCOVICH.anyone call her?).....being
politically sagacious is probably NOT going to get the desired results....

27 Mar 2013 14:47 #75 by deltamrey
The DA's name is Storey I believe.....remember that at the voting booth.....find a candidate that will take him out and start working now.....that is the process that that really scares the clerks........look at the phone book
lots of unemployed lawyers.......thousands.

27 Mar 2013 14:53 #76 by deltamrey
SC----excellent post.......NOW, there are a number of automated systems now available to detect early a fire......bet few are used here.....no conspiracy but the firefighters thrive on the fires.....they have resisted new tech for decades with little reason.....Satellites can read a soup can and with IR sensors pick up body heat in a back yard.....simple stuff.....but I bet not inbtegrated into a detect/evaluation IT system here in CO.....maybe I am wrong. The firefighting establishment is mired in archaic approaches......I root for the recall Evergreen seeing a few engineers are making a run on the current people....

The voting booth is the solution across the board.

27 Mar 2013 14:58 #77 by deltamrey
My apologies.....the DA is Storey......hummmm is he on our side BTW. Do not know who the AG is...but get rid of him next election. BTW channel 7 got a Peabody for the effort in this area.......work with then a lot.

27 Mar 2013 16:50 #78 by deltamrey
7NEWS wins Peabody for investigation

KMGH-TV has been honored with a Peabody Award for its work investigating the Lower North Fork Fire.

Read more: http://kmgh.m0bl.net/r/1geo25

Sent from the 7News App.

11 Apr 2013 12:35 #79 by LNFFInfo
The Lower North Fork Wildfire victims would like to thank ALCO Hardware in Conifer for their generous donation. - We Appreciate It!

11 Apr 2013 14:35 #80 by FOS

LNFFInfo wrote: Watching Suthers hide from reporters in the know like Marshall Zelinger at 7News was bad enough. However we fully expected him to find another way to continue to spin his web of deceit... He found his safe haven today in the Denver Post: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22877776?source=bb

Even worse are the reactions of the uninformed in these comments: http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtop ... t=22877776

I can't tell you how hurtful and painful it is to victims when they read this.. and yes, they do read this.

Read those responses and just shook my head. Typical flatland mentality.
We are all a bunch of idiots for choosing a quiet, serene place with good neighbors to live in.. How dare us be so stupid. (place sarcasm emoticon here)

I think it is time to show those superior flatlanders what we are made of up here in idiotland.
Do any of you guys need work parties to clear land, plant grass or trees, or start the reconstruction process cause if you do.....our family is happy to come help. Now....we aren't real bright cause we live in this forest with you but we can sure work hard to make sure we take care of our own. Maybe just a transport of a good BBQ pit to cook you folks a nice dinner. You name it. We are there.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds