$50 Lesson

28 Sep 2011 14:15 #71 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic $50 Lesson
So you are a person that read a single passage and interpreted it as you see fit. Hence its your opinion.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Sep 2011 14:17 #72 by Kate
Replied by Kate on topic $50 Lesson

HEARTLESS wrote: So you are a person that read a single passage and interpreted it as you see fit. Hence its your opinion.

Yes, it is my opinion based upon what I see clearly written, but the you have not told me your interpretation, nor have you told me where my interpretation is incorrect. I'm waiting.

28 Sep 2011 14:18 #73 by Nobody that matters
Replied by Nobody that matters on topic $50 Lesson

Kate wrote:

HEARTLESS wrote: So Kate, the expert in theology, says we only need to read and understand one passage from the Bible to understand all. Think of all the paper we could have saved. :faint:

I have not claimed to be an expert in theology. That's your assumption to be wrong about. I've asked you repeatedly to please point out where I am incorrect in my interpretation of that passage. It seems very clear to me and you don't seem to have an answer. If I'm wrong, then enlighten me.

Fine, Jesus knew the man had more love for his wealth than for God, so he had to sell everything - his love for his wealth was going to keep him from salvation.

It's not a passage saying everyone has to sell everything, it's a passage telling everyone they need to get rid of whatever they hold more important than God.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

28 Sep 2011 14:20 #74 by HEARTLESS
Kate doesn't seem to grasp personal sacrifice, that is my OPINION.

28 Sep 2011 14:21 #75 by archer
Replied by archer on topic $50 Lesson

Kate wrote:

HEARTLESS wrote: So you are a person that read a single passage and interpreted it as you see fit. Hence its your opinion.

Yes, it is my opinion based upon what I see clearly written, but the you have not told me your interpretation, nor have you told me where my interpretation is incorrect. I'm waiting.

Please kate, don't hold your breath while you wait, it's amazing the pretzels they can twist themselves into when they don't want to answer a direct question.

28 Sep 2011 14:22 #76 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic $50 Lesson

Kate wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: Angry that your lie has been exposed Kate?

There's no lie. You have only succeeded in showing your contempt for those who do not share your beliefs.

You are once again playing games and twisting words to fit your preconceived conclusion. The words of the Christian Messiah are very clear for all to read in the passage from Matthew, yet you do not want to make your point by explaining your interpretation of that passage.

There is a lie. You are attempting to have Christians defend something that their Messiah never said. I am telling you that the Christian interpretation of the passage is quite different from the one you are forwarding. I am a Christian, more specifically a Roman Catholic. I am telling you that the passage you are quoting does not say what you are saying it says and for that reason alone no defense is either possible or necessary. An argument bottomed on a flawed premise is itself flawed Kate, that is one of the rock hard rules that is inescapable.

Your argument, that Jesus told Christians to sell all they owned and give it to the poor, is bottomed on a flawed premise because Jesus said no such thing. That is the lie you are telling here Kate, that Jesus said all Christians must sell all they own and give it to the poor in order to be made complete. I am telling you, as a lifelong Catholic who has extensively studied the catechism of my faith with the help of a great uncle who was a Monsignor in the Catholic Church (the other great uncle who was a Monsignor founded the Catholic Register and died when I was about 4 years old) as well as numerous parish priests, nuns and other members of the laity who instructed me that the lesson Jesus was attempting to teach is substantially different from what you are claiming it to be.

Matthew 19:20 - “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
What he lacked was what Jesus said was the greatest of the commandments, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ (Matthew 22:37). These are the commandments that are missing from this particular passage in Matthew 19:16-22, the ones that pertain to loving God and not placing anything or anyone in front of Him. Do you see how the 19th Chapter of Matthew is setting up the 22nd Kate? Jesus looked into the soul of this one man and saw that the man's love of money and property was greater than his love for God and this is why Jesus challenged him as He did. Does it make more sense now why Jesus said it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than it was for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven?

28 Sep 2011 14:25 #77 by Kate

PrintSmith wrote: There is a lie. You are attempting to have Christians defend something that their Messiah never said. I am telling you that the Christian interpretation of the passage is quite different from the one you are forwarding. I am a Christian, more specifically a Roman Catholic. I am telling you that the passage you are quoting does not say what you are saying it says and for that reason alone no defense is either possible or necessary. An argument bottomed on a flawed premise is itself flawed Kate, that is one of the rock hard rules that is inescapable.

Your argument, that Jesus told Christians to sell all they owned and give it to the poor, is bottomed on a flawed premise because Jesus said no such thing. That is the lie you are telling here Kate, that Jesus said all Christians must sell all they own and give it to the poor in order to be made complete. I am telling you, as a lifelong Catholic who has extensively studied the catechism of my faith with the help of a great uncle who was a Monsignor in the Catholic Church (the other great uncle who was a Monsignor founded the Catholic Register and died when I was about 4 years old) as well as numerous parish priests, nuns and other members of the laity who instructed me that the lesson Jesus was attempting to teach is substantially different from what you are claiming it to be.

Matthew 19:20 - “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
What he lacked was what Jesus said was the greatest of the commandments, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ (Matthew 22:37). These are the commandments that are missing from this particular passage in Matthew 19:16-22, the ones that pertain to loving God and not placing anything or anyone in front of Him. Do you see how the 19th Chapter of Matthew is setting up the 22nd Kate? Jesus looked into the soul of this one man and saw that the man's love of money and property was greater than his love for God and this is why Jesus challenged him as He did. Does it make more sense now why Jesus said it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than it was for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven?

Funny, the passage I read says that these words were directly from Jesus. Are you saying that the Bible is wrong when it attributes those words to him?

28 Sep 2011 14:26 #78 by Kate

Nobody that matters wrote:

Kate wrote:

HEARTLESS wrote: So Kate, the expert in theology, says we only need to read and understand one passage from the Bible to understand all. Think of all the paper we could have saved. :faint:

I have not claimed to be an expert in theology. That's your assumption to be wrong about. I've asked you repeatedly to please point out where I am incorrect in my interpretation of that passage. It seems very clear to me and you don't seem to have an answer. If I'm wrong, then enlighten me.

Fine, Jesus knew the man had more love for his wealth than for God, so he had to sell everything - his love for his wealth was going to keep him from salvation.

It's not a passage saying everyone has to sell everything, it's a passage telling everyone they need to get rid of whatever they hold more important than God.

Thank you.

28 Sep 2011 14:31 #79 by HEARTLESS
So Kate as a non-Christian, do you follow this, or just like to try use it against those that don't hold your beliefs? Simple, direct question.

28 Sep 2011 14:35 #80 by Nobody that matters
Replied by Nobody that matters on topic $50 Lesson

archer wrote:

Kate wrote:

Please kate, don't hold your breath while you wait, it's amazing the pretzels they can twist themselves into when they don't want to answer a direct question.

You need to grow patience.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds