Federal Judge Prohibits Prayer at Texas Graduation Ceremony

05 Jun 2011 10:10 #131 by Obam me

Here's where they get around it: if the students just "spontaneously" start praying and it isn't led by a school official and it's not scheduled in the program, then it's not state sponsored. Get it? Very clever.

If this was directed at me then let me reassure you that yes, Kate, I get it. It got it a long time ago. And I like it. Clever? Maybe. Legal? All day long. You don't like it? Too bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2011 10:18 #132 by Rick
We don't "need" to say anything, the fact that this is a free country and we CAN say what we want is the point. Obama doesn't have to inject his poolitical ideology into his speeches but it's definitely his right to do so. If some people find a sense of strength in their faith and want to give it credit for their accomplishments, I don't understand why it's so painful to hear. If a student was to thank Allah after another student thanks Jesus and then another thanks the Great Rectifier of Global Warming, that would be just fine with me.

Students of all faiths have been forced to sit through class rooms where their taxpayer funded teachers have tried to push evolution down their throats without a counter balance of intelligent design. I'm not religious myself but I see the hypocrisy here and it's plain as day.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

05 Jun 2011 10:28 #133 by Kate

CriticalBill wrote: We don't "need" to say anything, the fact that this is a free country and we CAN say what we want is the point. Obama doesn't have to inject his poolitical ideology into his speeches but it's definitely his right to do so. If some people find a sense of strength in their faith and want to give it credit for their accomplishments, I don't understand why it's so painful to hear. If a student was to thank Allah after another student thanks Jesus and then another thanks the Great Rectifier of Global Warming, that would be just fine with me.

This explains it far better than I, and is from the Supreme Court decision:

The explanation lies in the lesson of history that was and is the inspiration for the Establishment Clause, the lesson that in the hands of government what might begin as a tolerant expression of religious views may end in a policy to indoctrinate and coerce. A state-created orthodoxy puts at grave risk that freedom of belief and conscience which are the sole assurance that religious faith is real, not imposed.

CriticalBill wrote: Students of all faiths have been forced to sit through class rooms where their taxpayer funded teachers have tried to push evolution down their throats without a counter balance of intelligent design. I'm not religious myself but I see the hypocrisy here and it's plain as day.

When intelligent design is proven scientifically, then perhaps it can be taught in the classrooms. Until then, it has no place beside science in the schools.

05 Jun 2011 10:44 #134 by Obam me

When intelligent design is proven scientifically, then perhaps it can be taught in the classrooms. Until then, it has no place beside science in the schools.

rofllol rofllol rofllol You think evolution is based on scientific evidence? Now THAT'S funny! rofllol rofllol rofllol

Sorry...back on topic!

05 Jun 2011 10:59 #135 by Kate

Trouble wrote:

rofllol rofllol rofllol You think evolution is based on scientific evidence? Now THAT'S funny! rofllol rofllol rofllol

Sorry...back on topic!

Back on topic? Great! The I would ask that you please answer these questions:

Why do we need to even have any religion injected in taxpayer funded graduation ceremony? Why do we need to have a prayer? Can you give me a truthful argument with convincing rationale?

05 Jun 2011 11:09 #136 by HEARTLESS
Kate, those that have religious beliefs hold them above all else. Some would not choose to potentially die to even defend our Constitution and Bill of Rights, but wouldn't hesitate to risk their lives for their beliefs.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

05 Jun 2011 11:13 #137 by Kate

HEARTLESS wrote: Kate, those that have religious beliefs hold them above all else. Some would not choose to potentially die to even defend our Constitution and Bill of Rights, but wouldn't hesitate to risk their lives for their beliefs.

So, are you saying that religious beliefs trump the Constitution? Not slamming you, just asking, because that's what it appears to me you are saying.

05 Jun 2011 11:13 #138 by archer

HEARTLESS wrote: Kate, those that have religious beliefs hold them above all else. Some would not choose to potentially die to even defend our Constitution and Bill of Rights, but wouldn't hesitate to risk their lives for their beliefs.

Which question does that answer?

05 Jun 2011 11:24 #139 by LadyJazzer

CriticalBill wrote: Students of all faiths have been forced to sit through class rooms where their taxpayer funded teachers have tried to push evolution down their throats without a counter balance of intelligent design. I'm not religious myself but I see the hypocrisy here and it's plain as day.

That's because one is truth and one is fantasy... Personally, I'm not interested in having someone else's superstitious fantasy taught in the classroom.

05 Jun 2011 11:31 #140 by jf1acai

Why do we need to even have any religion injected in taxpayer funded graduation ceremony?

We don't.

Why do we need to have a prayer?

We don't.

Why do we need to even have a taxpayer funded graduation ceremony?

We don't.

Why do we do it? Because we want to, and we live in a country that allows us to do so. At least it always has, and hopefully will continue to do so.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds