HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

28 May 2011 09:38 #41 by Sunshine Girl
Replied by Sunshine Girl on topic HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY
Why all the bitching? Maybe you should take it in a pm? :wink: :biggrin: lol :pop

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 May 2011 09:40 - 28 May 2011 09:54 #42 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

Vice Lord wrote: Having said that- nobody's fighting for my freedoms in the mid east. Nobody. They are there to secure an oil pipeline. Our military has become a private security force for our corporate interests abroad. Thats all they are. Oil companies should be throwing big parties for our soldiers and events honoring the dead because they, not us are the benificaries of thier supreme sacrifices.. Oil companies and war profitierers....We don't even get cheap gas outta the deal because wall street speculators are taking it all back at home here. Are soldiers and the American people are just fodder for the ultra rich....It's a plutocracy friends

Wake the fu** up

VL is proof positive that there are more horses' asses than there are horses.

Regards,
Major Bean

28 May 2011 09:52 #43 by CC
Replied by CC on topic HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY
Just so sad. (shakes head)

28 May 2011 10:40 #44 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

navycpo7 wrote:

jmc wrote:

navycpo7 wrote: My son, who is presently on active duty in the Army, he and I will be spending time with other Veterans raising funds that will go to help other Veterans.

Have a great weekend.

Where can we contribute? It is not a zero sum. I would like to participate in the best way possible.

The guys will be at the king soopers aspen park, walmart wadsworth and quincy, walmart c470 and bowles, and the loaf an jug in aspen park. Post 12009 is handing out the poppies, we get donation if one so desires but not required, wearing the poppies shows support for those that are serving, have served and gave the ultimate sacriface. So just go by one of those locations, you can get a poppy and make a donation if you would like to. Thanks in advance. I myself will be at the walmart at Wadsworth and Quincy.

Thank you for the info navy! I can't come by, but I'd like to contribute - please send me a PM where I can send a check, if possible! Thanks!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

28 May 2011 10:54 #45 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. There are many stories as to its actual beginnings, with over two dozen cities and towns laying claim to being the birthplace of Memorial Day. There is also evidence that organized women's groups in the South were decorating graves before the end of the Civil War: a hymn published in 1867, "Kneel Where Our Loves are Sleeping" by Nella L. Sweet carried the dedication "To The Ladies of the South who are Decorating the Graves of the Confederate Dead" (Source: Duke University's Historic American Sheet Music, 1850-1920). While Waterloo N.Y. was officially declared the birthplace of Memorial Day by President Lyndon Johnson in May 1966, it's difficult to prove conclusively the origins of the day. It is more likely that it had many separate beginnings; each of those towns and every planned or spontaneous gathering of people to honor the war dead in the 1860's tapped into the general human need to honor our dead, each contributed honorably to the growing movement that culminated in Gen Logan giving his official proclamation in 1868. It is not important who was the very first, what is important is that Memorial Day was established. Memorial Day is not about division. It is about reconciliation; it is about coming together to honor those who gave their all.

Traditional observance of Memorial day has diminished over the years. Many Americans nowadays have forgotten the meaning and traditions of Memorial Day. At many cemeteries, the graves of the fallen are increasingly ignored, neglected. Most people no longer remember the proper flag etiquette for the day. While there are towns and cities that still hold Memorial Day parades, many have not held a parade in decades. Some people think the day is for honoring any and all dead, and not just those fallen in service to our country.

To help re-educate and remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day, the "National Moment of Remembrance" resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans "To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to 'Taps."

Source

My thanks to all who have served, or are currently serving our country.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

28 May 2011 11:05 #46 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

Vice Lord wrote: Having said that- nobody's fighting for my freedoms in the mid east. Nobody. They are there to secure an oil pipeline. Our military has become a private security force for our corporate interests abroad. Thats all they are. Oil companies should be throwing big parties for our soldiers and events honoring the dead because they, not us are the benificaries of thier supreme sacrifices.. Oil companies and war profitierers....We don't even get cheap gas outta the deal because wall street speculators are taking it all back at home here. Our soldiers and the American people are just fodder for the ultra rich....It's a plutocracy friends

Wake the fu** up

Becky wrote: and just when I think I might start to actually like you.......you pos

I don't doubt our soldiers good intentions.....Not for a second, but the truth is right in front of our faces- we gotta deal with it. They are being used and abused

28 May 2011 11:10 #47 by UNDER MODERATION

major bean wrote:

Vice Lord wrote: Having said that- nobody's fighting for my freedoms in the mid east. Nobody. They are there to secure an oil pipeline. Our military has become a private security force for our corporate interests abroad. Thats all they are. Oil companies should be throwing big parties for our soldiers and events honoring the dead because they, not us are the benificaries of thier supreme sacrifices.. Oil companies and war profitierers....We don't even get cheap gas outta the deal because wall street speculators are taking it all back at home here. Are soldiers and the American people are just fodder for the ultra rich....It's a plutocracy friends

Wake the fu** up

So then...You think they are fighting for our freedoms in the mid east? You think those tiny poor countries of peasants are actually a threat to us and our way of life? Do you really?

28 May 2011 11:20 - 28 May 2011 13:41 #48 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

Vice Lord wrote:

major bean wrote:

Wake the fu** up

So then...You think they are fighting for our freedoms in the mid east? You think those tiny poor countries of peasants are actually a threat to us and our way of life? Do you really?

The duty was to be brave, courageous, fearless, obedient, dependable. The goal was to survive. Soldiers cannot question the political issues of war.
You are an echo of the '60s who did not care if we rotted.

Regards,
Major Bean

28 May 2011 11:29 #49 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY
Memorial Day has become a symbol for the start of summer much more than its intended purpose. Its a shame but it is what it is.

28 May 2011 11:38 #50 by UNDER MODERATION

major bean wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

major bean wrote:

Wake the fu** up

The duty was to be brave, courageous, fearless, obedient, dependable. The goal was to survive. Soldiers cannot question the political questions of war.
You are an echo of the '60s who did not care if we rotted.

And they were right in the 60's..Viet Nam was a monumental mistake..We lost, we ran like thiefs in the night, and guess what?...The entire region didn't fall like dominoes towards communism. It was all a lie, or if you wanna believe....... just a huge and tragic miscalculation.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds