$50 Lesson

28 Sep 2011 17:43 #141 by Nobody that matters
Replied by Nobody that matters on topic $50 Lesson

Kate wrote:
Interesting how both you and PrintSmith can apparently tell me what Jesus was thinking at that time when he met that man. Again, this is not about forcing people to do something by the government, this is about your individual actions that are either in compliance or not in compliance with what Jesus says to do in order to obtain eternal life.

No, it's what Jesus told that one single man to do in order to obtain eternal life.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Sep 2011 17:48 #142 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic $50 Lesson
What you refuse to accept or acknowledge is that you, a person who does not subscribe to the belief that Jesus was divine, and I, a person who subscribes to that belief, have two totally different understandings of what complying with the message of Jesus entails. Now, I might not be in compliance according to what you believe the Scripture says, but that doesn't mean I am not in compliance according to what God has said in the Scripture.

Repeating your lie over and over doesn't fundamentally transform it into truth Kate. The foundations for the interpretations I have given you are contained in not only the surrounding text of that particular episode in the public life of Jesus, but also in other passages which further establish the context in which it is to be understood. You, on the other hand, have only a single line of text, completely removed from the context in which it was spoken upon which to lay the foundation for your interpretation. Preponderance of evidence alone leads us to the reasoned and logical conclusion that your interpretation is flawed. You simply can't remove a single sentence from a body of work and hope that it will support the premise of your argument. You would get laughed off the stage if you tried that in any debate and you know it.

28 Sep 2011 17:57 #143 by Nobody that matters
Replied by Nobody that matters on topic $50 Lesson

PrintSmith wrote: You would get laughed off the stage if you tried that in any debate and you know it.

I believe she does know it. She's no longer debating. Nobody can blow off that many opposing views without addressing a single one of them without falling quickly from the debate stage into the trolling gutter.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

28 Sep 2011 18:16 #144 by Something the Dog Said
Replied by Something the Dog Said on topic $50 Lesson

PrintSmith wrote: IIRC what it says is to render to Caesar that which is Caesar's and to God that which is God's. Money is not a creation of God, it is a creation of man. Yes, the Christian is obligated to pay the taxes that are required of them by the government they live under. It should also be pointed out that if/when the government requires taxation which is onerous, despotic and unjust the Christian still retains the unalienable right endowed upon them by their Creator to alter or abolish such a government.

Perhaps you could point out that verse in the New Testament?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

28 Sep 2011 18:25 #145 by Kate
Replied by Kate on topic $50 Lesson

Nobody that matters wrote:

Kate wrote:

Kate wrote: I am not the one spinning the bible and adding my interpretation, PS. I'ts right there in black & white, where it says "sell your...." You are the one that is interpreting that it "actually means that we should....."

So, we're making sure we go with an exact literal interpretation? Works for me. Jesus wasn't talking to me, or anyone posting in this thread. He was talking to a single wealthy man that's long since died and become dust. This whole argument has no relevance on those living today, so drop it.

A man walks up to Jesus and asks how to obtain eternal life. Jesus tells him the secret. I would think that would apply to pretty much everyone.

You're wrong. He was talking to that man, not all of us. We're taking a literal interpretation here, remember? no looking into the mind of Jesus to project like you just did. Your rules, not mine.

If I understand you correctly then, there are different ways for different people to get into heaven. Your logic, not mine.

28 Sep 2011 19:00 #146 by outdoor338
Replied by outdoor338 on topic $50 Lesson
Matthew 22:21 "Caesar's," they replied. Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

28 Sep 2011 19:09 #147 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic $50 Lesson
Speaking of getting into Heaven....

A guy dies and goes to Heaven. On his first day St. Peter shows him around and they begin walking down a big corridor with doors on both sides and Peter explains that there are rooms for every style of Christian worship. When they get to the first door Peter looks through the window on the door and says to the guy, “In this room we have the Charismatics. It’s sound proof because they get a little loud sometimes.” They walk a little farther to the next door and he says, “Here we have the Methodists and in that door over there is the genX group.” After showing the guy a few more rooms they get to a door without a window and Peter tells him to be very quiet as they pass. “Shhhhhhh. That’s where we keep the Baptists – they don’t know anyone else is here!”

28 Sep 2011 19:55 #148 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic $50 Lesson

Kate wrote:

Kate wrote:

Kate wrote: I am not the one spinning the bible and adding my interpretation, PS. I'ts right there in black & white, where it says "sell your...." You are the one that is interpreting that it "actually means that we should....."

So, we're making sure we go with an exact literal interpretation? Works for me. Jesus wasn't talking to me, or anyone posting in this thread. He was talking to a single wealthy man that's long since died and become dust. This whole argument has no relevance on those living today, so drop it.

A man walks up to Jesus and asks how to obtain eternal life. Jesus tells him the secret. I would think that would apply to pretty much everyone.

You're wrong. He was talking to that man, not all of us. We're taking a literal interpretation here, remember? no looking into the mind of Jesus to project like you just did. Your rules, not mine.

If I understand you correctly then, there are different ways for different people to get into heaven. Your logic, not mine.

Wait, you took that Literal as the only way to get to Heaven was to get rid of all of your posessions?

28 Sep 2011 20:20 #149 by Kate
Replied by Kate on topic $50 Lesson

The Viking wrote:

Kate wrote:

Kate wrote:

Wait, you took that Literal as the only way to get to Heaven was to get rid of all of your posessions?

Actually, Jesus listed the commandments that were to be followed, then told the man to sell his possessions, give the money to the poor and then follow Jesus. That was how Jesus told him to attain eternal life.

28 Sep 2011 20:25 #150 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic $50 Lesson
Gee, sounds pretty unambiguous to me.... And some here think you have to know "the secret handshake" to be enlightened enough to interpret what was said, and the context of it?

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds