Federal Judge Prohibits Prayer at Texas Graduation Ceremony

05 Jun 2011 11:43 #141 by Rick

LadyJazzer wrote:

CriticalBill wrote: Students of all faiths have been forced to sit through class rooms where their taxpayer funded teachers have tried to push evolution down their throats without a counter balance of intelligent design. I'm not religious myself but I see the hypocrisy here and it's plain as day.

That's because one is truth and one is fantasy... Personally, I'm not interested in having someone else's superstitious fantasy taught in the classroom.

Until scientists can tell us conclusively how everything was created from nothing, maybe teachers should teach the 3-Rs and leave the unknown alone.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2011 11:46 #142 by LadyJazzer
I love it when you make stupid statements... I could watch it for hours.

05 Jun 2011 11:50 #143 by Blazer Bob

LadyJazzer wrote: I love it when you make stupid statements... I could watch it for hours.

rofllol

05 Jun 2011 11:52 #144 by HEARTLESS
Kate, a law, no matter how just or good, is just human made. Religions go beyond this world, this life. So, yes, I value my beliefs above our laws.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

05 Jun 2011 11:54 #145 by HEARTLESS
Neptune, do you remember the commercial "Its not nice to mess with mother nature?" Well, it is fun to mess with mother unnatural. Have a nice day anyway LJ. :biggrin:

05 Jun 2011 12:01 #146 by Kate

HEARTLESS wrote: Kate, a law, no matter how just or good, is just human made. Religions go beyond this world, this life. So, yes, I value my beliefs above our laws.

I mean no disrespect when I say this, but travel down that road and it will lead you to theocracy, which could eventually be Sharia Law. Our Constitution, especially the establishment clause in the First Amendment, was put in place so that our country would not be ruled by a religion.

05 Jun 2011 12:05 #147 by HEARTLESS
Our Constitution allows for all beliefs. I'm not pushing for any particular belief to rule over all others. Should we punish a sports figure that shows religious reverence after scoring a touchdown?

05 Jun 2011 12:08 #148 by HEARTLESS
If the only way to express ourselves in a public place is for it to be spontaneously, expect lots of spontaneity.

05 Jun 2011 12:09 #149 by EddieWess
I do think that the idea of prayer in schools etc. is taken to extremes, by both sides. But I have often wondered, whenever the topic of prayer in schools or other public places come up, what are we supposed to do about Jesus' words in Matthew 5: 5 - 6 on the subject:

“Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you”

And the answer to my question I suspect should be to follow them,

05 Jun 2011 12:21 #150 by Kate

jf1acai wrote:

Why do we need to even have any religion injected in taxpayer funded graduation ceremony?

We don't.

Why do we need to have a prayer?

We don't.

Why do we need to even have a taxpayer funded graduation ceremony?

We don't.

Why do we do it? Because we want to, and we live in a country that allows us to do so. At least it always has, and hopefully will continue to do so.

Who is "we?" I don't want to have it in a graduation ceremony. As you said, there is no need to have prayer in graduation ceremonies, so why have them. Do you have a rational reason other than "want?"

It has been ruled by the Supreme Court, in the decision cited above, that "we" are not allowed to have state sponsored religious ceremonies in public graduation ceremonies.

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds